Menu

Best brand of caramels? Candy corn?

Werther's makes the best carmel.

We were in Disney recently, and there is a whole Werther's store in the German pavilion at EPCOT. I didn't even know Werther's made anything other than the (admittedly delicious) hard candies, but noooooo, they make a full range of caramels, even dark chocolate-covered caramel.

Trader Joe's also makes a truly decadent dark chocolate covered caramel with sea salt. It may well be better than Werther's, but I haven't had it in a while and would need to try it again to compare.;)

In the interests of full disclosure, however, I have to admit that I even like bad caramels.

Terri

We were in Disney recently, and there is a whole Werther's store in the German pavilion at EPCOT. I didn't even know Werther's made anything other than the (admittedly delicious) hard candies, but noooooo, they make a full range of caramels, even dark chocolate-covered caramel.

Terri

We were also there recently and saw this too. Apparently it is the only Werther's store in the world.

Werther's is pretty good. But if you make it yourself, it's even better.

You can make it with cream or whole milk like the recipes say, or you can make it with skim milk and it still tastes fine. (My kids like it much better with skim milk.) And we've finally figured out how to melt sugar to make caramel. You get a much better flavor that way than using corn syrup like all the recipes use. Problem is, melting sugar can very, very quickly turn into burnt sugar which not only tastes bad but can burn down your house. So you have to watch it every single second. It will sit doing nothing for the longest time, then melt and burn within seconds.

So if you aren't willing to do that, then, sure Werther's isn't bad.

Yep, Brachs is the first thing that came to mind here too. Mmmmmm, candy corn... I think I'm going to have to make a store-run now. Seriously, I'm salivating.:drool5:

Forgot to mention that the best Brachs candy corn is their harvest edition - it has little pumpkins and bats(?) in it. Delicious.

Can you believe I kept waking up all night thinking about them, and how I had to let you know? I think this may constitute an addiction. I think I might be okay with that. :D

Werther's is pretty good. But if you make it yourself, it's even better.

You can make it with cream or whole milk like the recipes say, or you can make it with skim milk and it still tastes fine. (My kids like it much better with skim milk.) And we've finally figured out how to melt sugar to make caramel. You get a much better flavor that way than using corn syrup like all the recipes use. Problem is, melting sugar can very, very quickly turn into burnt sugar which not only tastes bad but can burn down your house. So you have to watch it every single second. It will sit doing nothing for the longest time, then melt and burn within seconds.

So if you aren't willing to do that, then, sure Werther's isn't bad.

I did this before. I am OCD and I have a stickyness issue. It was not pretty. Sure did taste good though.