Menu

Thanks for the input re: social skills play group mixing kids on & off the spectrum

Several months ago, I posted asking for input on whether you would be interested in your "normal" child attending a playgroup with kids who were not neurotypical with respect to their social skills. I got some good feedback here.

For those of you who don't recall my original question, a young adult in our church had the vision of offering a play group mixing kids who were on the autism spectrum with kids who weren't, pairing them together with trained volunteers so that 1) all the kids have fun and 2) the kids on the spectrum get to develop their social skills and 3) the "normal" kids get to expand their social skills to include those who don't have the same level of skills.

I wanted to report that the playgroups have been a big success. There was a pilot during the summer, and then we had a fall group that just ended. We had at least a couple of "neurotypical" kids in each group. The parents of all the kids reported that their kids really looked forward to coming to the group.

Because of the volunteer element and use of church space, they were able to charge only for snacks & materials, so it cost next to nothing. I'm just so excited about the potential for this to impact lives in a profound way! Just wanted to share the good outcome!

Several months ago, I posted asking for input on whether you would be interested in your "normal" child attending a playgroup with kids who were not neurotypical with respect to their social skills. I got some good feedback here.

For those of you who don't recall my original question, a young adult in our church had the vision of offering a play group mixing kids who were on the autism spectrum with kids who weren't, pairing them together with trained volunteers so that 1) all the kids have fun and 2) the kids on the spectrum get to develop their social skills and 3) the "normal" kids get to expand their social skills to include those who don't have the same level of skills.

I wanted to report that the playgroups have been a big success. There was a pilot during the summer, and then we had a fall group that just ended. We had at least a couple of "neurotypical" kids in each group. The parents of all the kids reported that their kids really looked forward to coming to the group.

Because of the volunteer element and use of church space, they were able to charge only for snacks & materials, so it cost next to nothing. I'm just so excited about the potential for this to impact lives in a profound way! Just wanted to share the good outcome!

I'm so glad this has been working out for you. I'm around a couple of AS kids in scouts and it makes me happy to see them able to successfully joke and play around with the other kids (and makes me fret and want to tweek things when they are struggling).

Excellent.

I have a teen with autism, and I firmly believe that all of that social play time and coaching she got as a child helped her to become the marvelous young lady she is today. You are really making a difference for these children, both with autism and without, that will be lifelong.

:grouphug:

Cat

I am visiting in my hometown. We went to visit long time family friends who have an approx 25 yo highly functioning autistic son. Our families watched as my 5 mo dd crawled across the floor to him, grab his glasses, pull his hair all the while he had a great big smile on his face. He really enjoyed her and it made quite an impression on me. I told my dh that any time we are in town that I would like to make it a point to get together with them so that my dd and their ds can spend some time together.:001_smile:

I'm glad this has been a success for all involved. My dd has been in a social skills class the past two summers and I think the part that is lacking is involvement of NT kids. It is through her OT/Speech clinic so all of the kids have issues and there is no one to model except the therapists (who are wonderful but they are not kids). I would jump at the opportunity to have her be involved in something like you offer.

That sounds fantastic. I think my dd has been my ds's best therapist. Having an NT kid to play with and learn from is so important! I would have joined your group when ds was younger. I agree with the pp that lots of practice in social skills when ds was young was a big part of his recovery and what makes him a fantastic teen.

Great job!