Menu

Homeschooling in Washington State

Paige

We unexpectedly may be moving to Washington State next year. I was looking on the HSLDA page and the legal requirements are confusing me, coming from a low regulation state. Am I correct that people with college degrees only need to give the state a declaration of intent and do annual testing? Do I need to send them my college transcript to prove it or do they take my word? I don't want to have to prove to a superintendent that I am competent and I am not so sure about working with a private school. Around here, those options are fairly expensive and we have to follow their curriculum.

I am a little overwhelmed with the idea of moving there because it is on the other side of the country from us.

We moved to Washington from a no-regulation state two years ago. I also was a little worried about all the rules, but it hasn't been a problem at all. You just to indicate on your letter of intent (there's a spot for it on the form) that you're qualified under state law to homeschool. That's all the proof they need. In addition, the testing or assessment is for your own records and doesn't have to be submitted to anyone. It can be asked for if you later enroll your child in public school. But it's certainly not a big deal, even in comparison to other states I've lived in.

Yep, it's easy. They take your word for it, you just indicate it on your intent form that you are qualified to homeschool. Just in case anyone else reads this thread that is moving and doesn't have any/enough college then all you have to do is take a homeschooling qualifying course. Which is also very easy, just a day or two and you check the same box (that your qualified to homeschool). :)

You don't have to do anything until the child is 8 years old. Then, you will have to be "qualified" by either enough college credits, taking a parent qualification course or being deemed competent by the superintendent. I'm going with the parent qualifying course when my dd reaches 8yrs old. All you do is listen to audio, turn it in and get your certificate. (cost is about $150) Or you can spend a whole day at one of the seminars. Either way - its easy to be "certified".

On the declaration of intent form - which is only required for those 8yrs and above - you simply check the box that you are "qualified". By law, they can't ask how you are qualified and you don't have to show proof, you simply check the box.

From 8yrs old and above, each year you must administer one of the approved achievement tests - only you and the company see the results and by law the state can not ask you if you took it or even see the child's score.

Hi there! Whereabouts in WA are you moving? West coast, Eastern side, central...?

I'm in Central WA. I'm very new to homeschooling, but I've talked to a lot of homeschooling families as well as teachers at the boys' homeschool program they attend and here's what I've heard -

To be declared a full time homeschooler you have to either take a homeschooling course (which is pretty easy to find, you can even do it online. There is a group that travels through here every so often to give these classes too...usually its one intensive weekend if doing it in person. Or a bit longer if doing it online) OR have 45 credits OR be supervised by a certified teacher.

That said, you don't have to really report to anyone. My SIL homeschools full time and she doesn't have the 45 credits, didn't take a homeschooling course, and doesn't do any of the yearly tests? Her oldest is 10 I think?

HTH!

Thanks. We would be moving to the west coast. We won't know for at least a few weeks if we're moving and depending on the timing I might stay here with the kids for a while first. I feel better about Washington as a choice than I did this afternoon. It seems like a really nice area and I have always wanted to live at the beach. Of course, my hypothetical beach was warm with white sands...

Go to the WHO website:

http://www.washhomeschool.org/homeschooling/declaration.html

click on the pdf form at the top, and just fill it out. Check the box. Hubby took mine in and asked for a letter stating they'd gotten it. I use this letter to get teacher discounts at Half-Price Books, etc.

They require yearly testing after age 7, but you don't have to turn it into anyone. People here have noted that even when they enrolled in school, the school didn't ask for the tests. If I didn't have the money, I'd even skip them. They are not going to handcuff you over it...what is done is done.

There are certain "required" subjects, and these are all very reasonable (see info at the WHO site), and no "time amount" on these subjects are given. We have done no bookwork on WA history....just field trips. No one will smite us over this.

Welcome. It is an interesting state. And cherish the weather. Without rain, half of CA would move up here. Every rain drop is one less Californian crowding in. You are welcome to PM me (I'm a "wet-sider") if you have any questions.