Menu

Reading Outloud

kwg

I didn't want to take over the other post but I also have a question about reading out loud. My ds hates it and cries (really melts down) when I have pushed it. He is 8 and reads well. He has read the Narnia Chronicles, Inkheart trilogy, and many others. One book I looked up said it was an 8th grade reading level. He reads all.the.time. I am pretty certain he understands what he is reading- we talk about it, he makes connections, he asks what words mean sometimes. I do wonder if the harder books he is skipping words but he gets the story line. I only wonder since it is so far above his grade level.....I have no proof or anything :tongue_smilie:

I was all set to force it this year because I was thinking it would help with oratory skills and it is just weird. He will not even read to his little brother! I would love for him to do this while I am making lunch :). I even tried to pay him but it was a no go. I think too if it something that he is scared of for whatever reason it would be nice to help him over that.

So. I am wondering what people would do. Has anyone been in the situation? Do I let it go until he is older? Push it now? How would you get him to do it? I noticed today he was reading Calvin and Hobbes out loud to himself -stopped when Dad came in the room- and he will read game card type things out loud.

I have no idea if there is a "right" answer to this; but I can tell you my dd was exactly the same at that age. Reading aloud and reading silently are two very different skills and they can actually mature at different paces (at least this is what I have come to think after watching her and reading a bit about it). Dd did not like to have the flow of the storyline and her mental pictures interrupted by the slower pace of her own reading aloud.

We listen to a lot of audiobooks, and one thing I noticed is that as she grew older dd began discussing how different narrators read -- whether they "did voices," how they paced themselves, how they emphasized things (she was particularly interested in whether you could read aloud and make the listener envision that the words you were reading Were Important Capitalized Words).

At the point that her reading diverged substantially from reading together or both of us having read the same books, she started running to find me to read favorite paragraphs aloud or to recite a very lovely sentence. I did the same for her from books I read. This started to happen when she was around eleven or twelve, I think, and it's continued to the present (she's fourteen).

To me, the reading aloud lag seems to be a similar thing to the way that her physical writing skills lagged behind her ability to narrate a story or summary. At the time I fretted about it, but knowing what I do now, and knowing that as you say your son understands what he is reading, I would give it a few years and not force it.

Recently, I discovered that dd could not read aloud. Being in the 4th grade, she was ready for more challenging work/study. I pushed forward only to discover that dd may know what a word meant, but she could not say it. We lacked verbalization.

If you even speculate in the littlest amount about dc's ability to read orally, I would push it. Dd would not read aloud to anyone either. We assumed her terrible spelling was just that - terrible spelling. She was reading books that were above her grade level as well and retelling the story. The reason this problem presented itself was when comprehension became a problem, or so I thought, when dealing with history. It became known that dd may understand a word in context but did not have the oral vocabulary to indicate that what she read was understood. The public school did not bother with any phonics and maintained a whole word study.

I have learned that oral reading is a must. I would do this as early as possible and continue well into and more than likely through the sixth grade. I will continue with a formal reading class through the eighth in light of this discovery with oral reading.

I remember oral reading all throughout school. Often, in the classroom, we took turns reading from the book. In English, we would take turns reading the assigned literature selections too. I do not think this is something to avoid or overlook. Dd reads to me while I clean, cook, fold clothes, et cetera. I credit Megawords for the phonics enforcement and Elson for challenging short stories with difficult vocabulary. :D

If he hates it, I wouldn't push it too much. I know I hate it, and if my parents made me read aloud when I was a child, I would probably transferred that hatred on reading in general. It's just the way my brain works. Now, I can read, and I do read to my kids, but I only enjoy the cuddling part :) However, it is a necessary skill, and it needs to be done to some extent. If you are worried, you can ask him to read short pieces here and there, maybe for assignments on other subjects, but not the books he enjoys. My daughter is usually reading aloud her SOTW piece for the current lesson, and maybe a few paragraphs for other subjects. You can try something like that, but definitely not his books.

As a person who had a *very* hard time reading aloud for many years, I am of the opinion that being able to read aloud fluently and without embarrassment is an important skill to have. And it is a skill that in order to develop needs to be practiced.

But you also need to pick your battles and you may decide that this isn't a hill to die on. But I do think it is important to realize what may be lost if you choose not to pursue it.

If that makes any sense at all...

Recently, I discovered that dd could not read aloud. Being in the 4th grade, she was ready for more challenging work/study. I pushed forward only to discover that dd may know what a word meant, but she could not say it. We lacked verbalization.

If you even speculate in the littlest amount about dc's ability to read orally, I would push it. Dd would not read aloud to anyone either. We assumed her terrible spelling was just that - terrible spelling. She was reading books that were above her grade level as well and retelling the story. The reason this problem presented itself was when comprehension became a problem, or so I thought, when dealing with history. It became known that dd may understand a word in context but did not have the oral vocabulary to indicate that what she read was understood. The public school did not bother with any phonics and maintained a whole word study.

I have learned that oral reading is a must. I would do this as early as possible and continue well into and more than likely through the sixth grade. I will continue with a formal reading class through the eighth in light of this discovery with oral reading.

I remember oral reading all throughout school. Often, in the classroom, we took turns reading from the book. In English, we would take turns reading the assigned literature selections too. I do not think this is something to avoid or overlook. Dd reads to me while I clean, cook, fold clothes, et cetera. I credit Megawords for the phonics enforcement and Elson for challenging short stories with difficult vocabulary. :D

:iagree: I think it is critical to have children read aloud to ensure that they can read and pronounce. Plus oratory skills are important. I have heard many children and adults read poorly:(.

I would try to be creative. I would start with easy material and perhaps you could take turns reading out loud. Or you could practice oratory skills with poetry. DS's virtual school had him practice oratory skills by standing straight, making eye contact, speaking clearly and with emotion, etc. They had a checklist to use for oratory skills. Another idea would be to have him read new spelling words first to you and then sentences with spelling words. I would try to find a way to have him read out loud IMHO. Another thought would be to have him read aloud material that he finds enjoyable.

As an English teacher (in my former life!), I had middle school and high school students who were extremely hesitant to read aloud and the majority of them didn't like it because they had never been required to do it and/or had never been "trained" how to do it. It IS an important "life skill" that should not be painful, so I would gently push it. : ) My 7 y.o. son is NOT enthusiastic when it comes to reading out loud to ANYONE, so I have begun training him to read fluently by just picking a sentence or two to listen to and then repeat. He rolls his eyes, but then does it and improves by the second reading! Now I don't expect him to come running, asking to read aloud any time in the near future (!), but I am seeing his confidence going up: he volunteered to read a poem at our co-op's dessert theater! Small, but firm pushes is what I would advise.

:iagree: I think it is critical to have children read aloud to ensure that they can read and pronounce. Plus oratory skills are important. I have heard many children and adults read poorly:(.

I would try to be creative. I would start with easy material and perhaps you could take turns reading out loud. Or you could practice oratory skills with poetry. DS's virtual school had him practice oratory skills by standing straight, making eye contact, speaking clearly and with emotion, etc. They had a checklist to use for oratory skills. Another idea would be to have him read new spelling words first to you and then sentences with spelling words. I would try to find a way to have him read out loud IMHO. Another thought would be to have him read aloud material that he finds enjoyable.

Funny that you should mention expression as well. I am planning this direction now. We have struggled but came a long way from last Spring. Again, I must say that the phonogram work and Megawords' lessons have improved dd's abilities greatly.

Any suggestions on some child-like poetry? Something that is quirky and perhaps a tad Dr-Suessish-styled. (I am making up words :D) I will ask here because the original poster would probably appreciate a reference as well! We seem to have oral-resistant readers.

I did get her to read .... Landmark's Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes aloud. I was shocked at the progress she had made. I would not let her read it silently. If she stopped, she did not know the who-done-it. LOL

I had the original post about reading aloud, and i'm pondering your question now...my son doesn't mind reading to me out loud if it's something he's interested in, but if it's a book he's reading for his own personal reading time he does NOT want to be bothered.

we have really enjoyed "Poems for Two Voices" which are choral readings that only work with two people reading. What fun! This has forced him to pay attention and do it right, or the poem doesn't work.

Also, we do a lot of recitation. He memorizes poems, scripture, memory work for his lessons, and i think this helps in the process of developing oratory skills.

Now that i think about this more, I'm not so worried... :-)

we have really enjoyed "Poems for Two Voices" which are choral readings that only work with two people reading. What fun! This has forced him to pay attention and do it right, or the poem doesn't work.

Also, we do a lot of recitation. He memorizes poems, scripture, memory work for his lessons, and i think this helps in the process of developing oratory skills.

Now that i think about this more, I'm not so worried... :-)

Awesome:D ... thank you very much for the suggestion. I am going to get this now. It sounds like a wonderful way to encourage attention and work on oral skills.

I would try to get clear about how much of it is shyness/lack of self-confidence in his reading aloud and how much of it is actually struggling to read aloud. I think there would be very different approaches for those issues.

:iagree:

You could try reading a play with him. I have seen great books at the library that rewrite stories in play form. He can pick a character or two (adding different voices could be fun) and you could be the other characters. Make is a fun, silly time and it could ease any nerves or fear he has about reading performance. Short sentences and a solid storyline would also lend themsleves to great comprehension questions and/or copywork/memorization. Just an idea!