Menu

I have a kidney stone, just got back from er

I had been having a constant dull ache for a couple of days and then early this am, it turned into sharp pains and a constant pressure. Dh took me to er, they took blood test and urine test, showed no infection so they did a CAT scan. Showed a kidney stone in my bladder. They gave me a script for oxycodone (Percocet). I know nothing about kidney stones. Anyone have any advice for me.

I had been having a constant dull ache for a couple of days and then early this am, it turned into sharp pains and a constant pressure. Dh took me to er, they took blood test and urine test, showed no infection so they did a CAT scan. Showed a kidney stone in my bladder. They gave me a script for oxycodone (Percocet). I know nothing about kidney stones. Anyone have any advice for me.

Oh, Ouch!!! BTDT many times. Best thing for me was to drink lots and lots of water, a heating pad over the area is soothing, and I tend to have better pain relief from ibuprofen than from narcotics. Narcotics just make me feel sick and put me to sleep. But that's probably just me :D - take whatever drugs will get you through this!;) I'm having sympathy pains already :tongue_smilie: Hang in there....

Oh, Ouch!!! BTDT many times. Best thing for me was to drink lots and lots of water, a heating pad over the area is soothing, and I tend to have better pain relief from ibuprofen than from narcotics. Narcotics just make me feel sick and put me to sleep. But that's probably just me :D - take whatever drugs will get you through this!;) I'm having sympathy pains already :tongue_smilie: Hang in there....

Once the stone is in the bladder, the worst is usually over. For me, the hardest part was when the stone was traveling down the ureter from the kidney into the bladder.

Since they sent you home with pain meds and no further treatment plan, I assume they are planning on you passing it on your own. It should pass when you empty your bladder. It can be painful, so use those meds. Some sources say you should try to catch it so it can be analyzed for content.

The worst part for me is when the stone breaks lose in the kidney. WHAM!! I feel like I got hit really hard in the kidney. (I had one last Monday and I was shaking so bad that my dh had to pick me up from work to take me home)

I drank beer and lemon juice/olive oil combo and then felt the stone trickle down the ureter for 1 week and then drop into the bladder (that was an oommph for me) then it was over. I passed it with no pain. Once it is in the bladder the pain is over for me.

Holly

You gals who have had this... Is the pain worse than delivering a baby? I've heard that many times.

Dh has had two episodes. The first time was very bad, but even yet, I don't think it was as long or strong a pain as having a baby (without an epidural). The second time we knew immediately what it was and got on some painkillers.

You gals who have had this... Is the pain worse than delivering a baby? I've heard that many times.

Dh has had two episodes. The first time was very bad, but even yet, I don't think it was as long or strong a pain as having a baby (without an epidural). The second time we knew immediately what it was and got on some painkillers.

my dd has passed 3 kidney stones and has had one baby (due with her second in 5 weeks). she said she would much rather go into labor than have kidney stones. My dh just went through a 6 week battle with kidney stones. He said that there was no way labor is worse than passing a kidney stone because if it was we would only have one child. (We have 10) LOL

Hi, I just went to the er for a kidney infection and a kidney stone a few weeks ago. Follow your doctor's instructions, but the one I went to told me to go to the emergency room if I started to feel that "excruciating pain" feeling :tongue_smilie: again. He said there are things they can do for it - sometimes they can break it up before it passes.

Yes! At least one of my episodes has been far worse than labor. It all depends on the size and shape of the stones as to how much trauma to the ureter occurs. My first episode, not knowing what it was, caused me to tell my husband, "it feels like back labor" - that episode wasn't as severe as some of the others.

Yes. I have have three babies. The first was deliveried in the ER examining area. I think I waited so long to go in part because the labor pain wasn't nearly as bad as the pain from kidney stones (and frankly my horrible menstral cramps). The only time labor is comparable is during transition. However, even during transition I could stand and squat through contractions. There was a point with kidney stones where I didn't feel like I could stand. Oh, and for me kidney stones went on much longer than any of my deliveries.

Also, it helps that with labor you know that the pain will only go on for so long and then you will have a baby. I mean not only do you know that x number of hours past your water breaking the hospital will likely do a c-section, but you also know that you will have a beautiful baby for your effort. With a kidney stone you don't know when it will end and the only thing you get is that the pain will end (I guess that is something pretty big, but not as special as a baby :tongue_smilie:).

Mandy

Yes. I have have three babies. The first was deliveried in the ER examining area. I think I waited so long to go in part because the labor pain wasn't nearly as bad as the pain from kidney stones (and frankly my horrible menstral cramps). The only time labor is comparable is during transition. However, even during transition I could stand and squat through contractions. There was a point with kidney stones where I didn't feel like I could stand. Oh, and for me kidney stones went on much longer than any of my deliveries.

Also, it helps that with labor you know that the pain will only go on for so long and then you will have a baby. I mean not only do you know that x number of hours past your water breaking the hospital will likely do a c-section, but you also know that you will have a beautiful baby for your effort. With a kidney stone you don't know when it will end and the only thing you get is that the pain will end (I guess that is something pretty big, but not as special as a baby :tongue_smilie:).

Mandy

Well, now that I'm hearing these reports from real moms, I believe it! LOL

The first one dh was throwing up out the window as I drove to the hospital. So I know it's bad.

The thing is I've had four babies without a lot of meds and all of them came with weeks of pre-term labor. I'm sure my experiences are not typical.