Menu

I need to color my hair...

call me vain...whatever. I just noticed I'm getting pretty gray at the temples. I've thought of coloring my hair for the last couple years, but I've never been able to work up the nerve to actually do it. I even bought the dye and it's been sitting under my sink for over a year.

I just don't want to wait so long that everyone I meet after I decide to do it says...YOu've colored your hair!

Someone give me the courage I need to do this!

I have advice -- not courage -- and I am really good at hair color............always select a shade that is much lighter than what you think you need. Hair color comes out very very very dark -- much darker than the little samples or the photo of the color on the box. I have (when it is not highlighted) medium ash brown hair color -- If I were to try and cover gray using a shade of medium ash brown, the coloring product would make my hair look almost black. Instead (and I got rid of the highlights just last week) I selected a dark ash blonde and I used 75% of that and a medium ash blonde and I used 25% of that......I prefer to combine shades to avoid that 'shoe polish' look of one flat color.

Another hint: 'golden' will lean more toward reddish or reddish highlights........'ash' is a 'cool' color with no warm tones in it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Do it. I didn't want to either a few years ago, but dh mentioned the grays and so I bit the bullet. Now I'm so glad I did and I'm even getting a little experimental (like I did highlights at a salon this summer). Usually I do it at home, and it's so much simpler than I thought it would be. Often dh colors my hair for me.

There are videos online to show you exactly how it's done if you need a little extra nudge.

Really, you'll be glad you did it.

I did mine the day before yesterday. But I've been coloring to cover gray for more than a decade. I started going gray at 25. I stick to shades of blonde. Right now it is a dirty blonde (number 8 instead of the number 9 shown.)

I color mine every 6-8 weeks and often not the same color more than twice in a row. I do not often hear "Oh, you colored your hair." Every once in a while someone looks at me quizzically trying to figure out what is different though.

You can do it. It is just a little box of hair color.

I have advice -- not courage -- and I am really good at hair color............always select a shade that is much lighter than what you think you need. Hair color comes out very very very dark -- much darker than the little samples or the photo of the coklor on the box. I have (when it is not highlighted) medium ash brown hair color -- If I were to try and cover gray using a shade of medium ash brown, the coloring product would make my hair look almost black. Instead (and I got rid of the highlights just last week) I selected a dark ash blonde and I used 75% of that and a medium ash blonde and I used 25% of that......I prefer to combine shades to avoid that 'shoe polish' look of one flat color.

Another hint: 'golden' will lean more toward reddish or reddish highlights........'ash' is a 'cool' color with no warm tones in it.

:iagree:This is all great advice. My natural hair color is very dark brown (with some grays now) and I have fair skin. I use a medium ash brown when I color. Using dark brown color makes me look goth.

I dye slightly darker. The dye lightens up and by the time my hair is growing out and needing to be dyed again, the roots are blending nicely with the rest. I think dying darker also prevents me from looking like a middle aged woman that is "trying" to hide the gray with blonde (of course, I'm getting nice silver in and these crazy black, kinky strands coming in...I'm originally ash blonde, but that keeps getting darker as I've gotten older). Go for what you think would look natural on you and with your colouring.

*still considering purple ;) *

How do you use 75% of one color and 25% of the other to avoid the shoe polish look? Do you mix them in one bottle? Doesn't that still come out to one color if the two colors are blended?

Ummmm, I buy the two colors I want to use (make sure they are from the same 'line' -- and the same brand.......when I say from the same 'line' I mean that everything about them is the same except the shade). You have the tube or bottle of the actual shade......and that goes into the plastic developer bottle with the little top that you snip off.......I put 75% of one shade and 25% of the other shade into the developer bottle. Yes, it means that one bottle of developer remains unopened and gets tossed into the trash AND it means I buy two boxes of hair color......but it is worth the cost, and you do end up with TWO tubes of the color conditioner so you can use it for twice as long.

Red Door Spa costs upwards of $200. when I have my hair colored there......and that is just not going to happen every 6-8 weeks. Mixing at home works for me.

call me vain...whatever. I just noticed I'm getting pretty gray at the temples. I've thought of coloring my hair for the last couple years, but I've never been able to work up the nerve to actually do it. I even bought the dye and it's been sitting under my sink for over a year.

I just don't want to wait so long that everyone I meet after I decide to do it says...YOu've colored your hair!

Someone give me the courage I need to do this!

One more bit of advice. If you're really nervous you could start with a demi-permanent or semi-permanent color. The box will say it's good for "28 washes". This way if you don't like it, you'll be able to change it sooner. I wish I had gone this route at first to find the right color for me.

One more bit of advice. If you're really nervous you could start with a demi-permanent or semi-permanent color. The box will say it's good for "28 washes". This way if you don't like it, you'll be able to change it sooner. I wish I had gone this route at first to find the right color for me.

yeah...this is what I'm thinking.

please tell me how to pick the right color...I'm looking at the Clairol website and I'm seeing warm, neutral and cool....so what the heck does that mean?

I would not do it on the website, but go to the store and look at the tops and backs of the boxes. The website can show colours oddly depending on your monitor and their site. The top of the box gives an approximate. The back usually gives three variances depending on the current shade of your hair (showing both the current shade and what it should look like after dying).

You can do it! :)

I've been coloring my hair on my own regularly for the past 10+ years (early graying runs in my family). I like the results of a salon job, but just don't have time to get to the salon every 6-8 weeks - coloring at home is so much easier.

I use Natural Instincts demi-permanent color (the type that washes out after 28 shampoos - does not contain ammonia). They also have a semi-permanent product that washes out after 8-12 shampoos.

In terms of color selection, I usually go a bit lighter in the summer and darker in the winter, but never darker than my natural shade (I have dark brown hair).

The only tip I would add to what's already been mentioned above is to make sure you apply the color to the grayest areas first so that those spots get the longest application.

Happy coloring! :)

I used to color my dark brown hair to a light blonde. It worked fine but whenever I did my roots, I would have a noticable line showing the difference between the old dye job and the new one. I followed the directions of leaving it on longer for the new roots then combing it through, etc.. Any suggestions to prevent that? I don't have a lot of gray - mostly isolated strands but my hair overall is much duller looking than it used to be.

please tell me how to pick the right color...I'm looking at the Clairol website and I'm seeing warm, neutral and cool....so what the heck does that mean?

You cannot do it on the website - you need to be in the store.

Warm -- will have reddish undertones -- the lightest colored strands of your hair will be reddish or golden with a warm color.

Neutral -- no warm or cool --

cool -- usually has 'ash' in the name of the shade -- brownish without any warmth.

You want to first determine your natural hair color and find the shade that is closest a la Clairol or L'Oreal or whomever. When you find what is closest, you want to look perhaps two shades lighter -- if you do not want the fact that you have colored to be apparent, I would go two shades lighter......and definitly, first time around.....look for something that is semi-permanent/washes out in 28 days.

I'd say if you've never done it before, spend some money and have it done by a pro. I've been coloring my hair since I was about 14 and since I was in my late 20's I've always had it done. There's a HUGE difference in having someone do it for you and doing it yourself. If you don't want a huge change, it will look more natural if a pro does it.

so if my hair naturally is brown with red highlights (except for those darned gray streaks) I'd go warm right?

Yes -- Warm or golden -- but remember, at least ONE shade lighter than what looks like your natural color. Color ALWAYS dyes darker than the shade you see on the box -- and if your hair is 'virgin' hair (never been colored), it will soak up the color so if you don't want to look like Eddie Munster, go at least one shade lighter -- preferably two.

(getting old stinks)

Yes, it does.:glare:

and if I totally blow it I can wash my hair 28 times to make it go away?

Yes, and then it will look like H*LL -- ;) -- Using the semi-permanent kind (and they are excellent quality) will save you the horror of 'what color have I dyed my hair?' :w00t: -- if you have to wash to get some color out, pick up a bottle of 'PRELL' shampoo (do they still make that?) -- you want a shampoo that is highly alkaline to get color out. Go with semi-permanent, two shades lighter and I think you will be fine. And, conditioner is your friend after coloring! Remember that!

Also, get yourself either clairol or John Frieda (can't remember which brand it is) shampoo and conditioner for darker blonde shades or caramel/honey colored brown shades -- only use PRELL if you need to get some of the color out b/c it has come out too dark. O/W, don't use the prell -- it IS harsh.

Oh, and trust me -- one only makes the 'WHAT COLOR HAVE I DYED MY HAIR? mistake O.N.C.E. Really.;)

PM me if you need help or have any questions.

here's hoping I don't turn out like Anne Shirley.

:iagree: OR Eddie Munster. :001_huh:

Eddie Munster would be worse -- Anne Shirley 'red' could be toned down right away with a light cool brown. Eddie Munster shoe polish black, well, there's nowhere to go with that.

In fact, the color that I got rave reviews on was a 'red' that was TOO coppery and I colored it 8 hours later with a light cool brown and it was gorgeous -- a mistake, but gorgeous.l

Edited by MariannNOVA

Another question...my hair is several inches longer than shoulder length...Should one pkg of dye do it? Or should I get 2?

If your hair is fine - maybe one package would do it -- if you have thick hair, I would say two -- and just owing to the length, I would get two packages -- you want to make sure your hair is saturated with the product.

I've been coloring my hair for so long that most people I know don't even know that I had started going gray. Having naturally dark hair, my gray starting showing around 24-ish. I've been coloring my hair since then (almost 14 years). Sadly, I'm no longer quite as on top of the situation as I used to be. I go a little longer between colorings than I would like to based on time constraints (kids).

But the grey is sooooo wild and wirey! I tried various conditioners, etc. and it drove me crazy. I'm only about 25% gray, so for now I color.

It really isn't hard. It takes about an hour, and I use a light, golden brown to do my medium brown and grey hair. I use L'Oreal Preference.

I am 42 and have been coloring my hair for 20 years because of grey. It's only slightly different than my natural color (my natural color is dark brown, this is dark brown but with a little more auburn in it). I just feel so old and draggy with gray hair. I can't stand it. When I go gray, I want to "go gray" and be a distiguished older woman with a beautiful head of silver hair. Hmm, we'll see how that works out!

so if my hair naturally is brown with red highlights (except for those darned gray streaks) I'd go warm right?

(getting old stinks)

My hair has natural red highlights and when I use warm or even neutral hair color, the red really pops out somehow. My hair ends up looking quite red and kind of brassy. I have to use cool/ash color, and even then I still end up with the red showing through. I like red but dh doesn't. If you and your dh like red, then by all means go for a warm color.

I used to color my dark brown hair to a light blonde. It worked fine but whenever I did my roots, I would have a noticable line showing the difference between the old dye job and the new one. I followed the directions of leaving it on longer for the new roots then combing it through, etc.. Any suggestions to prevent that? I don't have a lot of gray - mostly isolated strands but my hair overall is much duller looking than it used to be.

This is what I worry about too. Any advice?

I am able to avoid this by ONLY coloring the new growth/roots. I do not comb the color through to the rest of my hair.

A hair stylist explained to me that if you color anything other than the new growth, you are creating a build-up of color on the rest of your hair. Even the "demi" or "semi-permanent" dyes create a build-up - they don't completely wash out. Because of that build-up, your hair processes the color differently and so the ends of your hair will turn out a different color than the new growth each time you color. It also keeps your hair in better shape if you only color the new growth (every time I go in for a hair cut, the stylists comment on how healthy my hair is despite the fact that I color so frequently - they say it's because I only color the new growth).

This should work for you if you always stick with the same color (or something very close). If you switch colors frequently though, only coloring the new growth will be a problem.

HTH!

ETA: Caveat - this will probably only work if you're coloring your hair the same shade as your natural color or darker. It may not work if you're going lighter (just realized that the poster I'm responding to was going lighter - sorry!)...

Edited by Dandelion

I am able to avoid this by ONLY coloring the new growth/roots. I do not comb the color through to the rest of my hair.

A hair stylist explained to me that if you color anything other than the new growth, you are creating a build-up of color on the rest of your hair. Even the "demi" or "semi-permanent" dyes create a build-up - they don't completely wash out. Because of that build-up, your hair processes the color differently and so the ends of your hair will turn out a different color than the new growth each time you color. It also keeps your hair in better shape if you only color the new growth (every time I go in for a hair cut, the stylists comment on how healthy my hair is despite the fact that I color so frequently - they say it's because I only color the new growth).

This should work for you if you always stick with the same color (or something very close). If you switch colors frequently though, only coloring the new growth will be a problem.

HTH!

ETA: Caveat - this will probably only work if you're coloring your hair the same shade as your natural color or darker. It may not work if you're going lighter (just realized that the poster I'm responding to was going lighter - sorry!)...

Thank you for responding. I did get this problem even with the 28 shampoo colors so I knew that wouldn't be a solution.

Unfortunately my hair is pretty dark to begin with so I definitely don't want to go darker. I may have to start paying up for a professional to do it. With mid-back length, very thick hair I know it's going to be $$$. :tongue_smilie: