Menu

personal question about my daughter

Normal. It is breast buds. They often develop on one side first, usually appear between ages 8 and 11 and can be as big as the size of a quarter.

As the Mom of a now 12yo, I say hang on tight it can be the beginning of an interesting ride :auto: as their hormones begin to kick in.

So, funnily enough, just last night my daughter (who just turned 10 on October 1st) came to me about a hard little lump under one nipple- on one side only- and I immediately thought first of this thread lol, and then of my experience with my oldest DD who I guess was probably about the same age, and then we had the "breastbud" talk!

I just thought it was funny that mere days after you asked this and I posted about my experience with my oldest, MY 10 y/o came to me with the same issue!

(Now she's kind of excited and wants to know if she'll get a bra soon).

ok..thanks for letting me know this is normal...althought I am not at all ready to deal with this...I am a small, petite woman and my daughter is small for her age, so I wasn't expecting to deal with this for quite a while yet...ugh...my baby is growing up already...

:iagree: My dd is not even 11 yet and she is developing quite a bit. I thought she would be on the slow side too, so I was pretty surprised when she starting showing signs several months ago.

An also note: they may start having a bit of discharge too. Totally normal. It can really freak a mom out.

And a dad, too...

Thank goodness my wife can have those conversations and hopefully, I'll remain blissfully unaware.

I guess dads get stuck with conversations about erections and nocturnal emissions. :P

Dd had nasty accident aged 8, which led a brief hospitalisation, then some follow up visits. Around the same time time she started to complain about a painful breast, so we asked at the Children's Hospital. They were very thorough, and she actually had an ultrasound. Overkill, of course, as it was indeed just normal breast development. It's now 20 months later, and she has definitely developed. I'm not ready for it either - I am sure this was more around aged 13yrs for me.

And a dad, too...

Thank goodness my wife can have those conversations and hopefully, I'll remain blissfully unaware.

I guess dads get stuck with conversations about erections and nocturnal emissions. :P

Ummm, a mom can only hope. Those seem to come to mom too.:glare:

Yes, you do. An important note for you: If you mention to your son's mother that you are discussing these topics with her son, then please use this terminology. It can reduce a woman to tears to hear the slang for these terms used in conjunction with her sweet, little boy. ;)

Yes, you do. An important note for you: If you mention to your son's mother that you are discussing these topics with her son, then please use this terminology. It can reduce a woman to tears to hear the slang for these terms used in conjunction with her sweet, little boy. ;)

As awkward as it is, I wish someone had discussed these things with me when I was a boy. I was horrified and baffled by both of those things, really having little idea of either the why or how. Mine was a religiously conservative family and I felt guilty, like I was doing something wrong, not knowing it was just part of the natural physical maturation.

As awkward as it is, I wish someone had discussed these things with me when I was a boy. I was horrified and baffled by both of those things, really having little idea of either the why or how. Mine was a religiously conservative family and I felt guilty, like I was doing something wrong, not knowing it was just part of the natural physical maturation.

I grew up in the same kind of family. Bud did not. He has no trouble talking about these things with Luke. And then telling me about it. Which is when I put my fingers in my ears and yell, "Quit using those words! It's a nocturnal emission when you are talking about my little boy!" :D

Seriously, I think many of us grew up with a lot of weirdness, and as you say guilt, about how our bodies operate. It's too bad. I hope my kids grow up to realize how lovely their bodies and their sexuality are.

well thank you for this thread! dd has one breastbud and I was wondering when the second was going to develop, as is she! She can't wait for her first bra. It's been about a month now and she's getting impatient.:lol:

For those who had daughters who developed on one side first, how long for the bud to show up on the other?

well thank you for this thread! dd has one breastbud and I was wondering when the second was going to develop, as is she! She can't wait for her first bra. It's been about a month now and she's getting impatient.:lol:

For those who had daughters who developed on one side first, how long for the bud to show up on the other?

That is a question I had too....plus, how you "hide" this fact when she wants to wear tighter fitting t-shirts and such...or just simply some of her clothes are just a little bit snug (not from being too small, it's just the style)...do I now have to tell her she can't wear these things??

I just can't remember with my oldest daughter, and with my youngest we're not there yet. So you'll have to let ME know lol.