Menu

What about a great science (biology, chemistry, etc) for the not so science driven?

Is there a simple, straight forward science for high school out here for the not so science driven students? I like Apologia biology okay but we're only just now about to finish the first module that is free online and I keep hearing how it becomes quite a "butt kicker". The big guys are finally enjoying science so-so. I'm not enthusiastic about it becoming a college prep, butt-kicker. We are doing that in other areas.

Anyway, if I'm making any sense does anyone have any suggestions? Am I wrong about Apologia Biology? Can I keep it informative and good without getting TOO bogged down? This first module has been good and dealing with the occasional Christian references haven't been too bad so far. :) (Even as a nontraditional believer I like to keep my subject separated)

This won't help you now; but for chemistry, take a look at Living By Chemistry (at Key Curriculum Press). It's what we're using this year.

Dd loves science (except biology), but we're emphasizing labs this year because her father is a chemist, and keeping textbook reading relatively light to make room for outside science reading. The textbook is very, very readable -- not cluttered or fussy -- shorter than most; but it is really good (as evaluated by dh and myself). I, poster child for science ignorance up a few years ago when I started researching and learning along with my dd, have learned more than I did in a college chemistry class in terms of understanding the hows and whys, understanding the patterns behind naming compounds, etc. The questions after each chapter are not regurgitation or based on requiring memorization of itsy factoids, but have kids really think and apply what they've learned without it being enormously difficult or stressful. Dd is quick to turn off textbook-style learning but she actually thinks this book is fine, and she likes that she can understand it easily.

The book has very few labs, so you'd have to find either a kit or an experiment book (we have the Robert Bruce Thompson guide and the Thames Cosmos kit).

Are you looking for more of a just-the-facts, get-it-over-with-quickly type of curriculum, or something that will engage nonsciencey kids?

For a just-the-basics approach, I like the Oxford U. Press International Baccalaurate Course Companions: Physics, Biology, Chemistry. They make a good spine, which you could supplement with "living books" (see below).

In the slightly-out-of-the-box, more engaging vein, here are a few suggestions:

Biology

Exploring the Way Life Works (this is a CC-nonmajors text that was adapted from a trade book — very engaging and well-illustrated)

Manga Guide to Microbiology

Also search for the thread on living books for biology — lots of terrific suggestions there.

Chemistry

Caveman Chemistry (nonmajors college text with unusual labs — very funny and irreverent)

Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, Larry Gonick

The Elements, Theodore Gray

Uncle Tungsten (Oliver Sacks), The Disappearing Spoon, Napoleon's Buttons, etc.

Physics

How Things Work, Louis Bloomfield (nonmajors college text focusing on the physics of everyday life)

Physics in Your Life (excellent Teaching Company course)

Impossible: Physics Beyond the Edge (Teaching Co course)

Physics of the Impossible, Michio Kaku

Cartoon Guide to Physics, Larry Gonick

The Physics of Star Trek

Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

Don't forget about other science options like Geology, Astronomy, and Environmental Science. The Teaching Co has some great courses for those, and there are some good nonmajors texts as well.

Jackie

Thank you.

Has anyone done the Engineering the Future by the same folks? It looks like a physical science and physics combo. That might work for a conceptual physics and physical science class.

http://www.keypress.com/x19890.xml

Engineering the Future

I had my eye on that one too, but tried the chemistry first to see what I thought. So far we really like it.

Biology

Exploring the Way Life Works (this is a CC-nonmajors text that was adapted from a trade book — very engaging and well-illustrated)

Thanks very much for this, Jackie. I was dreading biology next year -- not dd's favorite -- and wishing for a way to leave room for outside reading of trade books and journal articles because there are so many, many good ones out there. I don't want to limit dd to a textbook at this point.

Thanks very much for this, Jackie. I was dreading biology next year -- not dd's favorite -- and wishing for a way to leave room for outside reading of trade books and journal articles because there are so many, many good ones out there. I don't want to limit dd to a textbook at this point.

Another way to look at Biology, instead of using a single spine, is to separate the four basic components (cellular, genetics, evo/eco, and organismal) and use different resources/approaches for each one, depending on interest. For example, you could use some combination of these resources, and even split it up over a couple of years:

Genetics Cartoon Guide to Genetics; DNA extraction lab + DNA model-building; fruit fly & pea genetics labs from Froguts; living books (e.g. on Watson/Crick/Franklin); TC course Understanding Genetics. I also got some free videos from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Evo/Eco TC courses Major Transitions in Evolution & Ecology of a Changing Planet, plus the PBS documentary, Evolution, plus there are tons of great living books for this. The evolution of horses is quite well documented and might be a fun topic for her.

Organismal Many HS texts focus on human A&P for this, and TC has lots of courses in this area, including neurology. I'm putting together an A&P course right now (including lots of labs and models) for DS and his best friend (who comes to our house for history & science); I'll post the resources when I've got it all together. We will also be doing a lot of zoology & comparative anatomy, but that will be spread over several years. Maybe your DD would like to do a unit on the anatomy & physiology of horses? (I can ask DH to recommend some resources.) For botany, this site has some fantastic models to build (scroll down — there are also some great models for evolution).

Cellular I don't have a lot of non-textbook resources for this yet, because we'll be doing this part last, but I have the Manga Guide to Microbiology and the Cell Matrix software from Digital Frog and I think this cell pillow is a super cool project.

GCSE books are also good intro-level science spines, and they're very well done, with lots of good illustrations and links to everyday life (but not in the way that US textbooks do it). I have this one; you can see samples here. I think Paula (elegantlion) has the Edexcel version.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Biology

KarenAnne,

Have you seen this plan High School Biology with Living Books? It uses The Way Life Works: The Science Lover's Illustrated Guide to How Life Grows, Develops, Reproduces, and Gets Along. This is a different title from the one that Jackie refers to above but is also by Hoagland.

Regards,

Kareni

KarenAnne,

Have you seen this plan High School Biology with Living Books? It uses The Way Life Works: The Science Lover's Illustrated Guide to How Life Grows, Develops, Reproduces, and Gets Along. This is a different title from the one that Jackie refers to above but is also by Hoagland.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

Thanks for these links. This biology course designed by this hs mom looks absolutely terrific.

Jennifer

Another way to look at Biology, instead of using a single spine, is to separate the four basic components (cellular, genetics, evo/eco, and organismal) and use different resources/approaches for each one, depending on interest. For example, you could use some combination of these resources, and even split it up over a couple of years:

Genetics Cartoon Guide to Genetics; DNA extraction lab + DNA model-building; fruit fly & pea genetics labs from Froguts; living books (e.g. on Watson/Crick/Franklin); TC course Understanding Genetics. I also got some free videos from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Evo/Eco TC courses Major Transitions in Evolution & Ecology of a Changing Planet, plus the PBS documentary, Evolution, plus there are tons of great living books for this. The evolution of horses is quite well documented and might be a fun topic for her.

Organismal Many HS texts focus on human A&P for this, and TC has lots of courses in this area, including neurology. I'm putting together an A&P course right now (including lots of labs and models) for DS and his best friend (who comes to our house for history & science); I'll post the resources when I've got it all together. We will also be doing a lot of zoology & comparative anatomy, but that will be spread over several years. Maybe your DD would like to do a unit on the anatomy & physiology of horses? (I can ask DH to recommend some resources.) For botany, this site has some fantastic models to build (scroll down — there are also some great models for evolution).

Cellular I don't have a lot of non-textbook resources for this yet, because we'll be doing this part last, but I have the Manga Guide to Microbiology and the Cell Matrix software from Digital Frog and I think this cell pillow is a super cool project.

GCSE books are also good intro-level science spines, and they're very well done, with lots of good illustrations and links to everyday life (but not in the way that US textbooks do it). I have this one; you can see samples here. I think Paula (elegantlion) has the Edexcel version.

Jackie

Thanks for posting this! Great ideas... and very helpful to me :001_smile:

Jackie

Yes, I have the one Jackie linked, the biology version. I haven't compared contents in depth yet. The TOC is comparable to an American text with the exception, I think, that the US text covers more on genetics. I have The Way Life Works to fill in that gap. I picked that particular Edexcel version as the answers to the text questions are available online as a pdf. Also it comes with a Cd that includes an e-book copy and additional information on the subject.

Currclick also offers My Name is Gene, which I found as a freebie a few years ago.

Edited by elegantlion

It uses The Way Life Works: The Science Lover's Illustrated Guide to How Life Grows, Develops, Reproduces, and Gets Along. This is a different title from the one that Jackie refers to above but is also by Hoagland.

Different title, but almost exactly the same book! I bought both books because someone on another list referred to Exploring the Way Life Works as the "sequel" to The Way Life Works, and I was surprised to find that it's just a slightly more academic repackaging job. Exploring the Way Life Works = The Way Life Works + some additional content to make it useable for nonmajors college courses. The two books are about 80% identical — same text and illustrations, etc.

Jackie

KarenAnne,

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks to you too! We just might manage to go fairly textbook free.

This won't help you now; but for chemistry, take a look at Living By Chemistry (at Key Curriculum Press). It's what we're using this year.

This looks good — similar to the GCSE books, but... cuter. Did you buy the text and solutions manual directly from Key Curriculum Press? (I guess it was just published this year; I don't see any cheap used copies anywhere.)

Jackie

This looks good — similar to the GCSE books, but... cuter. Did you buy the text and solutions manual directly from Key Curriculum Press? (I guess it was just published this year; I don't see any cheap used copies anywhere.)

Jackie

Yes, I had to call Key Press and talk to someone to get a single copy (bought Discovering Geometry, which we are using, at the same time; he gave me a copy of the older edition at a very nice discount). I did not buy the solutions manual, as dh is a chemist and is doing science this year.