Menu

General Halloween Costume Vent

I go through this every year. My taller/larger than average 10 year old no longer fits in the age appropriate costumes. The costumes she does fit in are too far from modest for my comfort zone. She doesn't need to be covered from head to toe but she also does not need to be a Sexy Pirate or a Sexy Ninja or a Sexy whatever. Nor does she want to dress up as Lady Gaga, a Diva, etc.

I have zero talent for sewing my own. So frustrating.

she also does not need to be a Sexy Pirate or a Sexy Ninja or a Sexy whatever.

:iagree:

What does she want to be? My kids are incredibly talented at creating costumes out of nothing. Maybe some of us can help.

Also, there is a larger selection online. When I do buy a costume, I NEVER buy it in a store.

Barb

This year she wants to be a hippie. A groovy hippie. The flower child look which I can make out of clothes she already owns is no good.

I will thankfully take any suggestions.

I am just happy my ds decided this year all he needs is a fake nose and glasses.

:iagree:

What does she want to be? My kids are incredibly talented at creating costumes out of nothing. Maybe some of us can help.

Also, there is a larger selection online. When I do buy a costume, I NEVER buy it in a store.

Barb

I agree...instead of looking at costumes at a store, have her think of what she'd like to be. Then brainstorm togehter and post on the board for more ideas.

This year she wants to be a hippie. A groovy hippie. The flower child look which I can make out of clothes she already owns is no good.

I am just happy my ds decided this year all he needs is a fake nose and glasses.

My 16yo had a 60's hippie party for her birthday last summer and passed out headbands and fake glasses as favors. Here's a picture of my 9yo wearing them:

100717_0288.jpg

Want me to send you a set? We have a bunch leftover.

What exactly does a "groovy hippy" wear? Is it stuff available from the Goodwill?

My kids are pondering parts from Twelfth Night -- in particular, Olivia and Viola. This will involve performing a scene from the play at each house. I'm trying not to think about what the costumes will entail. Last month they were planning to be lumberjacks and perform the Monty Python lumberjack song at each house, which sounded like simpler costumes. I'd be stunned and grateful for something as straight forward as a hippy (except then they'd probably want to perform "Hair").

What exactly does a "groovy hippy" wear? Is it stuff available from the Goodwill?

I asked that very question. It seems the groovy one wears more of a mod style (think psychedelic) then the long flowery skirt.

I think I have her convinced she can wear her shirt with peace signs and a solid color skirt and we will get her some accessories.

I do appreciate all the suggestions. I will definitely be hitting up the thrift store.

I share your pain, my 11 wears an adult size 4 and is 5'2. Last year she went as a punk or rave girl. Bright colors that didnt' match with odd striped tights (black bike shorts worn over tights) and neon fishnet gloves. We opted for a bright yellow and orange wig to complete. There will be no sexy anything here. This year I think she said she and her sister were going to be a set of dice, 2 boxes, white spray paint and some black felt, DONE.

Hippie costume for me would be a pair of jean with iron on patches you can get at at Jo-Anne's Fabric or Hobby Lobby. Think peace signs, lots of flowers in bright colors, a bright colored scarf turned inot belt, a suade vest with bead if possible and a tye-dye shirt to go under then a tye-dye head band and so super cool round glasses. You could even get a wig if you are so inclined.

Happy Halloween Hunting

I did a hippie costume many, many years ago ;). I took a pair of jeans and split the side seam from knee to ankle and inserted a half-yard triangle shaped piece of flowered material in each leg to make bellbottoms---"elephant bells," I think we called them (think fabric glue since you don't sew). I took a large men's white undershirt and tiedyed it in purple, then wore it as a tunic. With this went a macrame belt, lots of bead necklaces and lots of rings and sandals. I tied an oblong scarf around my head (I had one in a garish print that was my mother's, you could also tiedye a strip of fabric for this, use a purchased one, or even color a strip of paper), frizzed my hair out and stuck daisies in it (mine were real, but fake would work). I took makeup and put a peace sign on one cheek, wrote "LOVE" on the other and did vertical stripes on my eyelids. To complete the look, I made a "make love, not war" sign done in "mod" puffy-looking letters (think the old Dating Game style lettering) and put it on a stick.

The fake National Health granny spectacles would work wonderfully with that.

You gals are so awesome. Thank you for the great ideas. I am capable of iron on patches. I may even be able to pull off the elephant bells.

I knew the hive was the place to help me.

Mysticametyst-I am glad to know I am not alone. My dd seems to tower over most of her friends. She just squeaks past 5' and I can tell she is about to have a growth spurt.