Menu

Just out of curiosity, how many times/wk do you do the following:

Sue G in PA

As I'm planning out my schedule for next year and trying to "tweak" the rest of this year, I wanted to know how many x per wk you did the following programs or subjects(not just subjects, but programs, kwim?). Oh, I'm not using all these with each student (this is the list for ALL of my dc)!:

Saxon math

R&S grammar

GWG

FLL3

WT1

WT2

Jump In!

AAS

Simply Spelling

SWO

MUS

LC1

Apol. Zoo 1 (or any elem. series)

Vocab. from Class. Roots A

Handwriting (any program...we use ARFH)

Okay, that's a long list. If you could just pick and choose the ones you've used and give me a gen. idea of what your schedule looks like, I'd appreciate it. I figure btwn all of us here on the board, I could get a good idea of each program! TIA...like you have nothing better to do! :D

We do math (MUS), handwriting (HWOT), grammar (just started FLL, been using R&S), vocabulary (EFTRU) and writing (copywork, dictation or a narration) everyday. We sometimes do a four day a week schedule, sometimes five. We spend two days a week on science (Sonlight). I started Prima Latina this year, but dropped it. I plan to pick it back up in the next few months or possibly try Lively Latin instead. Either way, we'll probably do that everyday also. I prefer to teach every thing everyday. I keep our lessons very short and we just pick up where we left off on the next day.

We recently started FLL 3 and I had planned to just do it a few days a week, but it's going to be very easy for my third grader and I think he can work through it quickly and be able to start FLL 4 sometime in the fall.

Saxon math - I don't use it right now, but when I did use it, we did it four days per week, about 30 minutes per day.

R&S grammar - I don't use it now, but when I did use it, we did it four days per week, about 20 minutes per day.

GWG - I don't know what this is.....

FLL3 - I haven't used it, but used FLL about 20 minutes, or less per day.

WT1 - don't use it.

WT2 - don't use it.

Jump In! - don't use it.

AAS - don't know what this is.....

Simply Spelling - don't use it.

SWO - use it about 20 minutes or less per day, four days, with the test on Fridays. In a year when I'm covering more than one book, I generally do a lesson in 3 days, instead. It still only takes about 20 minutes, max.

MUS - I am using Gamma this year and it takes less than 20 minutes per day, 5 days per week.

LC1 - I don't know what this is.....

Apol. Zoo 1 (or any elem. series) - I do not use Apologia for science.

Vocab. from Class. Roots A - We used this about 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week and covered both level A and B in the same year.

Handwriting (any program...we use ARFH) - handwriting takes only about 10-15 minutes per day. We use Getty Dubay Italics. I've also used Draw Write Now for copywork, and it's taken about the same amount of time.

I'm teaching a second grader and a PreKer (doing K stuff). I schedule everything 4 days awake except math is 5 days a week and art is 1 day a week. There is enough flexibility to sometimes skip one day of a subject (i.e. FLL is sometimes 3 days a week). The subjects we do 4 days a week are handwriting, spelling, grammar, Bible, history, science, and Latin.

Well,

My boys do the following daily (5 days a week):

math (oldest used Saxon, youngest are with other math)

grammar (3rd and up = Easy Grammar/Daily Grams, 2nd grade = R&S)

spelling (3rd and up only)

writing (3rd and up only)

handwriting (italic)

they read aloud

I read aloud

poetry (just a handful of poems or a longer one) -- we skip days sometimes

science

history (SOTW with maps and coloring one day, read alouds the other day -- sometimes more days)

** Honestly, there have been days we didn't get to it all. Math, their reading, and my reading get done every day we school, regardless.

Science and history, though I love them, have more flexibility in them, so they are the first to go. If I have to choose between science and history for the day, I choose history.

They also read independently from 9 PM to 10 PM in their beds.

music (I'm horrible about incorporating this into our world)

art (starting next year with formal art -- don't know how often yet), for now, they are very creative with lots of mediums.)

I hope that helps. I know I don't use a lot of the programs you do, but I hope this is beneficial.

I guess I'll break tradition here and say that for next year we're going for the 4 day school week. Day 5 is for field trips and BEING together, and yes, I think we'll be learning on that day. Floridalisa's post:"a gentle proposal to moms of youngers" is something we all should consider......

I guess I'll break tradition here and say that for next year we're going for the 4 day school week. Day 5 is for field trips and BEING together, and yes, I think we'll be learning on that day. Floridalisa's post:"a gentle proposal to moms of youngers" is something we all should consider......

I am considering the very same schedule, which is why I asked the question! Funny. And yes, we should ALL remember Lisa's post and really think on that. I've been very guilty of "pushing" my dc and they really are young. Thanks to everybody who's posted schedules...it helps me immensely! :)

R&S grammar 4x week

Apologia Zoo 1 2x week

SWO -- dd hasn't used this for a few years; I think she did it 3 or 4x week

Handwriting daily -- if the child is learning to write or to improve handwriting. I don't do a program with my 4th grader anymore.

I haven't used any of the other programs you listed.

I dont use all the curriculum that you do, but this is pretty much how I have it scheduled no matter what curriculum we are doing in the past years. (which will probably change next year because MFW & HOD have it scheduled for me)

Math is done 4X (M-Thur)

Grammar 2X (M & W)

Spelling 2X (Tu & Th)

Latin 2X (Tu & Th for lesson, but we do spend 2 more days reviewing the vocabulary)

Art 1X (fri)

Science 2X (Tu & Thurs, but will sometimes do a project or experiment on friday)

Writing ... I am not using a particular curriculum yet (will start WS next year) but it is included with the grammar program I am using.

Music 1X (fri)

History 3X (M, W, F)

Handwriting 2-3X a week

For ds9:

R&S grammar -- 3 days per week, as an advanced child

MUS - 5 days per week, but we're running behind. If we were on target, I'd be comfortable with 3 or 4 days per week.

(Science) - We're using our elementary curriculum twice weekly, in addition to a once weekly co-op.

(Vocab.) - We're using a different program than you are, but are using it twice weekly in alternation with the R&S.

Handwriting - He thinks we do this twice weekly, but he's writing in his journal daily. ;) 2-4 sentences in his journal daily, plus 3-4 lines of dictation (memory verse to be learned) twice weekly.

Try pacing your day by major "subject" category and work for a half-hour or hour for that subject.

For example, group all "English" workbooks and activities, and plan on spending an hour on all those things together. Rather than try to schedule 10 minutes for each, just work on those things for the appointed hour. As the school year shakes together, you'll decide how much needs to be done each day on each item.

I like to group math, math games and logic items together for younger kids, for example.

Pat