Menu

I can't believe it, but I need help with LA

Jen in PA

We started MCT (Island level) in the spring, and I instantly loved it. DD did very well with it. We took a break from all but Practice Island over the summer, then started back with the other books in August. We will be totally done by mid-October. I have added in my own spelling, Editor in Chief, and assigned novels/book discussions. I was planning to start Town level as soon as we wrapped up Island but..... DD really wants to switch over to something she can do independently, and I just don't see Town fitting in with that plan.

She has been gradually shifting to independent work, and aside from MCT, science experiments and read-alouds are basically all that she does with me. I sort of miss the snuggling on the couch aspect of schooling now that it's so rare, but I am really amazed by how well she is doing on her own -- she gets up and gets started with school without prompting, and has been moving through everything at a much faster pace than I had originally scheduled. She seems to enjoy being "responsible" for getting her work done, which is a non-academic aspect of schooling that I had never even considered until recently.

So what are my options for workbooky/independent LA programs that are good for a student who does not need a lot of repetition?

So you're looking for grammar? Grammar and vocabulary? Grammar, vocabulary, and poetry?

An independent (mostly) grammar workbook that I've used with both of mine is Calvert's 5th grade grammar program. It's written directly to the student, is frequently self-correcting, and while there's built-in review, it clips along... It's also one of the few things you can by separately from Calvert, without buying their whole grade-level program.

For vocabulary, I think Wordly Wise is pretty good, and it's certainly possible to do it mostly independently. You'll have to look at samples to try to figure out the best placement for her.

Poetry would be tougher to do alone, but I would consider using Poetry Primer from Logos School.

Yes, I guess I wasn't clear about specifics on what I am looking for.:001_smile: Grammar (though I think she got a very nice foundation from MCT), vocabulary (and if this can double as spelling that's a plus), and writing. Secular materials strongly preferred. I am enjoying handling the lit selections separately, but if there's a great program that includes reading I could always just choose what parts I wanted to use. She loves poetry in terms of appreciation for it, but has not cared for many of the writing prompts in MoTH. She has really struggled with writing until recently, simply because her motor skills hadn't caught up to her academic level (she's a young 7), but she has been improving steadily in that department over the past few months and I think that newfound stamina for the physical act of writing is part of why she suddenly feels like she wants to do things on her own.

I am mostly stunned because I really envisioned us continuing straight through with MCT, and I guess all I can do now is wait to see if it's a better fit for DS.

When my dd was 7 we used Growing with Grammar and MCP Word Study. Actually, those are what we ditched when we started MCT, because I thought they were too independent and workbook-y. Sometimes it was too much writing for my dd, and then I just let her do half of the assignment.

So you're looking for grammar? Grammar and vocabulary? Grammar, vocabulary, and poetry?

An independent (mostly) grammar workbook that I've used with both of mine is Calvert's 5th grade grammar program. It's written directly to the student, is frequently self-correcting, and while there's built-in review, it clips along... It's also one of the few things you can by separately from Calvert, without buying their whole grade-level program.

For vocabulary, I think Wordly Wise is pretty good, and it's certainly possible to do it mostly independently. You'll have to look at samples to try to figure out the best placement for her.

Poetry would be tougher to do alone, but I would consider using Poetry Primer from Logos School.

Thanks for the suggestion. We used Calvert for spelling last year and DD actually really enjoyed it, so I will definitely check out their grammar program.

When my dd was 7 we used Growing with Grammar and MCP Word Study. Actually, those are what we ditched when we started MCT, because I thought they were too independent and workbook-y. Sometimes it was too much writing for my dd, and then I just let her do half of the assignment.

Thanks for the suggestions. DD is definitely the workbook type, which is not at all what I expected I would be dealing with at this point.

She has really struggled with writing until recently, simply because her motor skills hadn't caught up to her academic level (she's a young 7), but she has been improving steadily in that department over the past few months and I think that newfound stamina for the physical act of writing is part of why she suddenly feels like she wants to do things on her own.

:confused: Are you looking for a writing program for her to use independently or simply workbooks that she can physically write in for grammar, vocab, etc?

:confused: Are you looking for a writing program for her to use independently or simply workbooks that she can physically write in for grammar, vocab, etc?

Both.:001_smile: The writing program really doesn't have to be independent as far as I am concerned, but she has such a strong preference for things she can work on independently that it would be a huge plus. I am confident that there are some great independent grammar and vocab programs out there, I just figured someone here would have some good tips. DD doesn't need much repetition and I didn't want to buy anything that would be more busywork than introduction of new material.

Thanks for the suggestions. DD is definitely the workbook type, which is not at all what I expected I would be dealing with at this point.

Just because your child is the "workbook type" doesn't mean that she has to fill in workbooks for everything. Sometimes kids like workbooks because they allow them to find a pattern and then apply it over and over. This is the workbook equivalent of not thinking.

If you still want to cuddle on the couch and have a conversation about academics, then that is what you should be doing. MCT is fabulous for facilitating this, but any good program on a challenge level for a child should be able to provide this.

A kid who just cranks through workbooks is very likely not working at a level that is challenging him/her. Challenge usually requires some conversation.

I can't imagine a writing program worth any value that is independent for a 7 yo. Fine tuning techinque on a late high school/college level....maybe (and even then that is a big maybe). Writing is one of those subjects that IMHO requires direct interaction.

I am completely hands on when it comes to writing instruction and for revising/editing.

FWIW I really don't give my kids a whole lot of room to dictate what they will and won't do when it comes to their education until they are a lot older. We do interest driven studies......but assignments and approach are authoritative in nature.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm certainly not planning to turn dd's school days into hours of fill-in-the-blank, but I am looking for things that she can work at on her own, at her own pace. A good example of how I'm handling this so far is happening with our history. I'll introduce a topic, then present her with the reading selections we are going to cover, hands-on materials (she loves History Pockets), and any website links, dvds, etc. I check in with her daily on what portion of it she worked on, ask questions to check for comprehension, and determine when she is ready to move on to the next topic/period. Science is going the same way -- she does the reading, we do the experiments, she fills out the lab report pages. Math she does very independently, and since I started loosening the reigns and letting her do more of the pace-setting she has ended up far ahead of what I had planned for the fall (and she is making far fewer errors!). Same with Latin. I am very comfortable letting her make some of the decisions on how she will study, since I make 95% of the decisions on what she will study. I am really not looking for the sort of workbook that lets her mindlessly regurgitate the same material repeatedly just so we can check a box saying the material was covered -- that's actually why I asked on this board as opposed to the curriculum board. I figured I can't be the only one with an accelerated learner with a strong preference for independent work. :D

You might check into the Imitations in Writing series from Logos Press then (I mentioned their Poetry Primer book earlier, when I thought you might be looking for something to use in lieu of MCT's poetry books). While I absolutely agree that a 7yo can't "do writing" independently, it may be that there are enough aspects of Imitations that she can do on her own before returning to you to discuss and edit her work, that that would be useful to you. The first book in the series is Aesop's Fables.

You might check into the Imitations in Writing series from Logos Press then (I mentioned their Poetry Primer book earlier, when I thought you might be looking for something to use in lieu of MCT's poetry books). While I absolutely agree that a 7yo can't "do writing" independently, it may be that there are enough aspects of Imitations that she can do on her own before returning to you to discuss and edit her work, that that would be useful to you. The first book in the series is Aesop's Fables.

Thanks. :001_smile: She certainly isn't ready to do writing from start to finish on her own, but I love the idea of something that allows her to get the ball rolling on her own, then confer with me as the process goes on. This looks great -- she is taking a fairy tales/creative writing class right now, and the Greek myths and heroes stuff is right up her alley!

... and the Greek myths and heroes stuff is right up her alley!

The Greek Myths level is a *significant* step up from the Aesop's Fables level. Definitely take a look at all of the sample material at logospressonline.com before you consider ordering anything past the Aesop level.

The Greek Myths level is a *significant* step up from the Aesop's Fables level. Definitely take a look at all of the sample material at logospressonline.com before you consider ordering anything past the Aesop level.

Looking now, and I see what you mean. All of the levels look pretty interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, Rod & Staff English is a nice, solid program and can be done very independently. Oh, how I hate to suggest it coming from MCT. . . but, it did get the job done for us before we discovered MCT. . .

I'd imagine you'd start at perhaps R&S 4 coming from Island.

It won't cover poetry, but could you just use the MCT poetry book?

It won't cover vocab either, but she could do CE1 independently if she is really able to handle that. . . Vocab from Classical Roots is more workbooky; I have it on my shelf but haven't used it yet. I'd imagine it would lend itself to independent working more readily than CE1 if CE1 seems to much for her to handle independently yet.

Oh, another thought. Have you looked at Galore Park's materials? We have used their Latin, Spanish, & Science so far and have been very pleased. They lend themselves quite easily to independent work!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! We borrowed Voyages in English to take a look, and she seems interested, and I am satisfied with it, so I might have writing and grammar covered. I hadn't really considered it before, but now that I have seen it it seems like a very good fit. I am going to have to track down the R&S materials to take a look at those. But I hadn't thought about Galore Park, so I have more exploring to do! I am torn between continuing with MCT for vocab, since I have heard such great things about CE. Building Language was really not enough challenge for her, but I understand that CE is quite a step up, so it is a strong possibility. I might even go ahead and design something on my own for vocab combining what she's working on in Latin with what I assign her for lit studies.

Poetics is also up in the air. We could continue with MCT, or I could just add in a poetics component to what we are doing for lit. She has always liked poetry (and it's something I feel very comfortable teaching), so I suppose a formal program isn't necessary there so much, and it's something she really enjoys doing as a family and probably wouldn't care to do independently in any event. I just appreciate the fact that the MCT poetics books are some of the nicest textbooks on the topic that I have ever seen, so they are very, very tempting.

Thanks again for all of the great ideas -- I have a lot of options to consider now.