Menu

Free garage "sale"--need catchy title

I am going to be in charge of a free garage sale at church. Basically this will look like an indoor community garage sale but everything will be FREE.

People from church (and outside if they want) will donate their garage sale type items---clothing, household goods, tools, sports stuff, books, toys, electronics, etc.----basically anything you would find at a typical garage sale.

Then we will sort it on tables into various sizes, types of items, etc. Then on a Saturday morning we will open up the church gym for people in the community to come and "shop" for FREE. Towards the end of the time, people from church wil be able to come and shop as well. Then at the end of the day a local charity will come and pick up everything left.

Now I need a catchy title to let people know what this is. Since this is a community outreach we want the free part to be made very clear.

I am open to any other hints and ideas as well. I am hoping to do this the last Saturday or Oct. or 1st Sat. in Nov.

Any catchy ideas? If it helps our church is in Robinson and has that along with the denomination as our name.

Rummage Give!

I'm glad the free 'sale' is going to work! We had great fun when our church did one!

Like I posted before...we found it was worth the time to be very, very organized. It gave the 'give' a festive feel and took away feeling like digging through the trash. We had lots of volunteers helping 'shoppers' find things and keeping things sorted all day. We also had clear signs for the various categories.

Again, as posted before, we had a plan for dealing with crowd control at the opening of the 'give'. We also decided on a policy ahead of time for people who wanted a larger item but couldn't pick it up until later.

It sounds like everyone is on board...this is important. Our team was really happy and excited to be involved in the 'give'. If there are any attitudes like 'how do we know they really are just taking what they need?'...nip those in the bud. People will be astounded and blessed to receive!

I've got to run but if I think of anything else I'll post again!

We called ours a swap. We had everyone bring their stuff and allowed those who brought things to come and pick out items first. The next day we allowed the community to come in and take whatever they wanted. We've done it three times now and have been very successful. We always had people who would ask if they could give something so we told everyone to make a donation to their favorite charity. We did find that having lots of volunteers to help people with their shopping was really important.

Towards the end of the time, people from church wil be able to come and shop as well.

I understand that you're doing this as a community outreach, but I think this idea from LibrarianMom is fair.

We had everyone bring their stuff and allowed those who brought things to come and pick out items first.

There may be someone in the church who is able to donate something, but at the same time has a need for something else.