Menu

Getting braces when you are over 40?

Well, technically I won't be 40 for a couple of weeks, but still, getting braces at my age :001_huh:

My dentist thinks I would really benefit from having them. I just can't think it would be worth all the trouble. So, if you have had braces as an adult, is it worth the trouble. I can't help but to feel like I will transported back to middle school, and I HATED middle school.

Krista

I got mine when I was 40. I never thought I'd get braces, but I actually needed them. I went in thinking it was a cosmetic thing (and wanting those invisililign things) but came out with full blown metal mouth. Yeah, it was a pain, but I am extremely happy with the results. I only had to have them on for about 16 months and it went by pretty quick.

My mom did it in her 40s. I am confident saying she is very glad she did. Her teeth were very crowded. She is in her 70s now, so has had 30 years or so to enjoy the benefits of straighter teeth . . and hoping for many more years to come. IMHO, just the cosmetic improvement would have been worth the cost. The medical/dental benefits are bonuses, LOL.

Do it!

I had braces before 40 (at 35-36), but it was absolutely worth it. I resisted for a number of years because I wasn't willing to pay that much money for cosmetic reasons.

When my dentist told me I was losing bone mass in my jaw because of my particular issue, I was convinced that my appearance wasn't the issue.

I am so glad I did it. My mouth is so much healthier, and (bonus!) I like the look of my smile so much better.

The braces may make you feel like you are back in middle school but the bill for them will definitely remind you that you are an adult.:lol:

I asked my dentist why I should have them for my kids other than cosmetic reasons and he told me that having straight teeth helps you keep them as you age. If your bite is off, you have a better chance of losing your teeth.

Good luck with your decision. I know it will probably be a tough one.

I had braces before 40 (at 35-36), but it was absolutely worth it. I resisted for a number of years because I wasn't willing to pay that much money for cosmetic reasons.

When my dentist told me I was losing bone mass in my jaw because of my particular issue, I was convinced that my appearance wasn't the issue.

I am so glad I did it. My mouth is so much healthier, and (bonus!) I like the look of my smile so much better.

Agree! You can't go wrong. You will likely not regret it. A nice smile is worth a lot - in more than one way. ;)

Well, I guess if I decide to go ahead with it, I will know I am not alone! My bite is off, and my palette is not right. How much do braces cost now? I looked it up, and my insurance will pay the first $1500. I wonder if I could get my parents to pay for it since they were the ones that let me suck my thumb for apparently too long, and should have taken care of the braces at a more appropriate age :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the replies!

Krista

Well, I guess if I decide to go ahead with it, I will know I am not alone! My bite is off, and my palette is not right. How much do braces cost now? I looked it up, and my insurance will pay the first $1500. I wonder if I could get my parents to pay for it since they were the ones that let me suck my thumb for apparently too long, and should have taken care of the braces at a more appropriate age :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the replies!

Krista

The cost will vary greatly depending on the cost of living where you live, the type of braces, the amount of time you'll have them on, etc. Our 13 year old is just finishing up with her braces. She had them on for 20 months and had relatively minor orthodontic issues. The cost was $5800.

My mom did this in the 1980's! Yep, the metal mouth thing, too. She only did it on the bottom teeth because she didn't want the braces to show so much. Her only regret is not doing the top teeth, too. She says she is SO pleased with how her teeth turned out. She's now 75 and has lovely teeth (at least on the bottom) and her gums are healthy. If you can afford it, it is worth it!!

I had them in my mid twenties and it was well worth it. I'd do it again in an instant. I had white ones on the top and regular metal ones on the bottom - they were largely invisible anyway because the lower lip covers them.

I was astonished at the positive response I got. Most people were (a) supportive and (b) surprisingly curious because *so* many had also considered it was adults!

Min

My youngest is in braces right now. She absolutely needs them. She may end up with orthognathic surgery to reset her jaw as well. Our insurance will only pay for $1500 of the $5300 total cost.

My oldest has perfect teeth.

My middle has a little bit of crowding on the bottom only and it doesn't affect her bite. The dentist said that we could do braces, but he wouldn't actually recommend them for her because the amount of crowding she has is what people usually end up with several years after the braces come off.

I was in braces for two years and my teeth stayed where the braces put them. I had a pretty awful overbite. My youngest had a crossbite (but the braces have already corrected that issue) and major crowding. She may still end up with two adult teeth pulled, but the other orthos we visited all insisted that at least 4 adult teeth would have to come out.