Menu

Sons registering for the draft (selective service)

from his school, and it was the same as the one we later got from the Post Office. It asks for all his information, birthdate and SSN, on a postcard! Mail is secure and all, but that seemed careless. There was a staff member at public school, who would help the guys do it online, but for some reason my son did not. I thought he had. The warnings are dire (like certain time after birthday with no registration gets severe penalties) so we filled out the card, put in a letter, in an envelope, and got his draft card in return mail, pretty much. It said he was to carry it in his wallet, I believe and had his SSN printed on it. Well, duh. I'm preaching to my kids about keeping numbers secure, and memorizing things like that....and here this comes. SO I made a copy for my file, and he put the original in his file. I hope.

About.com says its easiest to just register on-line. It looks easiest. Here tis.

LBS

Hmmm...I'm not sure. My son received a card in the mail saying he was registered. I can't recall if we had to mail something back from that notice or not. I do know that in that notice they gave him a card to put in his wallet.

Maybe he signed up when he got his learner's permit? (He doesn't have a regular driver's license yet.) Or maybe he signed up when he tried out the Navy Sea Cadets for a few months when he was fifteen?

Either way, he's registered...and he didn't have to go look anywhere to do it. It came to him in the mail.

Yes, I think in some states, in order to get a license or a learning permit, you have to agree to be registered when you turn 18. I think that is what happened to my son. I was just thinking the other day that I need to check whether he changed his address when he moved since you need to keep the addresses current until age 25 or if you join the military (that is what my dh did).

Yes, I think in some states, in order to get a license or a learning permit, you have to agree to be registered when you turn 18. I think that is what happened to my son. I was just thinking the other day that I need to check whether he changed his address when he moved since you need to keep the addresses current until age 25 or if you join the military (that is what my dh did).

Same here.

My oldest signed up when we filled in the FAFSA for college financial aid. (One question asked if he had registered, and when we said he had not, it took us to the site to register.)

My son also registered through the FAFSA, but we had to complete the FAFSA for him before he turned 18, and I remember there was a box to check for something like "sign me up when I turn 18". After he turned 18, he got something in the mail saying he was registered.

HTH,

Brenda

Hmmm...I'm not sure. My son received a card in the mail saying he was registered. I can't recall if we had to mail something back from that notice or not. I do know that in that notice they gave him a card to put in his wallet.

Maybe he signed up when he got his learner's permit? (He doesn't have a regular driver's license yet.) Or maybe he signed up when he tried out the Navy Sea Cadets for a few months when he was fifteen?

Either way, he's registered...and he didn't have to go look anywhere to do it. It came to him in the mail.

Same here. A nice card arrived in the mail telling him that he is registered. We didn't have to do anything or send anything back.