Menu

Weight Watchers Online or Face to Face Meetings?

cin

Which one do/would you prefer? Which one do you think you'd be more successful with?

My friend/mentor has offered to go with me to the first few meetings, but I'm really leaning towards the online thing. Maybe go to the meetings for the first month and then switch to online? Such MAJOR decisions!!!

I'm using the online version.

I just don't have it in me to fit a meeting in every week.

I like being able to sign on some time every day, but at no particular time.

I would rather read about fitness and a good diet than talk about it.

And I don't feel the need for a support group IRL for this. I'm in other groups for things that are more fun, like church, Bible study, chorus, book group, parents' group...and I have friends I like to hang out with from time to time. So I'm not lonely or unsupported. Accountability makes me cranky.

That's why online is best for me.

there is no preview for the online service, but it SOUNDS like they have a TON of resources. Do they? I really hate it when they don't let you look around, like a 24 hour temporary thing or something. Or even a few screens to look at. It's like buying curriculum without a preview! :D

I need the accountability of face-to-face meetings. I need to be accountable to someone else.

I also like the rewards you get for success - 10% keyring, charms for 25, 50 lb loss, charms for achieving goal wt and lifetime status, etc. Also, a bookmark for your 2nd week attendance - you get stickers for each 5 lb loss and bravo stickers for NSV (non-scale victories - self-reported).

Once you reach lifetime status you no longer pay for meeting attendance, as long as you weigh in once a month no more than 2 lbs above your goal weight. There is no lifetime status onlne.

I also like the written materials - I do better with paper reading than computer reading.

Be aware, Weight Watchers is updating their program (both meetings and online); it is being introduced the week after Thanksgiving. They tweak the plan about every 2 years, but this year sounds like a big change. I've done WW (off and on) since the mid 1980s and the changes have all been for the better - more flexible in food choices easier to follow.

If you decide to join and are ready to join before Thanksgiving - Go For It!! I just wanted you to be aware of the change - don't spend too much time learning the details of the current plan.

Best wishes

there is no preview for the online service, but it SOUNDS like they have a TON of resources. Do they? I really hate it when they don't let you look around, like a 24 hour temporary thing or something. Or even a few screens to look at. It's like buying curriculum without a preview! :D

They are constantly sending me offers for free 7 day trials of their online service.

Become a member at weight watchers online (its free) and sign up for free emails. Within days you will start getting offers.

Maybe go to the meetings for the first month and then switch to online?

This in not a bad idea - try both to see which you like.

If you do this (for the meetings), I would suggest you wait until after Thanksgiving to not waste your money on the old plan.

Also, when the new plan comes out, find out how long it takes to get the full set of written materials. It takes 10 weeks of attendance to get the booklets with the current plan.

If you are able to get the monthly pass (the cheapest way to go to attend meetings), it includes some of the online features - that way you can check out both. For myself, I'm not interested in the online stuff, so I don't pay for it.

Here's the link for the WW message boards - free to anyone - just sign up - http://www.weightwatchers.com/community/mbd/index.aspx

BTW - I lost 50 lbs with WW in the 80s, stalled, then gained most of it back. Last Thanksgiving week, I achieved my goal weight (total 87 lbs lost) with WW.

Best Wishes

I think it depends on your personality and also the size of your weight loss goals. I went to a couple of WW meetings after my oldest was born. I had been a couple pounds over the recommended weight for my height even before I had gotten pregnant, plus I had some of the pregnancy weight left to lose. But I got the distinct feeling that many of the other attendees resented that I had a relatively modest weight loss goal.

I ended up switching to eDiets (I don't think they had WW Online at that time) and felt like that was a much more supportive environment.

I went to the meetings because I need accountability. It was really hard to fit the meetings into our schedule, but sometimes you need to make the important things a priority.

The meetings were helpful because you have a weekly weigh-in, they have lots of great tips and attendees share their food ideas.

I always liked going to meetings. It was nice to hear the tips and the lectures, to be around other people doing the same thing I was doing and to hear their ideas.

I felt more accountable when I knew someone was going to weigh me in every week.

AND it was something to do without the kids for an hour a week lol.

But, really, it's up to you. You could always try the meetings out and see if you like them. If you do, stick with them. If you don't, switch to online.

It depends on what motivates you. Are you disciplined enough to just enter your points online regularly and weigh yourself weekly? Are you able to pick yourself up after disappointment and start anew? How do you deal with discouragement? Do you have convenient meetings near you? Do you fully understand why you overeat and how to get back on track? If you are the type of person who needs a pat on the back or encouragement in person, then the meetings are invaluable. I could not have lost these 22 lbs without meetings. I had tried sparkpeople, I worked with a personal trainer, but none of those matched the positive environment of a WW meeting.

BTW, there are meeting packages where you get e-tools included.