Menu

Playmobil question

Do your children have their large playmobil sets (ie castles, romans, pirates) set up according to instructions or creatively? For example, would you set up the large, ornate castle in a smaller and simpler design?

We have a lot of Playmobil but I'm still thinking of boxing it up, because it frustrates my ASD 12yos. He has to have it exactly as the box or website showed it. And it breaks easily etc.

sometimes they set it up picture perfect, other times it's anything goes. The large castle is the hardest. It did frustrate my oldest son for a long time. He went through a time when he wouldn't play with it because it was too hard to set up. I could see how it would completely put off some kids. My dd likes it to look perfect, but she has been known to get creative too.

Some of the sets are easier to make look like the pictures than others.

I can't imagine my dc ever using any building toy according to the directions. Legos get built once, taken apart and then re-purposed. Same with any other set of anything, really. Honestly, they aren't happy unless they make it fit their needs, whatever those may be.

I just bought some Playmobile circus caging so they could have a jail for their bad guys. I am 100% certain it will never, ever be used as intended by the manufacturer.

I can't imagine my dc ever using any building toy according to the directions. Legos get built once, taken apart and then re-purposed. Same with any other set of anything, really. Honestly, they aren't happy unless they make it fit their needs, whatever those may be.

:iagree:This is exactly how my kids are.

post-1122-13535083930385_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535083930749_thumb.jpg

We have the building parts in individual Rubbermaid storage containers (labeled) in the garage. These are the boxes: Roman, Egyptian, Pirate, Castle, Viking, Ships and Western.

They have City and Modern sets at my mom's house.

They are allowed one theme in the house at a time.

In the house, we always keep basics separated in plastic storage bins (labeled). We have:

landscapes, trees and flowers, rocks, people, animals, transportation, weapons and miscellaneous.

This keeps my house and the boys from being overwhelmed, but allows enough Playmobil to be used in many different ways. Like, one day, Nathan brought in the Roman Playmobil and set up his Lego Glatorian Bionicles in the arena.

I also had to throw in Ben's interpretation of Dangerous Journey (Pilgrim's Progress).

post-1122-13535083931099_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535083930385_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535083930749_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535083931099_thumb.jpg

Edited by nestof3

I just bought some Playmobile circus caging so they could have a jail for their bad guys. I am 100% certain it will never, ever be used as intended by the manufacturer.

:iagree: That's what happens here. Whenever we get dd a new set (last Christmas it was the pyramid) we help her set it up but it never stays that way. The large structures sit on the floor in her room and all of the pieces are in three drawers under her bed.

If she were frustrated by having too much out then I would definitely box some of it up and put it in her closet.

My kids have a lot of Playmobil: castle, pyramid, ships, gladiator arena. The very first time, it gets set up according to instructions. After that, they use it extremely creatively, combine pieces in an imaginative way. Especially the castle parts are very versatile.

As for breaking; we had very few breakages, usually only when somebody steps on it. I have found it to be very sturdy and durable.

When not in use, the playmobil resides in boxes and is sorted in detail: plants, landscape, weapons, knights, pirates... you get the idea.

:iagree: same here

I also had to throw in Ben's interpretation of Dangerous Journey (Pilgrim's Progress).

Love it! :001_smile:

That is some kind of storage set-up you have! Wowzers! :drool5:

:iagree:

I refuse to buy any Playmobil structures. We have tons of people, animals, vehicles and miscellaneous paraphanalia, but no houses or castles or anything. My kids have the best time outfitting a simple wooden Target house into a castle, hospital, Hogwarts, or currently the SG-C (we had a bit of a Stargate TV marathon over the summer. :tongue_smilie:) They also take over various surfaces in bookcases or on top of bureaus to make Playmobil tableau. I really feel like the structures impede creativity - they can make anything be anything without being constrained by what it's "supposed" to be. (and I have no room for large structures anyway...)

Would it be any help if your ds saw the catalogs for Playmobil, where they create big scenes that go beyond the picture on the box top? There are even some You Tube videos with stop action films using Playmobil. And then there are guys who use Playmobil for garden wargaming.

I even have a wonderful book (unfortunately in German) that is a history of the world illustrated with Playmobil scenes.

Just thinking that some examples of alternate constructions and uses might help the play with these toys seem less bound by a right way and a wrong way.

[ATTACH]3325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3326[/ATTACH]

We have the building parts in individual Rubbermaid storage containers (labeled) in the garage. These are the boxes: Roman, Egyptian, Pirate, Castle, Viking, Ships and Western.

In the house, we always keep basics separated in plastic storage bins (labeled). We have:

landscapes, trees and flowers, rocks, people, animals, transportation, weapons and miscellaneous.

This keeps my house and the boys from being overwhelmed, but allows enough Playmobil to be used in many different ways. Like, one day, Nathan brought in the Roman Playmobil and set up his Lego Glatorian Bionicles in the arena.

:D

Love the Dangerous Journey!

I will box it up for grandkids. I don't like to store a lot of stuff, but all of this Playmobil is worth it imo. 3 large boxes stacked will be a treasure trove for the right children. I had a feeling he was unusual in how he wanted it set up just so. Thanks.

Just so you know, this is how Ben is most of the time with his Legos. He very rarely makes anything outside of the box -- different than the instructions. He had initially sorted his Legos by color, but all of the new sets get disassembled and placed into a ziploc bag with the name written on it. He wishes he had done this to all of his Legos. These bags are stored in the garage.

Nathan doesn't really like Legos unless they are Star Wars. Aaron became quite the master at building his own designs.

I will box it up for grandkids. I don't like to store a lot of stuff, but all of this Playmobil is worth it imo. 3 large boxes stacked will be a treasure trove for the right children. I had a feeling he was unusual in how he wanted it set up just so. Thanks.

[ATTACH]3325[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3326[/ATTACH]

Can we come over to your house to play!!!?:D

I would love more Playmobil but it's so expensive. Then I remember how much money I've wasted on crappy toys and wish I would have just bought Playmobil. We are thinking of getting the Egyptian set for a combo gift for the kids for Christmas.

And to answer the op, no, ours are never kept as they are intended but always repurposed and combined. It frustrates me actually. I'm the one who wants the lovely organized bins like nestof3.