Menu

Good literature...lots of questions.

lovinmomma

Alright, so I was not raised on what I think anyone here would consider "good literature". I don't know if I've ever read a Great Book. Do I even know what great books are? I didn't enjoy reading growing up, but I do enjoy reading now. Having said that, some of the older language is still hard for me to flow with and not get distracted by it.

I am determined that my children will love great literature. I have been reading to them book suggestions off of SCM, etc. My children are 5 and 4. So here are my questions:

1) The SCM (simply charlotte mason) site doesn't have nearly enough books for us. Where do I find more good literature suggestions? I know lists like SL, but I'm guessing some would argue whether or not they are good literature.

2) My 4yo (5 in Dec.) still really can't handle books that aren't picture books. How do I help him move on from this, or is it ok where he is for now?

3) Would a book like Honey for a Child's Heart be good?

4) Will my children every be truly facinated by the older books, or will they always be more bored by it? Is there any way to help them grow in this area? Just continue to only expose them to goo literature?

5) I don't want to read a book to my children just because it's old. I'm assuming the reason is the quality of the laguage and vocabulary?

THANK YOU!

Have you checked out the Ambleside Online book recommendations? I like their choices unless they contain objectionable elements for our family (I screen for fairies/magic etc. but that's a family by family thing.)

My 4-yr-old is really into picture books more than chapter books right now as well - my oldest daughter started getting read aloud chapter books around that age (we started with Little House on the Prairie.) However, they are many GOOD picture books with rich vocabulary and word choices, just try to avoid loading up on a bulk of rather senseless ones (though we do love Dr. Seuss at our house!!!)

Have you checked out the Ambleside Online book recommendations? I like their choices unless they contain objectionable elements for our family (I screen for fairies/magic etc. but that's a family by family thing.)

My 4-yr-old is really into picture books more than chapter books right now as well - my oldest daughter started getting read aloud chapter books around that age (we started with Little House on the Prairie.) However, they are many GOOD picture books with rich vocabulary and word choices, just try to avoid loading up on a bulk of rather senseless ones (though we do love Dr. Seuss at our house!!!)

I was just worried that my children would be bored by them. I could look at my library and see how well they go over with my children.

About the above bolded: How do I know if they are the good ones or the senseless ones? :confused: LOL I have a better idea than I used to, but I still get confused on finding good picture books with rich vocabulary.

I love my library, I order all my books online...I really go whole hog. I get every book on every list that I can find, LOL.

I hold about 20 books at a time, and I come home with 10 or 15 usually. I browse them at the checkout, and just leave the ones I don't think the kids will go for.

1) The SCM (simply charlotte mason) site doesn't have nearly enough books for us. Where do I find more good literature suggestions? Sonlight reading list or Veritas Press reading lists are good. I also like this link:http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000-primary.html

2) My 4yo (5 in Dec.) still really can't handle books that aren't picture books. How do I help him move on from this, or is it ok where he is for now?At this age/stage, there are some excellent picture books: Going on a Bear Hunt, Red Ripe Strawberry, etc.

4) Will my children every be truly facinated by the older books, or will they always be more bored by it? Depends on their personal preference and learning style. Is there any way to help them grow in this area? I think reading aloud and acting out or dramatizing the book helps.

Have you considered poetry? Many younger dc love poetry and that helps expose them to different styles of writing.

I think Honey for a Child's Heart is an excellent place to start. And so are audiobooks of the classics from the library. My kids love listening to books like Anne of Green Gables, Dr. Doolittle, Little House on the Prairie, Peter Pan, Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Heidi, Just So Stories, etc. We read classics aloud, but getting the audiobooks allows them to listen to the stories over and over (more times than I'd be willing to read them!) and get familiar with the language and the story. And the language doesn't really seem to trip them up at all.

I love my library, I order all my books online...I really go whole hog. I get every book on every list that I can find, LOL.

I hold about 20 books at a time, and I come home with 10 or 15 usually. I browse them at the checkout, and just leave the ones I don't think the kids will go for.

Thanks for the tips! The library is where I'm going to have to get them. This is what I was doing, but I ran out of books that had been suggested to me, so I'm trying to learn how to choose good literature on my own. I may need to just stick with other people's lists for now. Thank you for the help!

Have you considered poetry? Many younger dc love poetry and that helps expose them to different styles of writing.

Thank you! The link and suggestions were very helpful! I used to read poetry weekly, but had gotten out of the habit. Thanks for the reminder to pick that back up!

A terrific list of picture books can be found at the Five in a Row website. Look for the "Book List" tab.

Remember that many children, especially boys, may need something to do with their hands while they listen - legos, silly putty, etc.

Enjoy this adventure -

Anne :)

Five in a Row has great picture book recommendations, there are also some good picture book treasuries like...drat, I don't have my copy unpacked from our move yet!

Blueberries for Sal

Make Way for Ducklings

The Story About Ping

The Little Engine That Could

Anything by Virgina Lee Burton

Caps for Sale

The Story of Ferdinand

The Real Mother Goose

Any of the Frances books

Anything Beatrix Potter

These are on a LOT of reading lists I think...and my children love them all! Seriously, we can't read any of these too many times in my house without having a lapful of children up on my knee to listen to them. Basically, you are looking for picture books with staying power, not the new fluffy bookshelf fillers that come out every year (though some new titles are good too.)

Eventually, doing lots of reading with your children should give you a good feel for what is 'twaddle' and what isn't. I try to do picture books every day for my littles, and some chapter book every day for my older (my wee ones normally nap for this, they fall asleep while I'm reading.)

I was also going to suggest the FIAR books for the picture books of quality. I also think that Seuss is hardly senseless as someone alluded to earlier. Yes, he wrote Ten Apples Up on Top and Hop on Pop and things like that for early readers, but he also wrote things that let you approach moral issues like The Sneeches or historical ones like The Butter Battle Book or environmental issues like The Lorax.

There are so many picture books, that it's hard to give a simple rule of thumb. Many of the ones coming out today are shorter and geared toward younger kids. They're not "twaddle" (at least, not necessarily) but they're just meant for toddlers and pre-K kids, not for kids to grow into. Look for longer picture books, older picture books (though many new ones are also quite excellent), authors who get a long row of titles in the library (but not at the bookstore, as that's a very different set of authors in the picture book field). Also, many books of fairy tales, folk tales and so forth are very good. These can often be found in the non-fiction stacks (grouped together, so it's still easy to browse). Also, don't worry about the shorter ones or the ones that feel lesser quality to you. If you come home from the library with a nice stack every week, that'll do you.

Ugh, I'm so sorry ladies. I don't understand why this keeps happening!

Well, I do...it's my dial-up, I think it's timing out and refreshing, then I'm ending up with double-posts at times. Please excuse my bad connection.

Edited by Jennifer Bogart
Duplicate post

I have done Before Five in a Row, Five in a Row, then Ambleside Online.

I feel personally that these books are a great progression. I must tell you that I have painsakingly read the original form of the Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling to my sons when they were little. I read through all those "thees" and "thous." I read a lot of those books that Ambleside recommended to my boys. Many were classics in there original form. I must say, it was very tedious, but so worth it. My children have a rich vocabulary. They are readers. They love the King James Version of the Bible best.

So, I vote for Five in a Row and Ambleside Online for great literature choices.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I must tell you that I have painsakingly read the original form of the Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling to my sons when they were little.

Agreed! I read a lot of the 'lesser known' Jungle Book stories to my oldest when she was around 5, and she really enjoyed them! Rikki Tikki Tavi is a great one!

All I really do is go to the library and check out huge amounts of books. I will limit my girls, ages 6 and 4, to a couple of "twaddly" books like Dora, Little Bill, etc., each week. I am somewhat selective as far as everything else we check out goes, but I don't worry about a particular book being on someone's list (although the lists are GREAT--don't get me wrong!). I LOVE literature myself, and I think that love rubs off on my girls.

I host a blog meme each week called Read Aloud Thursday. I highlight our favorite read-alouds each week, and others are invited to join in and link up. You can find a wealth of good suggestions there, if you're so inclined. :D

Alright, so I was not raised on what I think anyone here would consider "good literature". I don't know if I've ever read a Great Book. Do I even know what great books are? I didn't enjoy reading growing up, but I do enjoy reading now. Having said that, some of the older language is still hard for me to flow with and not get distracted by it.

I am determined that my children will love great literature. I have been reading to them book suggestions off of SCM, etc. My children are 5 and 4. So here are my questions:

1) The SCM (simply charlotte mason) site doesn't have nearly enough books for us. Where do I find more good literature suggestions? I know lists like SL, but I'm guessing some would argue whether or not they are good literature.

I have a degree in English, and I have taught many a lit co-op class in my time. It's true that some of the SL books are not great literature, but on the whole I like their list. There are many good choices on the list, and I like their international and historical perspective. I also like the Bluedorns' list (Trivium)--I don't really agree with them philosophically, but I do like their lit lists a lot.

2) My 4yo (5 in Dec.) still really can't handle books that aren't picture books. How do I help him move on from this, or is it ok where he is for now? Read aloud lots and go with the flow. He'll grow into more text. Some kids take longer with that than others.

3) Would a book like Honey for a Child's Heart be good? Excellent book. Love it. Use it.

4) Will my children every be truly facinated by the older books, or will they always be more bored by it? Is there any way to help them grow in this area? Just continue to only expose them to goo literature? I firmly believe that great books are best appreciated at the right time. Yes, they will grow into it. This does require you to help stretch them sometimes--choose to read more challenging books aloud together, or assign more challenging books for independent reading. Reading aloud well, dramatically, can help a child slip into a more challenging book with enjoyment. Invest in really great read aloud skills. Watch for signs of real stress or boredom with the reading--that is an indication that your attempt at stretching is a little too much. Also great books on tape (LOVE Jim Weiss stuff) will help the stretching process.

5) I don't want to read a book to my children just because it's old. I'm assuming the reason is the quality of the laguage and vocabulary? Hear hear! I heartily agree. The lists suggested here will help you sort through that.

THANK YOU!

Some thoughts for you above.