Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Week 40

Today is the start of book week 40 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 40 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

52 books blog - M is for Monsters: The MonsterMash. Remember that song. Fabulous computer generated video of the song.

It's Fall and October already. Where did September disappear too? And why do I feel like the time has changed already. I've been asked by a couple folks if I'm going to continue 52 books next year. How do you guys feel about it. You all want to give it another go?

What are you reading this week?

I finished reading Stray by Rachel Vincent and started reading Brenda Novak's White Heat yesterday. I'm also reading Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping kids cope with Explosive Feelings by Christine Fonseca. Christine will be dropping by my blog on the 6th plus I and numerous other folks will be reviewing the book on the 15th along with a giveaway. Be sure to check out the book. Very helpful.

Oh, "M is for Monsters" week is perfect for my current reading, lol! :lol: Whoo-hoo! I'm still working on Frankenstein and The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein, a fascinating biography. I'm enjoying both books & finding them great reads for October.

BTW, one of the books I finished in the last week or two was The Girl Who Played with Fire. If you have read any of this series, you will probably enjoy this amusing parody of Stieg Larsson's writing style. (Many thanks to Alice, who first pointed me to this link!) If you haven't read any of the books yet, you may want to wait as there are a couple references to things that happen in the plot.

And, yes, I'd love to continue the 52 books in 52 weeks next year too. THANK YOU, Robin, for so faithfully starting this thread each week. I really look forward to it & have gotten tons of great reading recommendations from everyone who posts in this thread. :thumbup1:

Books I've read in 2010: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; Good Omens; The Palace of Dreams; Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World; Lying Awake; The Remains of the Day; Iron & Silk; Lottery; The City of Dreaming Books; Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel; Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back; The Power of Less; Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life; The Bonesetter's Daughter; Life of Pi; Orphans Preferred: The Twisted Truth and Lasting Legend of the Pony Express; Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide; Waiting for Snow in Havana; The Happiness Project; Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable; The Dante Club; Conquering Chronic Disorganization; City of Thieves; Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life; Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen; Dead Until Dark; The Color of Magic; Fernande; Special Topics in Calamity Physics; Medicus; The Blind Contessa's New Machine; My Name is Red; The White Tiger; The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie; The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists; The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab; Parrot and Olivier in America; The Girl Who Played with Fire

I did some skimming in DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education by Anya Kamenetz. Interesting stuff; I particularly liked the resource section.

I read and enjoyed an anthology of paranormal romances: Burning Up by Angela Knight, Nalini Singh, Virginia Kantra, and Meljean Brook

I've now begun The Global Achievement Gap: Why Even Our Best Schools Don't Teach the New Survival Skills Our Children Need--and What We Can Do About It by Tony Wagner.

Regards,

Kareni

I started out wanting to do the 52 in 52 thing but I quickly stopped keeping track. But tonight I fished through my blog, my goodreads, my bookcase and my kindle and I put together all the books I've read and I'm at no. 41!!! Now there might some I have forgotten and I am not counting the ones I didn't finish, there are several of those. But anyway, now I am really psyched to get to 52 books before the New Year!

The book I just finished today is: The Real James Herriot; A Memoir of my Father by Jim Wight. Wight is not the writer his father was. He is a bit redundant and clunky in his writing style, but he's very thorough and obviously loved and admired his father immensely. And James Herriot's (Alf Wight) personality comes through clearly. I found it really interesting and heart-warming.

I finished Margery Kempe. Thank goodness. I, however, do not feel a surge of enlightenment by having read the book.

I put Twilight of American Culture to the side for now and started reading Raising a Sensory Smart Child. I am preparing for my ds's OT eval later this week.

I finished Margery Kempe. Thank goodness. I, however, do not feel a surge of enlightenment by having read the book.

:hurray:

Congratulations on your perseverance!

I read more last night, but I think it will be a few weeks before I am deserving of any clapping smilies.

Rosie

Prayers for Sale - liking it, but can't say that I'm absolutely loving it - books that go on and on about scenery, surroundings, or in this case, quilting as well - don't always hold my interest - plot and story are key for me. I just love a good story - story is king. :) Nonetheless, it is an enjoyable book and I am dying to know more of something she hasn't told us about yet. I like the protagonist.

Prayers_for_Sale-123971880382582.jpg

I just finished Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper. It was my #8 since I started keeping track in August. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was especially meaningful since we were good friends with a little girl who had cp and was brilliant.

I am currently enjoying Red Odyssey.

Oh, "M is for Monsters" week is perfect for my current reading, lol! :lol: Whoo-hoo! I'm still working on Frankenstein and The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein, a fascinating biography. I'm enjoying both books & finding them great reads for October.

I read Frankenstein last year - the story was totally different from what I expected. Going to try and read Dracula during October as well as Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Picture of Dorian Gray.

Anyway, I finished #38 The Passage by Justin Cronin.

I have The Passage, Just have to clear my slate to read it since it's so long.

I started out wanting to do the 52 in 52 thing but I quickly stopped keeping track. But tonight I fished through my blog, my goodreads, my bookcase and my kindle and I put together all the books I've read and I'm at no. 41!!! Now there might some I have forgotten and I am not counting the ones I didn't finish, there are several of those. But anyway, now I am really psyched to get to 52 books before the New Year!

Yeah! Glad to see you are right on track

I read Frankenstein last year - the story was totally different from what I expected. Going to try and read Dracula during October as well as Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Picture of Dorian Gray.

Yes, Frankenstein is turning out to be quite different than I thought it would be. (For one thing, Frankenstein the monster is extremely articulate! No grunting & moaning like a movie monster for this classic beast. LOL.) Reading the biography alongside it has provided some valuable insight too.

I read Dracula last October & really enjoyed it. As with Frankenstein, it was nice to finally read the story that started the whole trend, kwim?

I loved The Picture of Dorian Gray when I read it many years ago. Great book.

I may have to put Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on my list for next October.

I finished Frankenstein tonight. Ultimately, I found it a sad story rather than a horror story... a musing on the nature of man.

I'm still working on the biography The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein.

I also started another book tonight: Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void. So far, it is immensely interesting & entertaining.

"Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2010:

With her wry humor and inextinguishable curiosity, Mary Roach has crafted her own quirky niche in the somewhat staid world of science writing, showing no fear (or shame) in the face of cadavers, ectoplasm, or sex. In Packing for Mars, Roach tackles the strange science of space travel, and the psychology, technology, and politics that go into sending a crew into orbit. Roach is unfailingly inquisitive (Why is it impolite for astronauts to float upside down during conversations? Just how smelly does a spacecraft get after a two week mission?), and she eagerly seeks out the stories that don't make it onto NASA's website--from SPCA-certified space suits for chimps, to the trial-and-error approach to crafting menus during the space program's early years (when the chefs are former livestock veterinarians, taste isn't high on the priority list). Packing for Mars is a book for grownups who still secretly dream of being astronauts, and Roach lives it up on their behalf--weightless in a C-9 aircraft, she just can't resist the opportunity to go "Supermanning" around the cabin. Her zeal for discovery, combined with her love of the absurd, amazing, and stranger-than-fiction, make Packing for Mars an uproarious trip into the world of space travel."

continuing my dystopian literature jag...

This week I read Far North...LOVED IT!!! This was not just a novel...this was literature....beautifully written. Terribly sad and frustrating story line, but some of this authors prose made me want to stand up and cheer...THIS IS WHAT LITERATURE SOUNDS LIKE!! It was like music...

I also read Out on a Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis....It was Lewisey...LOL. I always have a hard time getting into his stories...but I am always glad I persisted and read the whole thing. This week I plan to read the rest of the trilogy...and then I think I may read some HG Wells....

Faithe

Today is the start of book week 40 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 40 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

52 books blog - M is for Monsters: The MonsterMash. Remember that song. Fabulous computer generated video of the song.

It's Fall and October already. Where did September disappear too? And why do I feel like the time has changed already. I've been asked by a couple folks if I'm going to continue 52 books next year. How do you guys feel about it. You all want to give it another go?

What are you reading this week?

:crying:

I NEVER get my 52 books in! Which is astounding to me because I'm always reading something!!!!

I would like to continue next year. If nothing else, it encourages me to broaden my horizons. I finally read Pride and Prejudice, and I've read some other books too! Maybe I'll catch up right before the end during the holidays. . .It could happen!!! :lol:

I'm reading, "Honey for a Child's Heart," and "On What Grounds" (a murder mystery set in a coffee shop)

Blessings!

Dorinda

31 books started

21 books finished!

Stacia, that book looks perfect for my dad.

As I'm reading it (Packing for Mars), I'm thinking something similar.... I think my dh, dad, & fil would all enjoy it (as well as some females I know too, lol).

Earlier today, I finished a read-aloud w/ my dc, The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen. We enjoyed it.

"Grade 5-10-- From deep in the cauldron of world story comes a rich fantasy about a young man's journey from innocence to experience. In China during the Tang Dynasty, young Prince Jen, heir to the Dragon Throne, sets off to find T'ien-kuo, or Heavenly Kingdom, the utopia described by a mysterious wandering scholar. Accompanied by a large retinue of soldiers and his practical, plain-spoken servant, the idealistic, sheltered prince bears six gifts for the ruler of T'ien-kuo. As his journey progresses, he loses everything: his retinue, his possessions, his identity, his illusions, his friends, until at last, in one of Alexander's most moving passages, he finds himself a common criminal, wandering the roads of his own kingdom, wearing the wooden collar of punishment. Although experience is a harsh teacher, Jen never loses his common humanity, nor his faith in the bondmaid he loves. Alexander borrows form and content from the popular novels of the Ming and Ch'ing Dynasties, particularly Shi Nai'an's Outlaws of the Marsh (China Bks., 1988), and is influenced, as are the Ming-Ch'ing novels, by the vernacular literature of the Sung Dynasty. Yet Jen's story transcends all boundaries, mixing Alexander's familiar cast--the impulsive, good-hearted boy; the clever, independent young woman; the assortment of eccentric, loyal companions--with flavors of European folklore; Hans Christian Andersen; admiring Chinoiserie, Buddhist and Taoist ideas; Arabian Nights extravagance. Alexander satisfies the taste for excitement, but his vivid characters and the food for thought he offers will nourish long after the last page is turned."

YA Books I've read in 2010 (read-alouds): The Anybodies; The Wee Free Men; The Nobodies; Something Wickedly Weird: The Wooden Mile; Zorgamazoo; A Hat Full of Sky; Where the Mountain Meets the Moon; Children of the Lamp: The Akhenaten Adventure; Alice's Adventures Under Ground; The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen