Menu

Does anyone not use produce bags at the market? What do you use? Also, did you see...

.. the article about lead in reusable grocery bags?

I want to cut out as much plastic from our lives as possible. Do you reuse produce bags? We buy a lot of produce, and I'm not sure how to buy 5lbs of tomato and not use the produce bags. Do you use reusable grocery bags, but use the produce bags?

I'm cleaning out my pantry, and I was surprised to see such a mountain of plastic bags. I was ready to go out and buy the reusable bags and then I saw this: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/11/15/2010-11-15_reusable_grocery_bags_made_in_china_found_to_contain_lead_fueling_calls_for_fda_.html. It seems like the lead content is nothing to worry about?

What do you use?

I do not use those little bags. I usually just get my fruit with my hand, put it in my basket. At check-out I lay it on the belt. She weighs it and puts it aside. S/he bags my groceries and then puts the veggies and then fruits on top.

My husband, on the other hand, came home last night with a produce bag with one, single, lime. That bagged lime was double bagged with a bottle of fizzy water. Three bags for two items. sheesh.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

I try to use as few produce bags as possible.

What I do is try to combine produce into one bag when possible (if it's a per-item basis and not per-pound basis). For example, I will put my 2 bunches of scallions in with a bunch of cilantro, or with the celery.

I also don't put items such as lemons or avocados into bags, since I don't typically buy more than 2 or 3 at a time.

But for tomatoes, apples, etc., I haven't found a way around the plastic bags. I thought about re-using ones from home but that seems like a lot of trouble and I'm worried that even if they look clean they might not be.

I crocheted my own reusable bags. My neighbor made some produce bags out of old t-shirts and they work great. I'd be more inclined to crochet them, since my sewing machine and I aren't on good terms, but you can make whatever you need for practically nothing and you don't have to worry about lead. You can be sure it's just cotton.

I remember reading long ago (maybe it was in the Tightwad Gazette?) a suggestion to use mesh lingerie bags for your produce. Haven't tried it. I might have to. I'm tired of all those produce bags. I try to minimize use when possible, so single fruits or veggies don't get a bag. No bags for bananas or a cabbage. But when you're buying 3 or 4 different kinds of apples and getting 3 or 4 of each kind, you kind of need to bag them just to keep them corralled.

Cinder

I remember reading long ago (maybe it was in the Tightwad Gazette?) a suggestion to use mesh lingerie bags for your produce. Haven't tried it. I might have to. I'm tired of all those produce bags. I try to minimize use when possible, so single fruits or veggies don't get a bag. No bags for bananas or a cabbage. But when you're buying 3 or 4 different kinds of apples and getting 3 or 4 of each kind, you kind of need to bag them just to keep them corralled.

Cinder

Oh, brilliant! I've been thinking about this issue too, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on it right now. Mainly I've been reusing the produce bags I do take as much as possible not using bags when I don't need them. But I can go to our local dollar store and grab a few of these--they're relatively easy to see through too!

I have a whole stash of mesh bags that my onions and lemons come in. However, several times at Whole Foods when I used them, the bagger removed my produce and put them in plastic bags. :tongue_smilie:

This is what's going to happen to me.. I buy my produce at an "international" market. I know I'm going to get in a few arguments using these. :D

Eventually, I'll break them down.

My market is actually pretty health conscious, so I could see them eventually selling them.

I see so many I bags I like, now all I have to do is choose!

Thanks everyone.

:bigear:

I don't use the plastic bags. We have to weigh our own produce and put the sticker on it before going to the check out. I put it all on the tray (no bag), and place the sticker on one piece. When I get to the check out, I put the one piece with the sticker on the belt, show the cashier the rest and toss them into a cloth bag. No problems. Those plastic bags make me crazy!

forgive me for being stingy, especially on the t-shirt bags, but don't you think that would add to the weight/cost of your produce?

the thing about the produce bags at the store is that they don't weigh anything. In not using anything, at least I don't add to my grocery bill.

Do you really think the cashier hates me? (from the t-shirt bad tutorial)

:confused:

;)

forgive me for being stingy, especially on the t-shirt bags, but don't you think that would add to the weight/cost of your produce?

the thing about the produce bags at the store is that they don't weigh anything. In not using anything, at least I don't add to my grocery bill.

Do you really think the cashier hates me? (from the t-shirt bad tutorial)

:confused:

;)

:001_huh: it's a t-shirt, just a bit of cotton fabric, I don't imagine it weighing enough to make a difference in what you pay for produce, but maybe I'm wrong. You could have the cashier weigh the bag for you, :lol: to see if it registers on the scale. Or weigh it on your kitchen scale, if you have one.

ETA: just to be clear, I'm not :lol: at 'you', I'm :lol: at the thought of the cashier's face if you ask her to weigh the bag. :001_smile:

:001_huh: it's a t-shirt, just a bit of cotton fabric, I don't imagine it weighing enough to make a difference in what you pay for produce, but maybe I'm wrong. You could have the cashier weigh the bag for you, :lol: to see if it registers on the scale. Or weigh it on your kitchen scale, if you have one.

ETA: just to be clear, I'm not :lol: at 'you', I'm :lol: at the thought of the cashier's face if you ask her to weigh the bag. :001_smile:

Well, according to the tshirt bag tutorial girl, the cashier already hates me -- it's hate to push my luck!

On the other hand, we do weigh our own containers for bulk items. Maybe so . . .

and hey, it wouldn't be the first time someone :lol: at me.

;)