Menu

Combining Sonlight and Tapestry of Grace

CathyCDK

For a variety of compelling reasons, I think the best path for us is to combine SL and TOG. Before I spend a lot of time on planning, I'm wondering if someone has already done this and graciously shared their plans on the web somewhere. I've found a lot of blogs about comparing the two, and one about informally combining. If I could find something similar to the schdedules combining things like SL and SOTW or SL and MOH, I would be truly blessed!

In my preliminary planning, I envision using TOG as our base, and scheduling SL as it fits. It's not my plan to cover both completely. My oldest two are 10 and 8, so for now, I can slow the pace down as needed. The next group of kids are 5, 4 and 3. We plan to adopt more younger kids, so we will be adding more in on a continual basis. :)

If you have experience combining, or that thought of it, I would appreciate your comments!

Blessings,

Cathy

I am in the process of this right now, although we started with Y2. ;) I started by taking inventory of all the Core K-Core 100 books so I know what I already have to work with. I printed off the TOGLooseThreads list of SL books by TOG weeks, although this is an older list it is helpful. I also printed off all the TOG primary and alternative resources and went through what would already be included from SL (and WTM recs). I think this is finally the answer for me, especially since I have no problems tweaking. :lol:

Right now I am working on completing a rough Y2 schedule for LG, UG, and D. The only consideration is that I am reading aloud the UG history to all my students as a carry over from SL, then reading the LG if my library has it, and having my older DD work on additional D history in depth (it helps that the UG is SOTW and Hakim). I also still have my youngers divided off into the SL readers so we are doing an adapted RA schedule using mostly SL books from Core 2 right now. By the time we get to Y2U3 I am hoping to have my youngers following the SL readers that would go along with history alterating with the TOG literature wherever it fits well.

If you find something else already put together please share. This combination is making things so much easier this year and worth all the planning. I have serious doubt that I will ever go back to three cores again. :)

I think there are at least a few people that I have heard are doing something like this in one form or the other.

Edited by melmichigan

Thanks for letting me know about the book list on TOG Loose Threads. That's the type of thing I was looking for. I noticed there isn't a list yet for Year Plan 4.

I'm excited because I can finally see a way to make this work.

Now just to find a way to get my hands on all the IG's, Year Plans and books!

Blessings,

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Melissa,

I'm interested in hearing how your planning is going. After reading more reviews and doing more research, I know this is the way for us to go. This will also make it easier to add in my littles, ages 5,4 and 3 once our adoption is final.

I am now starting my perpetual search for IG's, Year Plans, and books!

Blessings,

Cathy

Things are going well. My DD just got back from vacation so we start back this coming week. I just finished choosing books for the rest of Y2 from the TOG reading assignments. I have an amazon gift card so I broke down and bought 4 books that I thought we really would like to have that my library doesn't carry.

Now I need to start working in what SL I am using for the last three units. Unit 1 was very easy to mesh, primarily because my older DD has already read many of the literature selections from SL and WTM and some of the selections from Core 2 for my youngers are already included in the assignments or very easily substituted, such as Tales of Robin Hood, which is just a different author. I am having my older DD do her first SAP for D literature this week, and added in The Story of Europe reading from the History Core from week 3 forward to give her more depth. It helps that she is an avid reader so literature books don't take as long as scheduled in TOG, leaving time for more of them. :)

It will get a little trickier as my younger DD's move to doing Literature more independently, they aren't ready yet, they handle the UG History just fine but I want them to finish the SL 2 Readers sequence (Regular, Intermediate, and some Advanced). Overall it's going better than I had hoped and the planning is getting easier. Right now I'm having more trouble with CW and Physics. :lol:

Edited by melmichigan

• 4 months later...

I am looking at doing this very thing for next year! (I have 12 weeks to have a plan ready, supplies bought and ready to start).

How did this work for those of you who did this?

I am currently in SL 3 and a friend is letting me borrow her unit 3 of TOG 2 to see how well it would mesh.

Challenges? Benefits? Are you going to continue doing this?

I am looking at 3 cores next year if I don't do something! I have to start tracking for state requirements by 7 yo and must include so many hours in History/geography. So I can't just do the 3 r's with the 4th kiddo, he has to participate in History.

Anything at all you could share would be appreciated! Also, what do you do about language arts if you combine? I currently use the SL LA 3, 2, K

We are starting Y2U3 this week. Things continue to go well for us. The only challenge I am having is with my youngers readers. This is where they would start Core 3 readers. I have gone through them to put them in order but need to sit down and figure out which ones I am having the girls read for sure and what we may read aloud or save for summer. It's a little more complicated because my DD's are twins but at different reading levels. Anyway I need to figure out how that part will work yet.

My older DD is trucking along just fine, I'm always hunting for more readers for her so there hasn't been any problem there. Planning has gotten easier, I don't stress it as much and don't write out every day anymore, just weekly goals and then fill in what we actually accomplished each day toward those goals. I plan to continue and am looking at my Y3 plans off and on to get a feel for next year. I adapt where necessary and still doa read-aloud daily from SL lists that incorporates most the kids.

I switched this year to PR for all my other LA. PR4 came in the mail yesterday so I'm busy :drool5:. I never liked SL's LA so I'm no help there.

Added: I find myself using the SL IG's themselves less and less. There is so much in the TOG history notes that I never need the IG's for that and with SL reader/read-aloud questions being basic comprehension, I have really moved away from them as well. The only ones I will use regularly are those for Core 2 Readers since the twins are working through all the different levels.

Edited by melmichigan

I'm just curious as to the reasons you want to do this. I am currently using SL loosely and am looking at TOG for the future. Just wondering if this might be an option for us. If you don't mind sharing your reasons...

Not the OP, but I often use the SL bookbasket...for SL books :) as I use TOG for my core. The only reason I do it...so I don't miss any good books :D

What do you mean by SL bookbasket? Just optional reading books after assigned reading?

Yes. You leave a basket of great books out for additional, pleasure reading. For us, it becomes our, "You may read any book from the basket during Assigned Reading time or just for pleasure." My book lovers generally devour it and the rest enjoy the stories as they read, but wouldn't find reading fun outside of school (boogers).

I'm just curious as to the reasons you want to do this. I am currently using SL loosely and am looking at TOG for the future. Just wondering if this might be an option for us. If you don't mind sharing your reasons...

I love the books used in SL and don't want to miss them. ( It's easier for me because I already have SL K-100 on the shelf and can pick and choose when and what to add to TOG). TOG runs the show and gives me what I need to teach, SL is a nice supplement for my avid readers.

Well, we're looking at doing this for several reasons...

1. I currently rearrange SL core to fit all of my different ages and learning styles while adding TQ and STOW and WPAS1...that's a whole lot of rearranging/combining. My hope is that TOG will be less administrative work while providing the structure

2. I own so many cores worth of books now, I really want to be albe to use what I have.

3. I really like some of the book selections for the upper SL cores and know the kids will want to read them.

I found someone near me that is going to let me borrow Y2 section 3 to compare to Core 3. Hopefully, this will help us decide what to do.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:lurk5:

Also wondering if melmichigan might jump in and let us know what she is doing with this now?

Maybe I will pm her.......

I'm working on a Y4 plan now. Here is a rough plan for the two units, emphasis on rough. That covers most of what is in the lower cores. I will go back through it this weekend and hopefully finish the year plan and spend a little more time with it, fingers crossed, as soon as I have time to finish my Latin homework. ;) I have to look through some of the other cores, I put a few books aside as we went along with that intention.

ETA: Some of the SL books fall into the TOG line up, most of the time I leave them to be addressed there, but not all of the time.

Edited by melmichigan

I'm working on a Y4 plan now. Here is a rough plan for the two units, emphasis on rough. That covers most of what is in the lower cores. I will go back through it this weekend and hopefully finish the year plan and spend a little more time with it, fingers crossed, as soon as I have time to finish my Latin homework. ;) I have to look through some of the other cores, I put a few books aside as we went along with that intention.

ETA: Some of the SL books fall into the TOG line up, most of the time I leave them to be addressed there, but not all of the time.

Thanks, Melissa! I will use your list.

I'm not sure if I should laugh about this or just feel completely embarrassed. You posted that on the thread that I started. And I even read your answer and posted after that. Well, I was in a bit of a fog then, endless coughing and vomiting from dc here. Not much sleep either.

Thank you again. I will reread and print it out.

• 5 months later...

Thank! Somehow I never saw this.