Menu

Learning How to "Do Advent" (for a newcomer)

We were raised in a non-liturgical Christian tradition, and have never actually celebrated Advent. We would like to begin some new traditions during this season, perhaps including Saint Nicholas Day, a Joshua Tree, and Advent.

We know little to nothing about any of these "paths of remembrance," except that they exist (and that we know nothing)!

Please advise. :bigear:

It's Jesse Tree. For your first year, I wouldn't suggest doing both an Advent wreath with the liturgical readings and a Jesse Tree--it might be too much and you can always add something later. How old are your kids? If they are elementary or younger, I'd suggest a Jesse Tree. You can google online to find patterns for ornaments, etc. This year, since it's late, I would suggest making them on cardstock for the kids to color and hanging them on a table-top size tree. (Or if your kids are old enough, they can make the ornaments of self-drying clay or Sculpey. ) You hang the first ornament on Dec. 1st. The Jesse Tree readings trace God's plan of redemption through the OT to the birth of Christ.

If your kids are older, you might want to do the liturgical readings. You can google Liturgical readings year A Advent or Lectionary Year A Advent and find the readings. I use only the Sunday readings but spread them over the week. There will be a reading from a Psalm, another OT passage, a gospel, and an epistle. These readings are focused on preparing for the second coming of Christ while celebrating the first coming. The first Sunday of Advent was two days ago. The good thing is that you just need an Advent wreath and a Bible.

The books JOtham's Journey, Benjamin's Passage, and Tabitha's Travels are quite popular, but there is a lot of "action" in them--all kinds of danger, kidnappings, narrow escapes, lots of cliff-hangers. My boys LOVED them. They are set in the time of the birth of Christ and the story always ends at the manger, but meanwhile, there is all kinds of Indiana Jones stuff. :)

My boys are both quite young, so I just tell a brief story of the meaning of each Advent candle. We also have an Advent song we sing as we light the candles - 5 verses and a chorus, so adding a verse each week. After lighting the Advent candle(s) we go around the table choosing carols to sing. Then we light angel chimes and sit quietly. The boys each have an Advent calendar. We are going to celebrate St. Nicholas Day for the first time this year, and we don't do the Jesse tree, so no help there.

http://www.aholyexperience.com/ if you go there you can get a link to a free devotional that includes jesse tree ornaments. We put them on our regular tree. We are doing a little spiral on the table this year to keep track of the days as we go. I don't get to all the days every day. I have to double up some days. But, we enjoyed it last year.

http://www.aholyexperience.com/ if you go there you can get a link to a free devotional that includes jesse tree ornaments. We put them on our regular tree. We are doing a little spiral on the table this year to keep track of the days as we go. I don't get to all the days every day. I have to double up some days. But, we enjoyed it last year.
This is beautiful!

An easy tradition to start is singing Christmas Carols together by candlelight. When we have time (we aim for 3-4x per week), we do this after we do our reading/calendars and it just makes our evenings feel more special.

This is a nice place to get some ideas for St Nicholas Day. There is no *right* way to do it - have fun!

We use a book that was put out by the Lutheran Aid Society, at one time. We are Methodist and it works perfectly for us:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/057004992X/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

There's also a version of this book that allows your children to color the ornaments themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Christmas-Devotions-Laura-Zimmerman/dp/057004992X

You might also look up Chrismon trees/ornaments/symbols, which we use in the Methodist church.

My dc have loved doing a Jesse tree every year. This is a beautiful devotional. I agree that it's a good idea to start with one Advent tradition and see how you like it.

This is a great book!

I'd suggest starting simply with family devotions in the evenings. We have a simple Advent wreath (many choices at cbd.com). You start with lighting just one candle this week and next Wednesday light two and so on until Christmas.

Even little ones seem to pay attention when devotions are by candlelight!

Read from the book above or whatever devotional you like. There are also dvds with devotions. We have used both of the dvds in this link. They are done by Catholics (which we aren't), but work pretty well for anyone. They are a little "hokey", but easy-peasy;o)

After your Scripture and devotion, close with prayer and a Christmas carol or other Christian Christmas song.

Here's the dvd link:

http://www.christianbook.com/advent-calendar-on-2-volumes/pd/010134?item_code=WW&netp_id=616569&event=ESRCN&view=details

There are so many ideas and you can try them in the years to come!

Does your church celebrate Advent? I have such lovely memories of our special Wednesday night Advent (and Lenten) services! Here's a directory of churches where you would be welcomed: http://www.lcms.org/ca/www/locators/nchurches/church.asp

Enjoy this time of preparing for Christ's coming!

Does your church celebrate Advent?

No, not really. We talk and talk about "Christmas is coming," but we don't really read Scripture about Christ coming... KWIM? There is a difference.

Then, during December, the children have their little Christmas play (that's one Sunday), the youth might do something (that's another Sunday), then we have "Christmas Sunday" -- the one that falls closest to Christmas -- that's another Sunday, and by that time, the Sundays are pretty much used up. There is no tradition of doing anything at all at home during the week, unless you count buying gifts, wrapping, decorating, putting up the tree, listening to Christmas music, baking, and so on as spiritual preparation.

I suppose I'm just a bit cynical this year? ;) No, really, I just want to be pointed in the right direction, and I think that would be looking towards Jesus.

Thanks for your advice to grow into this way of celebrating a year at a time.

Thanks for getting us started. I didn't have time to get an Advent candle yet, but we'll try to find one for next year. Last night we lit a candle, read from the OT prophets, sang a carol, and they girls opened their "candy calendars." ;) It was so nice to simply take a moment out to focus on the first coming of Christ, and to realize how much our hearts are longing for His second coming.

Thank you.

We love our Jesse Tree devotionals. It's been an important tool in teaching our kids as well as a good focus on the Advent.

There are also books like Bartholomew's Passage that are sit down, read-alouds to be done during the Advent season. Easy to catch up on if you wanted to get one for the year.

But more importantly than 'what' you use, it's THAT you do something :) Even if it's just sitting together, talking about the upcoming event, spending time together reflecting on the season, that's a great start!

In the Catholic church Advent is not only a time for preparing for the coming of Baby Jesus at Christmas, but also a time for remembering that He will be coming again at an unknown time. So it's supposed to be a time similar to Lent with extra prayers, fasting, etc. But honestly this isn't talked about in all parishes, so I didn't know this for many years. I had always thought it was just a time of joyful anticipation of Christmas. And it is definitely that, but it's more. Some churches give out Advent reflection books which usually have some thoughts tied in with Scripture, a meditation, and a prayer. This can take as little as five minutes or you can spend more time.

Happy Advent everyone! :)

In the Catholic church Advent is not only a time for preparing for the coming of Baby Jesus at Christmas' date=' but also a time for remembering that He will be coming again at an unknown time. Happy Advent everyone! :)[/quote']

This is true for all (or at least most) liturgical churches. In fact, I am pretty sure the Scripture readings are the same.

We're doing this Jesse Tree devotional this year. It's really nice and has activities for each day, too. Because I'm hoping to do as many of the activities as we can, we start our school day with the Jesse Tree.

Day 2 was to create something good...which reminded me to get a letter out to our previous retired neighbor who lives alone. So, we started school that day by decorating some printer paper with Christmas stamps and writing letters to her...even the 3 year old got into it and drew her a picture of "a giant".

I printed the ornaments in color and laminated them. We're hanging them on a 3 foot artificial tree DH bought for this purpose for just $18. It's sitting on a corner table in our living room.

We really like the advent calendars and counting down to Christmas. There are all sorts of lovely things out there to do this with. You can get ones with chocolate or toys, ones with pictures or you can make your own. I posted on my blog this week about the one I made for my youngest dd.

If I wasn't so afraid of matches, I would love to do the advent candles & wreath. It is very lovely. Each week of advent you light one more candle (3 pink, 1 purple) and on Christmas you light the white one in the center.

We also spend time talking about Christmas and reading stories. It is really my favorite time of the year.:001_smile:

I didn't even know about another tree! :tongue_smilie: All I've heard of was an Advent calendar. I'm Catholic, does it differ?

I used these ideas to make our Jesse tree. I cut out a large tree from green felt and we made felt ornaments with the symbols for each day. After reading the Scripture for that day, we hang up the corresponding ornament. We do this in addition to our advent wreath.

I'm thinking about doing something with the O Antiphons this year also. I've seen where some moms have bought little wood boxes and blocks painted with the different symbols for each Antiphon. Looks like a fun idea.

If I wasn't so afraid of matches, I would love to do the advent candles & wreath. It is very lovely. Each week of advent you light one more candle (3 pink, 1 purple) and on Christmas you light the white one in the center.

We also spend time talking about Christmas and reading stories. It is really my favorite time of the year.:001_smile:

I think you meant 3 purple and 1 pink - the 3rd week would be the pink one. Although maybe you didn't? I only recently discovered that sometimes Advent wreath candles are even red. It is a beautiful time of year, isn't it? I love watching the wonder on the children's faces as the candles glow.

This is what we are doing. Though we are behind because I can not figure where to put the ornaments...

In the Catholic church Advent is not only a time for preparing for the coming of Baby Jesus at Christmas' date=' but also a time for remembering that He will be coming again at an unknown time. So it's supposed to be a time similar to Lent with extra prayers, fasting, etc.

Happy Advent everyone! :)[/quote']

Our Anglican (Anglo-Catholic) churches recognize Advent as a penitential season. So December, when most of the world celebrates the Christmas season with trees and parties is not our Christmas season. That comes later -- from Christmas Eve through Twelfth Night/Epiphany. I think that an important part of Advent is to reorganize your mental calendar.

For Eastern Orthodox, Advent is also penitential and is slightly longer than in western churches.

A great St Nicholas resource:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=23

ETA We do an Advent wreath with purple and pink candles, purple and pink bows, purple and pink artificial berries, pine, holly and ivy. (You can get everything -- wreath form, candles etc at most craft stores.

Then on Xmas Eve, we redo the wreath with cream roses, bunches of pearls (artificial, obviously), gold pomegranates, and one white pillar candle in the center, tied with gold ribbon. (Not as tacky as it sounds.) Thank you, AC Moore!

Edited by Alessandra

This is true for all (or at least most) liturgical churches. In fact, I am pretty sure the Scripture readings are the same.

Laurie you're absolutely right. In re-reading my post it could sound like I was saying the Catholic church has a corner on this, and that wasn't my intent at all. It's just something I've become aware of in recent years. :tongue_smilie:

Alessandra your Advent wreath sounds beautiful! :)

Celebrating the Christmas season from Christmas Eve through the Epiphany is more appropriate, but I usually can't wait. Maybe that's something to consider this year - thank you! :)