Menu

Math - 1st grader in tears frequently. HELP!

the4Rs

We used Singapore in K last year and everything was fine. Now we are in 1st and have been using Singapore since August. We are learning how to add numbers that equal greater than 10.

She knows it. She really does. But she thinks she doesn't. She sits and hits herself in the head and starts crying. If not every day then every other day. It has been since we introduced number bonds for adding and subtracting.

Every time I introduce a new topic or expand on what she's learned she flips out. I sit and show her example after example. When she will finally calm down she gets them right all the time without getting any wrong. She just has a drastic fear of failing. Perhaps because she is incredibly smart in language arts she feels like she is a failure in math. I don't know.

How can I help her not to freak out. Am I doing something wrong? We use manipulatives, white board, so she is getting hands on stuff. I know this is tough on her because I also do day care and the prek kids are running around distracting her. I am quitting day care at the end of May but can't before that. This is what it is. I have stuff for the kids to play quietly but it is not easy to keep them quiet.

Please HELP.

In a military course we were taught to classify personnel issues as either "will" or "skill". You know her - is it because she doesn't want to do it (and then it's mainly an attitude issue) or because it's too hard (a skill issue). It makes it easier to see what you need to do - train attitude or slow down, look for math reinforcement games, take it from a different angle.

If the day care is distracting - looks like it may be time for evening school or after / before school. When the other kids are gone - you sit with her and work together on things that require concentration - mainly math and reading. For a new student - math can require concentration - and I think it's unfair to expect her to learn in a really challenging environment.

[ETA - For my kids, when they went through the "hitting themselves" phase - they got the same punishment they would have gotten for hitting anyone else. No sympathy. No sweet words of encouragement from me. Took once and they didn't do it again.]

I would put the books away for a while. We went through something similar last summer when ds "hated" math. We did Peggy Kaye's math games or Rainbow Rock during math time for about 3 weeks. We covered the same material, just in a different way. After 3 weeks, we got the books back out, and ds loved math so much. I ended up setting a limit on how much he could do in a day or he would have (literally) spent hours every day on it. A change can do wonders for a little person's outlook.

I would put the books away for a while. We went through something similar last summer when ds "hated" math. We did Peggy Kaye's math games or Rainbow Rock during math time for about 3 weeks. We covered the same material, just in a different way. After 3 weeks, we got the books back out, and ds loved math so much. I ended up setting a limit on how much he could do in a day or he would have (literally) spent hours every day on it. A change can do wonders for a little person's outlook.

This is what I'm experiencing right now. We were using Math Mammoth a few days per week with a couple of other programs the rest of the week. Nik would groan when I told him it was time for math, even though he was enjoying MM much more than he did MEP, which we tried out first. He often "couldn't do it", even though he really could. But on days when we used Noble Knights of Knowledge/Waldorf math he flew through the problems and had fun doing it. Starting yesterday we're using only the NKoK/Waldorf math. We spent well over twice as much time as usual on math because he was having so much FUN! And when we were all done, he asked to play Zeus on the Loose, a math game! I'm looking over MM before we start school, so I know what we would be covering, and I just apply those type of problems in a different manner. It's working like a charm!

I know that this won't be a popular opinion here, but we put away all math for over 6 months. My daughter found K math to be very easy, so we moved into 1st grade math quickly, and eventually during 1st grade at some point, she hit a wall. She COULD do the problems, but she was getting frustrated and decided that she hated math. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can do these kinds of things. We stopped doing any formal math at all to give her a chance to catch up developmentally. At the same time I searched for a new math curriculum. When we eventually returned to formally doing math, she was ready, and she no longer hates math. She's in 4th grade now and doing well. I think it was one of the best decisions I've made for her so far.

In a military course we were taught to classify personnel issues as either "will" or "skill". You know her - is it because she doesn't want to do it (and then it's mainly an attitude issue) or because it's too hard (a skill issue). It makes it easier to see what you need to do - train attitude or slow down, look for math reinforcement games, take it from a different angle.

If the day care is distracting - looks like it may be time for evening school or after / before school. When the other kids are gone - you sit with her and work together on things that require concentration - mainly math and reading. For a new student - math can require concentration - and I think it's unfair to expect her to learn in a really challenging environment.

[ETA - For my kids, when they went through the "hitting themselves" phase - they got the same punishment they would have gotten for hitting anyone else. No sympathy. No sweet words of encouragement from me. Took once and they didn't do it again.]

I agree with the above.

Take this with a grain of salt, but all my kids are dyslexic, and all have days like this. They all do horrible with being put on the spot and all really need me to come along side them and show or tell them the answer. Yes it is counter intuitive when you know they should know it, but when you are dealing with an LD they can have recall problems at anytime, so you just shrug your shoulders and move on. Thus I would personally just grab the manipulatives and show her how to do it. Walk her through the first three problems then ask her what the answer is on 4th. Once she is comfortable coming up with the answer, then go back another step and have her start telling what to do there. I honestly had to walk my oldest through every Singapore problem for up to a month (division) for her to get the process. It wasn't that she couldn't she would just forget, freeze and generally felt unable.

Despite walking my kids through things and that they are all behind grade level in math, they still test 75% and better NP scores on the CAT 5. That is the score where you line them up with all the rest of the test takers. 25% did better and 74% did worse. Those are good scores for non-mathy, LD and behind grade level students, IMO. What they have covered they have mastered.

Heather

I didn't read all of the replies, but we went through a similar situation. My son is actually very good in math, but he is sometimes resistant to "work". Meaning, when it got harder, he didn't want to push through it to learn something new.

We use Singapore as well and I agree with those who say that Singapore makes more leaps than other math curriculum. When he got stuck, I purchased Math Mammoth 1st grade and started working on that for a little bit to build up his confidence. I really like how Math Mammoth builds up slowly to very similar concepts. It really helped and he was then able to easily move on in Singapore.

I label our various learning activities as requiring high concentration or low concentration. Math is definitely high concentration. Trying to do it in a distracting environment could easily frustrate someone. I would definitely try to switch math to a time when there are no distractions, either early in the morning or after dinner.

I would do math when the other kids take a nap. Evening would be too late - my dd would be tired.

My dd did well last year with Singapore, we just finished 1B now in second grade, and is doing well. She is highly distractive, too. But she does not hit herself.

To me, that would be a worrysome thing. I would try to fix that before worrying about math or anything else. Does she hit herself only when it comes to math? She must be very frustrated or something, I really do not know how I would classify this attitude. But if you fix that I think you will help her a lot in dealing with things in general.

I think it may be time for a break, and learning those skills some other way. There are lots of games you can play with adding.

I realize I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I've really enjoyed the worksheets from Worksheet Works. There are a lot of fun math ones in the math (basic math) and puzzle sections. The secret maps are fun!

Thank you to all who have replied!

I guess I am just fearful of being behind. I have to get over this issue I have. That is afterall the beauty of homeschooling.

I might have to look into math mammoth or the worksheet website and see if those can supplement. Thanks for the ideas. I don't mind reinforcing what she has learned....I just don't want to stall out.

I can't school in the evenings as we have tumbling, small group, and other things that fill our nights. And only one of the kids naps anymore. Fridays are nice because my husband is home so I take her in the bedroom to teach the concept and let her work. *sigh* 2nd grade will be easier with regards to distractions.

Now for today I brought out Singapore's mental math sheet to have her do it as review. She can't do it mentally so I let her manually work out the problem on the paper. There were many and she got them all right! She started out hitting herself on the head when she saw the paper and almost crying. I told her she knows this stuff and I helped her with the first two...after that she sailed on through them.

I am off to research some alternatives for her to fill the gaps.

Edited to add: I just went to Worksheets Work....thanks Stripe!! I won't have to spend any money. It is perfect. Now do any of you know of good fun online addition and subtraction games?

Edited by the4Rs

I really don't think I would treat this as a behavioral issue. I would guess it has more to do with maturity/development.

My dd6 had a time like this at the end of K. She's pretty bright, reads at around 4th/5th gr level I think and I knew she could have done the math but she just would get frustrated. So I backed off and just did living math, games etc and left the books. This year we started SM 1A again and somehow she knew it without having to learn it ( it seemed) and has wizzed through and just finished 1A already. More importantly she has gone from telling me she hated math to asking that her math book be buried with her when she dies as she loves it so much (morbid I guess but she's kind of a crazy girl!) :)

I'm sure it will be fine and I think taking your time, when they are this young, pays dividends. HTH

Edited to add: I just went to Worksheets Work....thanks Stripe!! I won't have to spend any money. It is perfect. Now do any of you know of good fun online addition and subtraction games?

You're welcome! :)

Here are a few I have seen.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/online/integers.php

http://www.arithmeticvillage.com/

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/numberskills.html

http://www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/numeracy.htm

http://www.math4children.com/Topics/Addition/index.html

http://hoodamath.com/

http://www.senteacher.org/Print/Maths/

http://www.donnayoung.org/math/index.htm

and

http://letsplaymath.net/ <-- blog

http://letsplaymath.net/free-mostly-math-resources-on-the-internet/ <--list of resources

Edited by stripe