Menu

Inexpensive Stay for family of 6 in London???

We are thinking of a few days in London within the next few weeks. We have 4 children under 10 and it seems almost impossible to find anything reasonable. Here in the states we can usually get a double room with 2 queen beds for $50. I know that there is no way we can go that cheap, but I need ideas from some of you who have traveled or lived in the London area. We would be willing to stay outside the city :) A family hostel would work GREAT for us so that we could cook our own meals. Thanks!

Along the street in the University of London area, up from the British Museum, there are pretty cheap rooms. They are in row homes. Just the bed, a dresser, a bathroom, and a TV--the beds fill the rooms pretty much! We stayed there a long time ago, and got away cheap.

There are places in Hayes that are pretty nice and fairly inexpensive, too.

Your best bet is the Pimlico area--it's quite reasonably priced, and near to all kinds of nifty stuff.

We had a fabulous experience with The Blades. They have at least one "family" room, possibly more. Breakfast is included.

We had a less than fabulous, but cheap, experience across the street from The Blades at Corbigoe. It was a cheap place with beat-up furniture, but it served its purpose.

Also try checking Rick Steves' site--we got many wonderful tips there.

Finally, while in London you MUST do the Tower of London. It's my favorite historical tour, ever. The Beefeaters who staff the compound are funny and really cool.

We rented a flat through Homeaway.com last fall when we went. It's not super cheap, but we got a lot more space than a hotel and a full kitchen and washer dryer. We cooked most of our own meals and saved a ton. We stayed near the British Museum and were in a great spot for getting around easily. You don't want to stay too far out or it will be too hard to get to sites before the kids get tired.

Along the street in the University of London area, up from the British Museum, there are pretty cheap rooms. They are in row homes. Just the bed, a dresser, a bathroom, and a TV--the beds fill the rooms pretty much! We stayed there a long time ago, and got away cheap.

There are places in Hayes that are pretty nice and fairly inexpensive, too.

Do you have a website or phone #?

I'm the cheapo traveler, hit all free museums while in London...only paid for Tower of London....we used Priceline and got 2 rooms (family of 5) at the Hilton near Kensington (Hyde Park) for $68 a night....they run for over $350 on their website!! Just keep putting in 4 star and around Hyde Park/Kensington, close to the tube for getting around!

Tara

We stayed at the Lancaster Hall Hotel in the youth wing, but anybody of any age can stay there (the youth wing is a lot cheaper than the other section). The rooms were really cheap considering it was London. It is right near Hyde Park and the Lancaster Gate tube stop. It includes a continental breakfast.

Here is the website: http://www.lancaster-hall-hotel.co.uk/

London is soooo expensive to stay in.

My recommendations are

generator hostel - bloomsbury. I have stayed there a few times. Its clean and modern, well staffed and breakfast is included. They do 6 bed private dorms. Its not far from the british museum and russell square tube.

or youth hostel associaton - though they are getting more pricey but over the last couple have years have changed a lot to be really geared up for families. I just had a look and the YHAs in london pancras and london central and london st pauls have 6 bed family rooms from £74 to £100 a night in november. Thats very cheap.

I have stayed in B&Bs for less but they are generally horribly seedy and I wouldn't want to take kids.

Edited by lailasmum

Finally, while in London you MUST do the Tower of London. It's my favorite historical tour, ever. The Beefeaters who staff the compound are funny and really cool.

:iagree: If you buy your tickets online, it's cheaper. That is the one thing my kids are still talking about almost 2 years later. Seeing the "Traitor's Gate" really hit them since we had just read about Anne Boelyn. Of course, the Crown Jewels were amazing. It was well worth the money!

ETA: Link