Menu

What is a Smartboard?

mo2

Guest mrsjamiesouth

A friend of mine bought one. It is one of those pull-down projection screens with a projector that is hooked up to your CPU. The screen has to be on a white wall. You can touch the screen like the Ipad or the Itouch phones. It has lots of educational games and tools.

A friend of mine bought one. It is one of those pull-down projection screens with a projector that is hooked up to your CPU. The screen has to be on a white wall. You can touch the screen like the Ipad or the Itouch phones. It has lots of educational games and tools.

Those that are installed in my son's HS classrooms are white boards with the same projection and touch features you mentioned.

Yep, like Crissy said. Have to admit, they are pretty neat. The teacher can write on them, then circle her writing and move it over. She can show downloaded content from the web (like Discovery Streaming videos). She can change the colors of her writing to highlight different words, type on her computer and have it immediately on the board, roll 3 D dice on it for games, and much more. The kids love to use it, too.

White boards are the new *in* technology in classrooms. Many schools are putting them in all the calssrooms. There are lots of cool things that they can do, like store the image drawn on the board to the computer. They are very interactive.

My only gripe is that a classroom can be outfitted with a sound field (SF) amplification system for much less cost (both in equipment and teacher training). There are numerous studies showing how SF helps improve test scores, lower special ed referrals, and improves student behaviors. SF benefits all students but especially those with mild LD's (especially ADHD), mild hearing loss, and English Language Learners. But instead of using those technology dollars for SF systems, all the schools are jumping on the White Board bandwagon because they are "just so cool". :tongue_smilie:

Now if a classroom already had SF, I am all for adding a White Board.

White boards are the new *in* technology in classrooms. Many schools are putting them in all the calssrooms. There are lots of cool things that they can do, like store the image drawn on the board to the computer. They are very interactive.

My only gripe is that a classroom can be outfitted with a sound field (SF) amplification system for much less cost (both in equipment and teacher training). There are numerous studies showing how SF helps improve test scores, lower special ed referrals, and improves student behaviors. SF benefits all students but especially those with mild LD's (especially ADHD), mild hearing loss, and English Language Learners. But instead of using those technology dollars for SF systems, all the schools are jumping on the White Board bandwagon because they are "just so cool". :tongue_smilie:

Now if a classroom already had SF, I am all for adding a White Board.

I'd like to know more about sound field amplification, any ideas on where to look?

Our school added Smart Boards to all the classes this year thanks to Booster Club donations from parents. This year my wife is the Booster Club president (and I'm the First Dude :D) so if there is a technology that can help students learn in the class-room I'm all ears :bigear:

Bill

I'd like to know more about sound field amplification, any ideas on where to look?

Our school added Smart Boards to all the classes this year thanks to Booster Club donations from parents. This year my wife is the Booster Club president (and I'm the First Dude :D) so if there is a technology that can help students learn in the class-room I'm all ears :bigear:

Bill

I am running out to soccer practice but here are a few links with more info:

The Institute for Enhanced Classroom Hearing

Interview with Carol Flexer, Au.D.

Phonic Ear

Lightspeed

Also, The national PTA organization made Soundfield amplification one of their key initiatives either last year or the year before (can't remember which). I will try to find the info on that later tonight.

BTW, I have heard Carol Flexer speak and she is inspiring when it comes to soundfield, passionate is an understatement. She actually says in her presentations that soundfield in the elementary classroom is just as important as lights, she feels that strongly about it.

I am running out to soccer practice but here are a few links with more info:

The Institute for Enhanced Classroom Hearing

Interview with Carol Flexer, Au.D.

Phonic Ear

Lightspeed

Also, The national PTA organization made Soundfield amplification one of their key initiatives either last year or the year before (can't remember which). I will try to find the info on that later tonight.

BTW, I have heard Carol Flexer speak and she is inspiring when it comes to soundfield, passionate is an understatement. She actually says in her presentations that soundfield in the elementary classroom is just as important as lights, she feels that strongly about it.

Thank you. I've already started making some calls and doing some preliminary research, as this strikes me as a good idea. I will check out these links. If you have more later feel free to PM me. This is something I may be able to help make happen. Thank you for enlightening me!

Bill