Menu

Does anyone have experience with a retroverted incarcerated uterus?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if it affected fertility. My uterus was just tipped and righted itself on it's own during pregnancy.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I'm hoping that it stays righted until it's big enough to grow out of that area. I was in the ER twice because I couldn't urinate. The uterus was laying on my bladder and cutting off the urine flow (sorry tmi). Now, I have a catheter in with a bag attached to my leg. I guess I'm feeling sorry for myself :(.

You have every right to feel sorry for yourself! I hope your uterus stays where it belongs!!!

I have a tilted or tipped uterus. It is actually not uncommon at all and I have never heard of it causing a problem. It doesn't require an correction not does it interfer with conception, pregnancy or childbirth.

I have never heard of an incarcerated uterus, have no idea what it means of what implications it could have but I am off to wiki it. In any case, if it is causing your problems I hope that they are resolves quickly.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

What does "incarcerated" mean in this context? Usually someone is incarcerated for a crime. :001_huh:

My guess would be entrapped. From what I read it seems like it often (usually?) involves scar tissue (adhesions, endometriosis, etc).

What does "incarcerated" mean in this context? Usually someone is incarcerated for a crime. :001_huh:

My guess would be entrapped. From what I read it seems like it often (usually?) involves scar tissue (adhesions, endometriosis, etc).

I had an incarcerated hernia some time ago -- Cheryl is correct -- it had wrapped around one of my fallopian tubes......trapped, so to speak.

I had an incarcerated hernia some time ago -- Cheryl is correct -- it had wrapped around one of my fallopian tubes......trapped, so to speak.

Oy! Then I had this too but nobody worded it that way - extensive endo wrapped around everything near uterus.

Oy! Then I had this too but nobody worded it that way - extensive endo wrapped around everything near uterus.

YIKES!:w00t: I had to have emergency surgery -- it looked like there was a tennis ball under my skin on the lower right side of my abdomen. It went from the size of a cotton ball to a tennis ball in about two weeks. I showed it to my sister (who was a practicing MD at the time) she FREAKED, called the hospital, and drove me straight to the ER. Sheesh! It happened on her birthday and I didn't get a piece of cake!:glare:

That's what I was dx with this morning. The ob-gyn had to manually flip my uterus and it has a chance of flipping back the wrong way again. Has anyone had this? How did it turn out? I guess only 20% of pregnancies are like this.

My 24 year old daughter has 2 children. With both pregnancies her uterus was turned to the side. The condition was not detected by her first doctor and when she went into labor she never dilated so had a C-Section. The C-Section was risky due to the uterus being over stretched and thin.There was a risk of it tearing and hemorrhaging. She had a scheduled C-section for the next pregnancy because she had the same thing happen again.

Her uterus was stretched so thin that you could see a very detailed outline of the babies hand and foot before he was born. It scared her husband so bad he literally ran out of the room one day when the babies foot in great detail suddenly appeared on her abdomen. Both of the babies are healthy. One is 3 years old and the other 6 months now. She healed well after the surgeries but her abdomen was stretched much more than I've ever seen and has never gone completely back to not looking very loose and stretched. She only weighs about 110 lbs and her tummy is still very stretched.

edited to add: With the first C-Section the doctor said it would have been very easy to accidentally cut one of her ovaries or fallopian tubes because it was in front instead of on the side where it should have been. The uterus was turned to the side so much it put the ovary in front instead of on the side.

Edited by Miss Sherry

I have a retroverted uterus. It never flipped forward when I was pg with Indy, so he grew into my body cavity instead of my stomach growing out. It wasn't really painful, but it squished all my organs up and I could barely eat. On the up side, I didn't have to wear maternity clothes until I was 30w.

I'm 14w with this baby, and so far it hasn't flipped forward. We'll see what happens.

Sorry to hear about your problems. You deserve a pity party. Hope you're better soon.

In *my* case (OP here), it means my uterus was caught under my pelvic (or was is pubic, can't remember which lol) bone. That's why my bladder couldn't release itself. NOT a good sensation, let me tell you!

• 1 year later...
Guest mama of a red head

I was so happy to see someone else having this problem. I was just wondering how long you had to have the tube in you to keep you peeing? I'm so uncomfortable with it. grrrrr... My doctor said that he's only heard of this once in his 20 years of practice and is sending me in to an at risk doctor, however, he can't get me in until next Thursday. :P

My uterus is tilted and was incarcerated once during my last pregnancy. Thankfully it resolved itself. Not being able to pee and needing to was one of the most uncomfortable and freaky things I've experienced. My Dr. acted as if it was quite common. Hugs to you. I can't imagine having to be cathed, etc. :grouphug::grouphug:

I had no idea this happened to other people.:001_smile:

I always fixed it myself by getting on hands and knees and wriggling around. It does go away once the uterus gets bigger.

Of course, having a uterus tipped so far can be confusing to birth attendants. Up until the last five minutes, they can't imagine that I can deliver. My first 4 were caught bare-handed because the midwives were so surprised to see them. What did they THINK I was there for?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you, OP. I hope you pop over that bone soon.