Menu

Does anyone have experience with external version (to flip a baby)?

I'm 37 weeks and my baby is transverse. The dr. thinks I'm a good candidate for external version. The dr. also informed me that she has done this procedure just once before. I've heard more horror stories about it than successes- how much it hurts, caused need for emergency c-section etc.

I don't know what to think. I want to avoid the c-section if at all possible, but I'll end up that way if the baby doesn't turn anyways.

Any experience with this procedure? Any other tips on how to get this baby head down?

Thanks,

Marie

How about a chiropractor?

A good chiropractor, who has the proper training can perform a technique, which is a series of VERY gentle manipulations to help turn the baby. I believe it's called the Webster technique.

I've had it done myself with a breech baby and the results were amazing. I've had several friends go this route with similar results.

You can google Webster Technique and you should find information on it. It's definitely LESS invasive and safer than an external version, but I would make sure you have a chiropractor that you trust.

I went to a chiropractor who used the Webster's Technique to turn the baby.

It was a very gentle approach, so much so that I had my doubts it would work.

I was fortunate that my chiropractor trained with the man who developed the technique.

Baby was in the correct position by delivery date.

Maybe you can find a chiropractor in your area who is trained in this.

Another resource to try would be at http://www.spinningbabies.com

There are a lot of suggestions for positions to try (like on your hands and knees with your rear in the air) that help to reposition babies.

In addition to that, I would second (third?) the vote for the chiropractor before I tried the external version. But I would definitely try the version rather than immediately signing up for a c-section.

Try asking around doulas/midwives if they know anyone who is especially "good" at this.

I have a friend who was in a similar situation. Her doctor tried to flip the baby from the outside--no luck. Her doula knew of a doctor (ob) who had a rep as being good at this. Called, got an appointment just to flip the baby. It took him only a few minutes to manipulate the baby into the proper position. Guess it just takes someone with experience and the proper "touch"!

Anyhow, you might try calling some folks and asking if they know anyone. Or, if you live in So Cal...?

I went to a chiropractor who used the Webster's Technique to turn the baby.

It was a very gentle approach, so much so that I had my doubts it would work.

I was fortunate that my chiropractor trained with the man who developed the technique.

Baby was in the correct position by delivery date.

Maybe you can find a chiropractor in your area who is trained in this.

:iagree: Webster technique is a miracle. My 2nd child was breech at 37 wks and one day after this spinal manipulation he was head-down! That being said, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do the external version. I had that w/ my 1st child. It is 100x worse than labor itself! OMG...it hurt soooo much. I felt like somebody was ripping my open. I had a nurse restraining my legs, another my arms, etc. so I wouldn't move. No pain meds, no nothing. DON'T do it!

Also agree w/ spinning babies website. They have several techniques for turning a breech baby. I have a book that list a few as well. If I find it, I will post again! Good luck!

I had external version for my 12 yo. She was breech. I think it was about 37 weeks.

My doctor was a family practitioner who also delivered babies. She referred me to someone with more experience for the actual version.

It went very smoothly. The doctor popped dd's little bottom right out of my pelvis, and spun her around in short order. Then I had to hang around awhile to make sure everything was alright. The doctor who did the version commented that it was one of the easiest he's ever done.

We had gone to see a movie the night before, since they had warned us that things might go poorly and we might end up with a C-section the day of the version. But dd actually ended up being 2 weeks late on top of everything else, so it was quite a while before the birth.

Our pastor's wife had an internal version. She told me about it after the external version. It sounded ... alarming. And painful.

But my external version? No problem. I usually forget it happened. It was a lot less exciting than the birth.

How about a chiropractor?

A good chiropractor, who has the proper training can perform a technique, which is a series of VERY gentle manipulations to help turn the baby. I believe it's called the Webster technique.

I've had it done myself with a breech baby and the results were amazing. I've had several friends go this route with similar results.

You can google Webster Technique and you should find information on it. It's definitely LESS invasive and safer than an external version, but I would make sure you have a chiropractor that you trust.

I second (or third?) this. I had this done when dd was breech at 36 weeks. I needed to go in twice/week for two weeks, but she did eventually turn and I had a successful homebirth at 38 weeks!! It is such a gentle technique and felt really good! If you go this route, be sure to find a chiro who has actually been trained to do it. Not all are.

I was going to a group of OB/GYNs, and when I needed a version, it was done by the doctor who was most experienced/good at it. Even the nurses at the hospital knew he was good at it.

It was done in Labor & Delivery at the hospital, and I had an IV inserted with something to keep my uterus from contracting. Had I needed an emergency C-section, the OR was next door. That made me feel better. The ultrasound helped too; we could keep an eye on the baby and hear his heartbeat.

I would describe it as very intense, but very quick. When it was scheduled, the nurse said I could come an hour early, and get an epidural. I'm glad I chose not to; it was painful, but so fast. (At least in my experience.) But others clearly suffer more than I did, so an epidural's not a bad idea.

Definitely get a doctor who has lots of experience in versions. I think that's why my experience was quick and easier. Because of the small risk of needing an emergency C-section, I wouldn't be comfortable having this done anywhere other than the hospital. JMO.

Wendi

Wendi

I HEARTILY second the suggestions for SpinningBabies.com! Much less invasive, and the techniques have a very high success rate.

I don't recall that particular website being available when dd was due, but I used some of the techniques they describe to encourage her to move into position when she was breech at 37 weeks. I would have been very hesitant to do an external version.

BTW, my OB said he had seen a lot of success with moxibustion too. He said he had absolutely not idea why it worked, but he'd seen it work enough that he would recommend trying it (one of those "it can't hurt" things) before considering a version.

They tried this with my youngest and it did not work. He actually had a foot down and was kind of lodged in there. But they tried and tried and it did not work at all. I did not have a epidural or anything like that, it was not painful but very uncomfortable. They worked on it for about 30 minutes but since that leg was stretched down there it was not going to work.

hth

lori

Tried it with my 2nd who flipped breach about 34 weeks. It HURT and didn't work.

Before trying the external version I read about the Webster technique for flipping babies. A chiropractor friend hadn't heard about it, but he read up on it and tried for me for no charge. Didn't work obviously because I tried the external version. Due to other peoples experiance I think mine just wasn't a good candidate for either. I do have bigger babies - this one ended up being 8lb 7oz. He also had an arm up by his head when dr delivered him via c-section a couple weeks later.

My Dr. was reluctant (though willing if I wanted) to do the external version. She said they require a reserved hospital room and anasthesiologist on hand during the procedure, in case there is a cord emergency (a risk of the version). I can't remember all the other things she said to discourage me, but she wasn't confident it wuold work for me. We scheduled a c-section.

I was looking into that chiropratic method, and found a lady in the area who specialized in that. I was ready to make an appt., but tried about 3 nights of another trick I read about....(read on...)

I used a large wedge pillow to lay with my hips up (while watching TV) for about 10 - 15 min. The idea is supposed to be that the baby's head becomes DISengaged, giving him a chance to better flip around. It hurt a little and that worried me, so I stopped doing it.

That week I had an u/s appt. (I had them every week, so I knew at 37wks he was up - other high risk issues), and I thought for sure he was still head up, but there he was, tushy up, head down - I practically cried!! I never did officially "feel" him flip, unless that was the pain I was having when I raised my hips on the pillow.

Anyway, it's just anecdotal, but maybe it's something to think about and to give you hope. Hang in there! Congrats on baby - you are so very close! ;-)

- Stacey in MA

I'm 37 weeks and my baby is transverse. The dr. thinks I'm a good candidate for external version. The dr. also informed me that she has done this procedure just once before. I've heard more horror stories about it than successes- how much it hurts, caused need for emergency c-section etc.

I don't know what to think. I want to avoid the c-section if at all possible, but I'll end up that way if the baby doesn't turn anyways.

Any experience with this procedure? Any other tips on how to get this baby head down?

Thanks,

Marie

Do you have access to an indoor pool? Diving down head first into the medium-deep end for a few handstands encouraged my 34 week breech to turn the right way.

Barb

My doc did a version on my 3rd. She told me going in that it probably wouldn't work. So we were both extremely surprised when not only did it work, but it worked the first time in about 2 seconds.

Then I went into labor and had the baby right there without leaving the hospital. :D

Actually I started having contractions which is something I always did after getting an exam while pregnant. When they saw the contractions, they decided I was going into labor so they kept me on. I'm pretty sure that if left to my own devices, the contractions would've slowed and stopped on their own.

But, I also think it would've been very easily for the baby to slip into breech again just as easily as he slipped out of it. I think my doctor thought that as well because when my contractions did seem to be slowing ever so slightly she came in and broke my water.