Menu

Read Aloud question. Again :)

momchiroto2

I am reading to my boys (4.5 and 3) and we are enjoying it immensely. However, I have noticed my 4.5 year old does not seem to enjoy it when i read a chapter book or a book with no illustrations. I know this could be normal for this age, but at what point should I expect him to follow the story as I read it to him, regardless of whether the pages have illustrations?

Thank you :)

How many books without illustrations have you tried? Could it be that you haven't hit on a book that really engages him yet? Or could it be that he simply isn't yet used to stories without pictures, because you've read him lots of picture books before? Maybe the stories are a bit long or complicated? If your child is having difficulty following the narrative, you could try reading and/or telling from memory some shorter, simpler stories that he likes, just until he gets used to listening without looking at pictures. If he seems to need to do something other than just listening, you might like to try reading while he works with playdoh or something else to occupy the hands. If he's very active and doesn't like to sit still, he might like to act out a story that you tell. However you do it, as long as you keep on having stories and making them interesting, he'll eventually come to enjoy the longer books.

Maybe read in shorter sessions. Instead of the whole chapter (without pictures), read half one night and the other half the next night.

Or you may just be reading him books above his comprehension. That could be a possibility. I use this tool to get an idea of what reading level a book is:

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do?ESP=TBW/ib//acq/tbw_slimnav_Teachers///nav/txtl////

You can type in titles and get other book recommendations for books on the same level.

My 4.5 year old listens to short stories with no illustrations and loves audiobooks. I do not, however, read chapter books to him. IMHO there is no need to rush to chapter books. There are many wonderful picture books to share with young children. When I do start chapter books, I will look for editions that have illustrations at least every few pages.

Two answers:

1--It may just be his age. Take it slow, enjoy some picture books for a while. He's still a little guy, and there is plenty of time to ease into more advanced material. First establish that read-aloud time is close, loving, fun time together.

2--As you ease into books without illustrations, let your child color or do play dough or knit or crochet. My son, who is a VERY male, very athletic guy, did enjoy both knitting and crocheting while I read, for a couple years. As he got older we talked about keeping that particular hobby private because most boys don't get it and think it's just a girl thing to do. Ds was fine with that. The point is, though, that something kind of mindless to do with the hands really does help a child focus and listen to the story.

Two answers:

1--It may just be his age. Take it slow, enjoy some picture books for a while. He's still a little guy, and there is plenty of time to ease into more advanced material. First establish that read-aloud time is close, loving, fun time together.

:iagree: There is nothing wrong with sticking with picture books at that age. You'll probably see a lot of improvement in his ability to listen and comprehend (that's a biggie) longer, more complicated stories in the next couple of years but there is no reason to rush into it.

There are so many fantastic picture books with great literary depth to enjoy at this age. There are also many richly illustrated books with a great amount of text. There is a middle ground, although at this point, what is the point? You want him to love books. Here's an article worth reading:

www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/us/08picture.html?_r=1

There are 'chapter' books with simple illustrations as well as more lavish ones.

My Father's Dragon has simple illustrations:

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/109/310588404_ab31100ce0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonjashield/310588404/&usg=___p1YGAQo-EEmdk6cxXxFs5j8K-8=&h=364&w=500&sz=173&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=EA5P6fhHjx4pvM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmy%2Bfather%2527s%2Bdragon%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1

The maps in My Father's Dragon delighted my childen.

Or The Lighthouse Family series, which has detailed illustrations in a short chapter book form. These are beautifully written.

www.lookingglassreview.com/html/the_lighthouse_family_books.html

Edited by LibraryLover

Your kids have the rest of their lives to enjoy books. Spend time savoring picture books at this young age! There are too many wonderful, beautiful books to skip! If you spend your time reading chapter books to your pre-schoolers, when will they get to experience books told in picture AND story?

I'm sure you haven't moved to chapter books entirely, but maybe you should hold off on them for awhile. Pull the chapter books out when your dc are a little older. Young children love imagining the story as they look at the picture and hear you reading.

There are so many fantastic picture books with great literary depth to enjoy at this age. There are also many richly illustrated books with a great amount of text. There is a middle ground, although at this point, what is the point? You want him to love books. Here's an article worth reading:

www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/us/08picture.html?_r=1

There are 'chapter' books with simple illustrations as well as more lavish ones.

My Father's Dragon has simple illustrations:

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/109/310588404_ab31100ce0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonjashield/310588404/&usg=___p1YGAQo-EEmdk6cxXxFs5j8K-8=&h=364&w=500&sz=173&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=EA5P6fhHjx4pvM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmy%2Bfather%2527s%2Bdragon%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1

The maps in My Father's Dragon delighted my childen.

Or The Lighthouse Family series, which has detailed illustrations in a short chapter book form. These are beautifully written.

www.lookingglassreview.com/html/the_lighthouse_family_books.html

Thank you for this, it puts things in perspective for me.

Your kids have the rest of their lives to enjoy books. Spend time savoring picture books at this young age! There are too many wonderful, beautiful books to skip! If you spend your time reading chapter books to your pre-schoolers, when will they get to experience books told in picture AND story?
Another consideration is that the vocabulary of picture books meant to be read aloud is typically richer than that of simple chapter books written for early grade readers.

I think you can have a balance but you need to do what you think is best.

I read a chapter book to my big girl at bedtime (meaning a chapter or two at a time) and I read (lots) picture books to both girls during the day.

Here's a sampling of what we are doing:

Picture books:

-Bible stories

-Peak with Books booklist (reading through for the second time)

-Sonlight P3/4 booklist (almost done and will read through again)

-whatever we have in the home library

-my big girl picks out 20 picture books from the library

-Magic School Bus books are a hit (both picture books and readers)

Chapter books:

-currently reading Magic School Bus series

-we've read all sorts of other things too: Pony Pals, Stuart Little, Arthur (PBS show), Elliot's Park, the Ralph S Mouse books, etc