Menu

What to use after Singapore 6??

Virginia Heather

I'd *love* to hear what's working for everyone! Right now I'm considering Lial's BCM... or would that text be unnecessary after 6b? The NEM series does not interest me; any other suggestions? And thanks!

I have twins who finished up 6b last year.

The one stronger in math I put in Singapore Discovering Mathematics (still challenging but a bit more friendly than NEM). Next year I plan to put her in either Foerster's or AoPS Algebra I.

The one who struggled a bit last year I put in Lial's BCM. If your child did well with 6b, this may be too much basic review, but it also covers everything for Pre-Alg (including some concepts Singapore doesn't cover). I'm planning to go on to Lial's Algebra I with her next year if it goes well this year.

We just started school a week ago - you'll have to ask again a bit later to really hear how things are going...

My oldest went to ps after 6B and did prealgebra there. It did cover a lot of material that wasn't in Singapore: probability, graphing, stem-leaf plots, and other stuff.

My middle dd just did a one-month trial of aleks (hated it) and worked through Math Smart Junior. Then she jumped to Algebra. She thought Jacobs looked intimidating, but liked the looks of Kinetic Books Algebra I. She wasn't sure she liked the immediate feedback feature though. She ended up using both Jacobs and KB for all of 7th grade and then dropped Jacobs and used just KB Algebra I for 8th grade. She used Jacobs Geometry for 9th grade and is using Kinetic Books Algebra II this year for 10th grade.

I'd *love* to hear what's working for everyone! Right now I'm considering Lial's BCM... or would that text be unnecessary after 6b? The NEM series does not interest me; any other suggestions? And thanks!

My guys finish Singapore 6B at the end of 5th grade, and I prefer that they not move on to algebra at that stage. They use Lial's BCM followed by Lial's Intro to Algebra.

My son finished 6B last spring. I looked at LOTS of curriculum. I have Lial's BCM, but seemed like too slow paced and too much review for my particular kid. My son balked at the format of LOF Algebra. LOVE AoPS, but didn't seem quite ready. So we have Singapore NEM 1 (after thinking I'd never use it), and I'm considering moving to AoPS afterwards. My son really likes Singapore's format and NEM is a good and rigorous curriculum, so we'll see.

My guys finish Singapore 6B at the end of 5th grade, and I prefer that they not move on to algebra at that stage. They use Lial's BCM followed by Lial's Intro to Algebra.

While I was first going to say that I think BCM is probably too easy, I also agree that it might depend on how old they are.

For the most part though I would say after 6B they are past BCM and ready for Algebra (or maybe a prealgebra course if you want to strech things out).