Menu

Family and Stamina - ie. What to do about Thanksgiving?

I am slowly recovering from an adult form of croup. I'm on antibiotics and breathing stuff etc. I still can only sleep sitting up in an armchair but I am starting to be able to take care of the daily chores of laundry etc.

My brother and his family live 6 hours away by car. I see them about once a year - usually when they pass by this way. My niece and her family are here from Peru. We only see them every few years when they are back in the U.S. We've been invited to have Thanksgiving with them. I would love to see my brother, SIL, their adult kids and my nieces' kids. My kids love their cousins too.

Trouble: It is 6 hours away. Dh has to work on Friday. I don't see how he could go so far and then turn right around again. I don't necessarily mind driving that far alone (with the kids) but I'm still at a place where going to the grocery store is a really big deal for me healthwise. I'm exhausted afterward and worried about a relapse.

I'm thinking that I just can't go. :crying: But I want the warm fuzzy family thing. . .

P.S. - My brother and his family do not celebrate Christmas. My niece and her family will be visiting her ILs who do celebrate, so we can't just put it off until then.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

dear jean,

:grouphug:

its hard to have that warm fuzzy feeling when you're coughing and not breathing, kwim?

listening to you, it sounds as if you know the answer, but don't like it...

i wouldn't like it either, but there it is. it sounds as if you should be staying home.

skype is great. your visiting family can make the trip to you if they want to see you badly enough.

fwiw,

ann

Even traveling by train or some other form of public transportation is exhausting.

I don't think you want to undo the hard-fought progress you have made in the past week.

Skype, webcam, plan some nice stuff at home for just your family, look into having WF or whatever good quality food markets you have who can prepare a perfectly sized meal for your family (can you tell I have done this in the past?) and take it easy and use the time to continue to recover. Taking it easy for Thanksgiving perhaps will mean you are in much better health for Christmas.:grouphug:

I'm sorry you'll have to miss out on Thanksgiving with your brother, but it's not worth risking a relapse. Is there any way you could arrange for them to come and visit you on a different day so you could all go out to lunch or dinner together? I know it's a long trip, but if they thought it was ok for you to drive 6 hours each way, I don't think it's insulting to ask them to do the same, given your current health problems.

Normally, I'd suggest that you meet at a halfway point, but you'd still end up doing a lot of driving -- and in that situation, it would still be 6 hours in one day.

I hope you can find a way to get together with them.

:grouphug:

Cat