Menu

Need a tried and true recipe for roasted potatoes..

we are having company tomorrow night and I wanted to make some kind of roasted potatoes to go with my chicken cordon blue casserole. Need an easy, tried and true recipe.

I'd go simple. If you have Yukon Golds or fingerlings, just halve the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper (and some rosemary or other herb, if you're feeling frisky), and roast for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how big they are.

If you have a little more time to fuss, you can roast the potatoes whole for about an hour at 375F. Then halve them, smash them flattish (use a meat pounder or a sturdy drinking glass; they will be flattened and squished, but still separate), add your oil and seasonings, and roast another half hour or so until they're browned and crunchy.

I used a combo of small red potatoes and white fingerling potatoes, enough to fill a 2 quart casserole. I washed them thoroughly, scrubbing in all the little cracks and crevices.

Then I cut them in halves the long way. There were a few that were bigger than the rest that I cut in quarters.

I tossed them in a big bowl with plenty of olive oil. You have to do this pretty quickly so that the cut sides do not start turning brown. I sprinkled them liberally with garlic powder--lots of it. Then I ground up dried herbs: 1 tablespoon oregano, 2 tsp marjoram, 1 tablespoon of herbes de Provence, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tablespoon of basil. I sprinkled those into the bowl and tossed again, thoroughly.

Then I used two big jelly roll pans to bake the potatoes in. I preheated the oven to 400. I poured the potatoes into the pans, distributing them so that there were none on top of each other. There was extra oil at the bottom of the bowl, and I poured it into the pans as well. Then I salted all of the potatoes liberally with kosher salt flakes. I baked them for 25 minutes, and then took them out and turned them over so they would not stick to the pan. Then I baked them for another 30 minutes, and they were done.

Oh my goodness, these were so good. And the two colors of potato skins made them look all gourmet--festive. If I do this again when those blue/purple potatoes are reasonably priced in the stores, I think I will mix in some of those as well.

I'd go simple. If you have Yukon Golds or fingerlings, just halve the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper (and some rosemary or other herb, if you're feeling frisky), and roast for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how big they are.

This is how my family likes their potatoes... but I also stick some onion in there. If the potatoes need to cook for a long time, I sometimes put the oiled/salted slices of onion onto the pan (cookie sheet... whatever) about half-way through so they don't get too burnt. Also, if you're roasting chicken or beef, I like to put some of the potatoes in with the meat to soak up the yummy flavors. When I'm bored, I add carrot or parsnip or yam or some other root veggie into my roast potatoes.

these are soooo good!!

A friend came for visit and made these and even my pickiest of eaters loved them!!

1 lb. new potatoes

2 Tbsp butter-melted with and mixed with honey

1 Tbsp honey

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

Put spices in melted butter and stir. Put new potatoes in bowl with mixture and stir(or in bag with mixture and shake!).

Pour in 13x9 dish and bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I cube some Yukon Gold potatoes and place them in the baking pan (or sheet, large enough for a single layer).

Drizzle with oil.

Sprinkle with:

salt

pepper

garlic

crushed dried rosemary

parmesan cheese. Whatever quantities look good to you. LOL

Stir to coat right in the pan.

Bake at 450 until done, about 20-30 min or so depending on the size of your potatoes.