Menu

Easy Grammar vs. Growing with Grammar

We haven't used Easy Grammar, so I can't compare, but both of my kids do very well with GWG. They do it on their own, yay, and only occasionally have questions or need clarification. I very much like that they have independent practice that I rarely need to be involved in, and I always have the option of adding in discussion and such when it works for me (and I do, we're language geeks around here!).

My oldest started with level 4 and is currently in level 7, so she's four years in.

As far as the actual books, they are printed on good quality paper and have a good look and feel. There is no visual clutter. It is set up with about seven to ten sections per chapter, and then a chapter review.

There's no such thing as "better." :D

*I* like the way EG works. The examples on GWG's site don't inspire me at all. Besides, doesn't GWG include writing? EG doesn't, so it really isn't a fair comparison, KWIM?

GWG has them writing the occasional paragraph, but I wouldn't say that it includes writing (it doesn't replace a writing program or other writing assignments by any means).

I wouldn't say that one program is better than the other. I chose Growing With Grammar, because my ds can do his work independently. Also, I like that the lessons are short and to the point. After reading the small textbook, my ds answers questions from his workbook. The front of the worksheet has questions on the chapter your child just read. The back has questions that covers previous chapters. After doing several sections, your child will have a chapter review.

I don't grade the sections. I make my son correct the wrong answers and review the sections he may have gotten wrong. I only grade the chapter reviews at the end of each chapter. Since Growing With Grammar doesn't provide an actual test for each chapter, I use the chapter reviews as the exams. I have my son use his previous work as his review.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two programs. I have used EG and I have not used GWG but I am intrigued by it. Is one program better than the other?

We haven't used EG but we are using GWG this year and liking it. It seems like they are learning and yet the lessons are short. A major plus for my ds. My dd is independent except for occasionally not understanding something.

We haven't used EG but we are using GWG this year and liking it. It seems like they are learning and yet the lessons are short. A major plus for my ds. My dd is independent except for occasionally not understanding something.

We are on book three, doing about one book every 6 months. It is rather painless, and I'm appreciating the gentle intro to diagramming. It is reinforcing our spelling (SWO C), bumps into things here and there from WWE. It is not the only thing we use (periodic reading through A Lime, A Mime, a Pool of Slime series and then some spur of the moment games--"what adjectives could you use to describe yourself" or "see the raccoon cross the street? What verbs can you use for his walk?"), but 95% of what we use, and I am happy with the result. Kiddo never complains about it.

I have used GWG 3. It was very easy to implement. The problem I had with it was that most of the time my son was able to figure out the pattern for the answers on the worksheets without understanding what he was doing, so his retention was terrible. We switched to MCT last year and have not had trouble with retention again.

We are on book three, doing about one book every 6 months. It is rather painless, and I'm appreciating the gentle intro to diagramming. It is reinforcing our spelling (SWO C), bumps into things here and there from WWE. It is not the only thing we use (periodic reading through A Lime, A Mime, a Pool of Slime series and then some spur of the moment games--"what adjectives could you use to describe yourself" or "see the raccoon cross the street? What verbs can you use for his walk?"), but 95% of what we use, and I am happy with the result. Kiddo never complains about it.

Oh so GWG has diagramming? That is one thing EG doesn't have (although it does parse out the sentences in another way). Interesting.....

Oh so GWG has diagramming? That is one thing EG doesn't have (although it does parse out the sentences in another way). Interesting.....

Yes, a third of the way into 3 and we are diagramming things like:

Sit!

Are you hungry?

These, while not having any of the hangy downy bits, do involve rearranging to a statement or putting the parenthetical "you" in. It has been painless.

Edited by kalanamak
GRAMMAR