Menu

Ambleside Online users out there?

tinkhs

We haven't even started. My head is spinning. I sent back a package that didn't work at all. Big sigh. I only really need something for my first grader. I think I'll do something like Carol's Curriculum for my pre-school kiddo.

Now I'm looking into Ambleside Online. Anyone out there use this? Pros, cons? It looks pretty complete and my library has a lot of the books. Big plus. I have Saxon 1 for math. That and starfall are all we've gotten done in the past couple of weeks.

Please help!

Do a search for Ambleside ............. you will find tons of posts about it. Quite a few people here use it...and I'm about to, I think, but I don't know... I'm kind of afraid of it. LOL

There is also a yahoo group about it....I'm waiting on approval.

Edited by PamInMN
Cause I felt like adding more info.... :D

We've enjoyed it! I prefer buying and holding the books, so would have liked it more had i just done that. instead, i tried to do it using googlebooks and librivox.org audion versions anywhere I could. Not my cup of tea, although we all now love librivox after using it. I think you should try it. It is free and the book selections are wonderful. We only shifted to beautiful feet this year bc/ i really wanted American history this year and we borrowed all of it - free is good. Otherwise, I think I would have purchased all of the AO selections and continued.

I think I'll try it out from the library for the first few weeks to see if it's a fit since we just sent back a $600 failure. I should have known better. I got scared thinking I needed school at home and when it came, it was not for us at all!

I try to search and see what I come up with.

Any Year 1 users past or present, I would enjoy to hear about your experiences.

It is a totally doable curriculum. It is a Charlotte Mason approach. When I did year one, just to say, I did a lot of the reading to my sons. That was great fun!! A lot of hard work on my part, but we had such warm times together as a family that will never be forgotten.

I remember reading all 450 pages of the Jungle Book to my sons. We did it little by little. The interesting part is my sons remember that story to this day. I just remember cuddling with my kids in bed and reading.

We use to play this art game where I would show them the picture. They would point out all that they saw. Then, I would turn the picture around and they would have to tell me what they remembered.

We go outside and identify animals since we have so many. We go inside and read about them. We would identify leaves, etc.

We still do it. We still narrate back either orally or written.

We enjoy the program. My children never complain about the curriculum when I do Ambleside. When I do something else, they complain.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Guest Cindie2dds

Audrey,

We are going through Paddle-to-the-Sea right now. I wanted to say thanks for the maps on your blog! :)

We are on week 5 of Year 1. (My olders aren't doing AO.) We're loving it!

I did buy all of the books. As soon as I get my Kindle :drool5: I may sell most of them and just use the eBooks.

We are doing year 1 this year. I have boys ages 6 and 5.

I love it. The kids seem to like it too. I picked it because I lean very heavily CM in the early years especially (philosophically). Here is what I am enjoying about the program.

I LOVE the literature. Although we are not afraid of fairies, witches and goblins and such here, I still skip a few things. Overall, the literature is what drew me to the program, and the reading schedules are very organized. Keeps me on track. I have a Kindle, and downloaded most of the books for free. (You can also download a Kindle version for pretty much any device you have, too) I read off my Kindle, and from some actual books themselves. So much of the Year 0 books I already had, so I knew that the selections would probably be right up my alley. The books are so rich linguistically, and although I was afraid some of it might be over their heads, they are grasping everything just fine.

I have incorporated the short lessons and copywork and narration. The year is going fabulously well. I am so pleased. I floundered around a bit last year trying to find my niche and I am very happy with Ambleside Online. We are even going to begin art lessons this month to help in our nature note books. I am SO art challenged. I am still considering what to do about Shakespeare. We're holding off on that a little. The kids are pretty young. We might read an intro to one of his plays this year, but his subject matters are pretty heavy for my kids ages.

I don't know if this interests you or not, but we are doing Miquon math, Professor B (math), Webster's Blue Back Speller for LA, and I make our own handwriting program using Startwrite. I follow CM philosophy for lessons pretty much across the board.

Hth!

Sarah

What about those of you who have more than one child, or a wide age span? Mine at home are 11, 9, and 6. So far we've done Sonlight, and now Winter Promise, but I REALLY want to just go with a more Charlotte Mason approach. I doesn't seem doable to try to do three different years of Ambleside at once though. How do the rest of you handle that?

What about those of you who have more than one child, or a wide age span? Mine at home are 11, 9, and 6. So far we've done Sonlight, and now Winter Promise, but I REALLY want to just go with a more Charlotte Mason approach. I doesn't seem doable to try to do three different years of Ambleside at once though. How do the rest of you handle that?

Your 11 and 9 year olds should be able to do most of the readings on their own. The most "work" will be with your 6 year old. Y1 with my ds7 doesn't take a lot of time per day. If I sat down and did it all at once... maybe 30 minutes and that includes phonics. Not math though.

I've combined my 11 and 9 yo into one year (it's not widely recommended, but for us, it works). If that was something that would work for you, then you'd just have 2 separate years to deal with.

I am still reading most of the books to my dc - we are in Year 4 - because although I know my ds would be fine reading everything on his own, my dd would not be yet. Ds is such a fast reader that he would just skip stuff he didn't know or understand (things in Robinson Crusoe, for example), and dd would just get frustrated that she wasn't understanding everything well. So I do have them reading one book on their own and then narrating, but the others we are going through together.

We're soon going to start our 3rd year of AO. My ds loves it. I buy most of the books used and have some on my Nook. We're probably going to stick with AO for years to come.

I know it looks scary, but everything you need is right there on the website. I started by printing out all 36 weeks of the schedule. On a separate page I listed all the free reading books, what we will do daily (poetry, copywork, math) and what we'll do weekly (nature, art, & composer study). Go to the site map AO page to see the term schedules for nature, art, composer, and poet, and also how to incorporate the CM method while following AO. There are so many tips there. :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart

I don't have personal experience but recently started talking to a friend about her experience with AO. She's used it from the beginning with her daughter who I think is now about 12 perhaps. She had just asked her recently how she felt about school and she said she enjoys it, always has. From talking to her I'm thinking more and more about using it too staring in first.

After a night to sleep on it and a good talk with my husband, we are going to do Year 1. Thank you for all the information you sweet ladies have given me. It's a pretty time of year to start a nature walk in the Midwest anyway. I think I need to join the yahoo group. Does anyone have a link for the groups I should join?

In Christ,

Beth

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmblesideOnline/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmbleRamble/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AO_Year01/

These are several that you may find useful. The yahoo group for year1 should have schedules for each term that are very handy - check the files for them.

Our years using AO have been some of our best!

We tweak it, but do use AO as our "spine". :D Ds LOVED the AO 1 books, especially the Burgess Bird Book. We read the entire books instead of the 6 chapters (or so) assigned, and he's re-reading it now in 2nd grade. He's gone on to read just about every Burgess book out there, over and over again!

I was afraid of Parables of Nature, since many don't like it, and put it off until late last year. Ds loves it, too :)

Now, we're in AO 2 and ds reads most of his books by himself. We've switched a few books (using a different Shakespeare book), deleted a few (like Trial and Triumph), added a bit (R&S Grammar, Song School Latin, etc.), and use the Come Look With Me series for picture study.

So far, we are really enjoying the journey! Good luck!

:)

P.S. If your dc can't tackle a book when it's scheduled, feel free to wait and try it later. At the beginning of 1st, with ds freshly turned 6, he couldn't listen through an entire chapter of OIS without his eyes glazing over (or SOTW, for that matter). I waited a few months, focusing on other things. Now, he delights in reading these books to himself! His narrations have also GREATLY improved within a year. HTH.

So...with a 6 yr old dd(who is a VERY good tag along), and 9 yr. old ds and 11 yr old ds, what year/years would you use?

It really depends on what type of literature they're used to - it can be quite a jump for some kids if they've been used to a different type of curriculum. I would suggest you look at Years 1-3 and see if you and your kids have read any/most of the books and then pick a Year based on which books seem to be the best fit. Your 6 yo could start in Year 1, but I'd only do that if you're sure she's really ready, and closer to 7 years old, not just turned 6 (they do have a Year 0).

I've run into some issues because I did combine my kids and dd (the 9 yo) started the AO cycle too young. We added in Year 3 1/2 and spread that over 2 years, but even so, Year 4 is proving a stretch for her. It's a good fit for my 11 yo.

We enjoy most of the readalouds. There have been a couple that we set aside for later (this year in year 3 we set aside the Story of Inventions because my ds8 just didn't know enough of the technical vocab to get anything out of it.) That said, my children's vocabulary and comprehension has sky rocketed w/ AO. :001_smile:

So...with a 6 yr old dd(who is a VERY good tag along), and 9 yr. old ds and 11 yr old ds, what year/years would you use?

I'd search the yahoo groups mentioned above, or post a question there. The ladies on that board are very knowledgeable and experienced with AO, and could help you find a good fit for which years to choose. :)

I like starting your 6 yo dd in AO 1 would be excellent, IMHO. Starting from the beginning with AO1 and a 6 yo is very doable. The more difficult question is where to start your 9 ds and 11 ds. I'd carefully look over the AO years, keeping in mind that the literature at these levels is meant to be read INDEPENDENTLY by the student, and judge from there. But, do please post on the yahoo group or search around. Most likely, someone has asked the same question before! :)

I'd carefully look over the AO years, keeping in mind that the literature at these levels is meant to be read INDEPENDENTLY by the student, and judge from there.

Technically, it's recommended that starting in Year 2 and 3, the children will begin to read some of their books independently and by Year 4 or 5, will be reading the majority by themselves (with the exception of Shakespeare and Plutarch). It's outlined here:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml#started

Technically, it's recommended that starting in Year 2 and 3, the children will begin to read some of their books independently and by Year 4 or 5, will be reading the majority by themselves (with the exception of Shakespeare and Plutarch). It's outlined here:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml#started

Thanks for clarifying that! I assumed that the OP would be looking at years 3+ for her dc. :) You are absolutely correct.

(We're newish to AO ourselves, so I'll leave it to others more experienced than I to help!) ;)

We follow AO and have for a few years. My older dd is using Year 8 and my younger is using Year 3 with some books from Year 2. We use most of the books from AO, but do adapt them to suit us. I find the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros: (my opinion)

*Rich literature and history

*source documents in the upper years

*attention to detail (with picture study, copywork, narrations, dictation, etc.)

*finding beauty in what we learn

*emphasis on books that allow people, events, etc. to be alive and real

*allows the child to make their own connections yet provides enough strands to make this happen

*attention to the arts (art, music, poetry, Shakespeare, etc.)

I think I could go on here...:001_smile:

Cons: (again, my opinion)

*difficult to understand without reading CM's actual books and studying the PNEU curriculum as well as others' thoughts

*hard to implement writing (in the upper years especially)

*some weakness in sciences, but this can be adjusted

*not much in teaching aids is available (especially aids that are true to CM)

*difficult to teach multiple children since it is hard to combine (but again this can be done with adaptations)

I might think of more here too, but ....:001_smile:

This is all my humble opinion of which some may disagree. This is just my perspective but I hope this helps a little.

• 1 month later...
We follow AO and have for a few years. My older dd is using Year 8 and my younger is using Year 3 with some books from Year 2. We use most of the books from AO, but do adapt them to suit us. I find the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros: (my opinion)

*Rich literature and history

*source documents in the upper years

*attention to detail (with picture study, copywork, narrations, dictation, etc.)

*finding beauty in what we learn

*emphasis on books that allow people, events, etc. to be alive and real

*allows the child to make their own connections yet provides enough strands to make this happen

*attention to the arts (art, music, poetry, Shakespeare, etc.)

I think I could go on here...:001_smile:

Cons: (again, my opinion)

*difficult to understand without reading CM's actual books and studying the PNEU curriculum as well as others' thoughts

*hard to implement writing (in the upper years especially)

*some weakness in sciences, but this can be adjusted

*not much in teaching aids is available (especially aids that are true to CM)

*difficult to teach multiple children since it is hard to combine (but again this can be done with adaptations)

I might think of more here too, but ....:001_smile:

This is all my humble opinion of which some may disagree. This is just my perspective but I hope this helps a little.

I agree with your humble opinion. :)

Guest Cindie2dds

There is the 36 week schedule on their website, but if you haven't been to the yahoo groups yet, I would poke around there. There is an amazing schedule broken down by subject so you can write in what you did for copywork, nature study, etc. It also has the free reading books listed at the end so you can remember to read them as well. I can even list all the resources. Join the yahoo groups! There's a copywork one, lesson plans, artist PDF files, you name it!

There is the 36 week schedule on their website, but if you haven't been to the yahoo groups yet, I would poke around there. There is an amazing schedule broken down by subject so you can write in what you did for copywork, nature study, etc. It also has the free reading books listed at the end so you can remember to read them as well. I can even list all the resources. Join the yahoo groups! There's a copywork one, lesson plans, artist PDF files, you name it!

We have been using AO for some time and it wasn't really til this year that I realized the mass amount of info available on the yahoo groups. i was even a member of them but never got around to reading them.

Talk about light bulb moments! Suddenly, so many things were making sense or I was able to "see" them for the first time. It has really enriched our use of AO and CM theories.