Menu

Breadman vs Zo bread machines---compare and contrast, please

OK...I am looking at both of these brands...and they both look really good. The zo machines have both good and bad reviews...the bad reviews say the loaves are lop sided and dark on the sides and white on top when baked. ANd many of the bad reviews for Breadman are mechanical...so I am not sure which way to go....can anyone who owns (or has expereince) with either one of these machines, please tell me your expereince. Also, exactly which machine?? thanks so much....this is to be my Christmas present and I want the best machine I can find for the money....thanks.

uneven loaves are probably more to do with the baker, and not the machine ;).

use vital wheat gluten to develop a gorgeous texture and evenness of crumb. Now that it's winter, I like to use mine for mixing and kneading only, and bake it in the oven. I let it rise once, thlop it into the breadpan and let it rest for a few more minutes in a warm oven, then I crank it up to 350 and I get a gorgeous, perfect loaf every time.

I've had both a Breadman, which I thought was a poorly made machine and didn't last long, and a Zo, which I've been using for 6 years about 3 times a week. I love it. I don't always bake my loaves in the machine, though, because I get much better results if I run the dough cycle and then shape the loaf myself and put it into a regular loaf pan. If I'm making my 100% whole wheat loaf, I use gluten so it rises nicely.

I haven't used either yet but have been reading about them also.

If you read through the comments (some of them at least) on the King Arthur Flour website, KAF responds to some of the problems people were having and how to fix them. It sounds like one of the reasons for uneven loaves is because they were not spooning the flour into the measuring cup, so the bread ended up with too much flour. There were a lot of other tips also...

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-bbcc-x20-home-bakery-supreme-bread-machine-white#reviews

My friend has a Zo and it is the only machine recommended by our local bread making supply store. They just last longer. I know she has had hers for 4 or 5 years, uses it at least twice a week and has never had a problem.

I have a Zo rice cooker (fuzzy logic). I have had it 3.5 years, use it twice a week and never a problem.

I have a Zo and I love it. I do not bake in the machine, but I let it do everything else. I've had it at least 7 years and never had a problem. I can't compare because this is all I've ever had.

One feature I love is that I can program it to let the bread rise longer, knead longer etc.

I don't know if I'll be much help, but here's my experience.

I've had 3 bread machines: a National/Panasonic, a Breadman, and a Zo. I tend to research like crazy before a big purchase, so none of them were bad machines. My Zo is the 1 pound mini, so I really couldn't speak about lopsided loaves.

My experience is that they all were about equal. They all seemed to produce good loaves most of the time and doorstops occasionally (most of the time these were a mystery to me! I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but darned if I can't tell what....). My favorite may have been my first machine, the National. It made a great french loaf, and I liked the separate yeast drop. But they are all good.

I know that doesn't clarify much! There are a lot of reviews out there, but sometimes they just confuse the issue (I'm going through it now with pressure cookers). I hope you end up with a machine you love.

Edited by Kebo

I have owned both.

I LOOOOOVE my Zo. Love it. LOVE IT!

My breadman died after 18 months. That really got my angry. I don't like tossing stuff into the landfill. I didn't get another machine for over a year because of that. The Zo is made so much better.

With the breadman I was always having to do stuff like push flour off the sides and make lots of adjustments. The Zo did have a learning curve..everything does. But, once I got the hang of it, it involved no thought. I just put the stuff in and I know I will have great bread for the kids in a few hours. It has never let me down and I use it 5 times a week.

Make sure to take a couple weeks to get to know it. I took notes of what recipe I used and how it came out and what changes I should make.

Did I mention I love my zo? :lol:

Read through the stuff at King Arthur. They know the Zo inside and out and have lots of helpful information. I have been to the King Arthur store and seen their row of Zojis working away.

thank you very much for your opinions and thoughts...nothing is perfect and I get that...Ijust want homemade bread, that looks like bread (not a mushroom) without having to do much other than load it and turn it on...if all I wanted was to make dough, my bread machine that I own now can do that...thanks again...and open to any more thoughts...

I have a 2 lb Betty Crocker one that I love. love. All I do is throw the ing in, not even in any particular order and presto! in a few hours I get a beautiful loaf. Every time! I never use it for anything else, because I have a mixer that I use for dough.

I got it used at a garage sale, so I don't know how old it is, but it's going strong and I use it a couple times a week

I posted my whole wheat recipe on the other breadmaker thread.

I have a 2 lb Betty Crocker one that I love. love. All I do is throw the ing in, not even in any particular order and presto! in a few hours I get a beautiful loaf. Every time! I never use it for anything else, because I have a mixer that I use for dough.

I got it used at a garage sale, so I don't know how old it is, but it's going strong and I use it a couple times a week

I posted my whole wheat recipe on the other breadmaker thread.

can you send me a link to the exact one you have??? thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150431466403&rvr_id=161026831235&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WVI8&GUID=afb9ac1f12b0a0a9f49653c6fff8ccf5&itemid=150431466403&ff4=263602_304642

Edited to add. This has a normal rectangular loaf. Combined with the wonderful whole wheat recipe shared in the other thread, I have a beautiful, soft laof every time! Good luck

Oh I use the rapid white cycle and the light crust option.

Edited by kamom
added details

I have a Breadman that I use to mix the dough and let it rise. I finish the bread in my oven. I've had the Breadman for 10 years and it's going strong. My mom and sister have the same machine and we all bought at the same time- theirs are still working fine.

I'd love a Zo but have trouble justifying the money when all I do is mix and go through the first rise on the machine.

I make and bake in my Zoji. I bake it in the machine if it's for us. With the Zoji it is shaped like a standard loaf but it does have two holes in the bottom from the blades. That is unavoidable with any machine.

If I am making bread for a potluck or somesuch then I bake it in the oven. I don't want the holes in the bottom for people I am actually trying to impress. My family, eh, they get the holes. It's good enough for the likes of them.

I use my machine for making pizza dough as well. I never order pizza. I just make a whole wheat crust in the zoji during the day and then make pizza for dinner. I even have a couple pizza doughs stashed in the freezer.

The reason for making the dough in the machine and baking in the oven is that the machine really does a better job of kneading etc than even a kitchen aid stand mixer. Then you bake it in the oven and it doesn't have holes from the blades.

For years I just made bread dough with the mixer. I said I didn't need a machine. Then I had the second baby and realized I didn't have time to stand at the mixer and deal with it. The bread machine keeps it at the optimal temperature and makes it so much nicer than a mixer. THe mixer is good and so is by hand. I have been making bread for over 20 years and most of that was by hand. But the machine just makes that dough so darn well. It is so smooth and strong and risen just the right amount.

If the Zo is a Zojirushi, I have one, love it! Customer Service is great, we had one for 3 years and it quit working, they were going to help us get it fixed, would have cost but not like a new one, my husband said to just get a new one. I use mine everyday, sometimes twice a day. Makes great chocolate bread and apple bread!

My next choice was going to be the panasonic.

Kim

My friend has a Zo and it is the only machine recommended by our local bread making supply store. They just last longer. I know she has had hers for 4 or 5 years, uses it at least twice a week and has never had a problem.

I have a Zo rice cooker (fuzzy logic). I have had it 3.5 years, use it twice a week and never a problem.

I have my mom's zo. She bought it in the early 90s. Some of the nonstick is rubbed off under the blade and unfortunately they don't sell pans for my model anymore. However it still makes perfect loaves. So +/-18 years? Pretty good investment!

so do you (red squirrel) have problems with lop sided loaves or loaves that are too done on the sides and not done enough on top? That seems to be the big complaint in the reviews I read....

once or twice I've had a lopsided loaf. I am pretty sure I figured I didn't add enough water. That is more of a person problem than a machine problem. The dough was too stiff and it didn't spread properly. I haven't had that happen in a long time. That was the sort of thing that happened in my learning curve.

As for unevenly baked I don't even know how that would happen. I always pick 'light' crust because my youngest has oral motor issues and won't eat bread that is too hard/crusty. Maybe if you picked 'dark' crust it would be really dark on the sides? There isn't a heating element on the top (of course) so a dark crust might be darker on the sides? Maybe? As for not done 'enough' on the top..never. The bread has always been just fine.

I wish I knew how to post pictures. I have a loaf sitting on my kitchen counter right now. Ok, I looked and it is slightly lighter on top than on the sides. We are talking half a shade lighter. I never noticed it until now. I bet that if I picked dark crust it would be more noticable. That would be due to the fact that a 2lb loaf crests slightly over the top of the pan..like a loaf, lol. The top isn't as hot as the sides because that is where the heating element is. Now, that said, I think it is the same for all bread machines.

I wanted to add that I am the sort of person who bakes the same sort of bread almost all the time. I like to dig in and really perfect the recipe until I have it on automatic. If I were the sort of baker who likes to experiement all the time with different types of bread, and there are a LOT, then I would have more lopsided loafs etc. I always try something out at least once before I make it for more than my kids.

also, I got mine from king arthur in the christmas 'rush' time. I got a great price and free shipping. If you know you are going to buy then you might want to wait to see if it goes on sale for the holidays or right after.

And GAH! I hope mine doesn't die at the 3 year mark. I will be so upset.

I looked at the price it is now (I got the white one) and I didn't pay much less than the current sale. But with free shipping. This was last christmas season. I think the basic price has gone up a teeny bit so that might be the difference.

So, maybe hang tough and see if after thanksgiving it goes for free shipping. I am on the KA email list and it was a one weekend offer.

I do understand your hesitation. It is a lot to spend on a 'toy'. I get that. My heart was pounding when I bought it. It was my dh saying 'just get the ^*(* thing. You have been wanting it for 10 years!"

If it dies in a year or two would I replace it? If I were to buy another machine I would get this brand. If it broke that soon I would rather not use a machine. (My husband is snorting at that last statement)

I looked at KA and I think the criticism of the bread being dark on the sides shows a lack of understanding of how a bread machine cooks. It is different from an oven. ANY machine will do that. Jeeze people.

Now I am thinking I should try quick bread in the machine.....:auto:

So, when I worked at a store here... Breadman were the worst. I now have one I purchased for $10 from the Goodwill. I'd rather purchase an inexpensive one at the GW and get a grainmill. Just something to think about... the freshness of the (whole?? :) wheat will be what determines the flavour of the bread. I suggest that you make it in the bread machine and then bake it in the oven :)

If the Zo is a Zojirushi, I have one, love it! Customer Service is great, we had one for 3 years and it quit working, they were going to help us get it fixed, would have cost but not like a new one, my husband said to just get a new one. I use mine everyday, sometimes twice a day. Makes great chocolate bread and apple bread!

My next choice was going to be the panasonic.

Kim

Any chance you'd be willing to share your chocolate bread and apple bread recipes?

I have my mom's zo. She bought it in the early 90s. Some of the nonstick is rubbed off under the blade and unfortunately they don't sell pans for my model anymore. However it still makes perfect loaves. So +/-18 years? Pretty good investment!

I've had my Breadman for probably 12+ years with no problems. Still makes a great loaf of bread several times a week. I did learn probably a decade or more ago about either weighing your flour or at least spooning instead of scooping and that definitely makes a difference in the quality of the loaf. But, it also makes a difference in ANY baking you do.

I don't know about the newer model Breadmans....I've seen discussions like this before where lots of people badmouth the Breadman and it befuddles me, since mine has been so wonderful. So maybe see if you can find an older model at a great price.

And keep in mind that places like Grain Mill and King Arthur SELL the Zo...so of course they are going to consider it the better brand....and it's forum is going to be full of their customers.

If possible, try to buy your bread machine locally....then you can at least take it back or get advice if it doesn't do everything you expect.

I wouldn't mind some of the new features (especially the one about an artisan loaf setting, lol), but the prices are outrageous now for either the Breadman or the Zo. I think I paid around $50 for mine all those years ago and thought I was breaking the budget, lol.

I bought my Breadman at Macy's about 4 years ago for around $60, on sale. The only complaint I have is that when it mixes the dough, the machine vibrates so hard that it has been known to literally shake itself right off of my kitchen counter! (twice) The first time it happened I thought one of our cats knocked it off. :D

So now when I bake bread, I plug the Breadman in to an outlet in my living room so it won't fall down.

all of these differing opinions are driving me nuts....HOWEVER, I do appreicate them. I am starting to come to the conclusion that whatever brand I buy (unless it is a really cheap machine), there will be things I will like and things I won't...so I just need to make a decision and go with it....

Did you see that King Arthur Flour is having a sale with free shipping on the steel model, until Nov 30, if you decide on the Zojirushi? Also they will change or give you store credit for a year if you buy from them.

OHHH...I didn't see that...that certainly makes thing enticing, doesn't it. Is the steel model a different number than the one i was considering???

Here they are:

This is the white one

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-bbcc-x20-home-bakery-supreme-bread-machine-white

This is the steel one, for which you get free shipping and a $20 gift card

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-bb-cec20-home-bakery-supreme-bread-machine-stainless-steel

This is the mini

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/zojirushi-bb-hac10-home-bakery-mini-breadmaker

I once waited around to make a big purchase from them as they send out a 20% off coupon about once a year.

Here's their guarantee. You will observe some people gave the machines a low rating and were offered a replacement/refund/credit.

I think almost anything from KAF makes my bread better but I'm the weirdo who sits there with a highlighter and my KAF catalog ( I admitted to drooling over a Zo in an earlier post).

If you read Tammy's Recipes, her dh did a great post on dough enhancers - great, great post. Very informative. They have a Zo.

Edited by cjbeach

their recipes and any tweeks they have made for their favorite breads?

I have a Zo and love it but would like to do more with it. I am especially ipaddles paddles?nterested in whole grains, ie grinding my own.

BTW, do any of you with the Zo have problems with the bread sticking to the paddles? Customer service said it was too much flour. Suggested spooning in the flour instead of scooping it.