Menu

Children's book series recommendation

JWSJ

Hello,

My son is finishing the Harry Potter series. He has finished the Percy Jackson series and most Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew books. He reads most of the Newberry books and their sequels.

Are there any other series recommended for the same age range?

Thanks!

The new movie coming out, Legends of the Guardians, is a series.

The movie alone is based on the first three books. I am not sure how many are in the series.

A 10- just turned 11-year-old boy that I watch loved the books.

ETA: The series is called, Guardians of Ga’Hoole and it has fifteen books total.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_Ga'Hoole

Cornelia Funke's books--they are dense, full of wonderful language, and fantasy-based. Inkheart series was a fav of dd's.

Artemis Fowl has about 4 or 5 books. He's a "bad" good guy.

Sisters Grimm, also fantasy, is very good--pretty easy to read, funny, has mystery/danger element (premise is that the Grimm brothers were writing about real events, not fairytales). I think there are 6 or 7 in the series. I consider these candy, but good candy.

My ds 11 reads the Cat Warrior series by Erin Hunter ( there are 3 or 4 sets in the series, each 5-6 books) he has been into them for about a year, and loves them.

We have also read Dragon Chronicles by Susan Fletcher, I read these first and really liked them myself! (there is only 3 in this series, but a forth is due out soon.

My dd recently got hooked on the Sisters Grimm books by Michael Buckley and convinced her older brother to give them a try. There was some sibling strife over the most recent book, 'cause they both wanted to read it immediately after we bought it. ;) So, that series features girls, but within a few chapters even ds was hooked. It does with Grimm's fairy tales something similar to what PJ does with Greek myths, though with a little more mixing up along the way.

Ds has also loved the Alex Rider novels by Anthony Horowitz. These don't have the fantasy element of the others, but are more action-adventure oriented. Alex is a 14yo spy for MI-6 (the British equivalent, more or less, of the CIA). I think ds was about 9 when he started them, but be aware that there are references to drug use (never in a positive way, and not in detail), and some very mild romance (nothing in the books that I pre-read that surpassed that in the later HP books). There's a bit of violence, but Alex doesn't use guns -- he is provided with various creative gadgets. Think James Bond for pre-teens.

If your ds has never read The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper, it's fantastic. It's a little slower and more mature in terms of the writing than HP and PJ, so it may take him a little longer to get into them. But they're wonderful.

Of course, there's always The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books by Tolkien. The Hobbit is very readable by a 9yo who has read HP and PJ, though the Lord of the Rings books are a bit more challenging. (And there are a few spots where I, personally, find them interminable, despite my love for the series overall.)

And the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander.

I recently picked up The Underland Chronicles (starts with Gregor the Overlander) for ds, but he hasn't read them yet...

Oooh, and I'll second the Swallows and Amazons series. My brother and I used to fight (sometimes physically) over those. ;)

And, of course, if he hasn't read The Chronicles of Narnia, those are not to be missed! :)

My dd recently got hooked on the Sisters Grimm books by Michael Buckley and convinced her older brother to give them a try. There was some sibling strife over the most recent book, 'cause they both wanted to read it immediately after we bought it. ;) So, that series features girls, but within a few chapters even ds was hooked. It does with Grimm's fairy tales something similar to what PJ does with Greek myths, though with a little more mixing up along the way....

If your ds has never read The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper, it's fantastic. It's a little slower and more mature in terms of the writing than HP and PJ, so it may take him a little longer to get into them. But they're wonderful.

Of course, there's always The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books by Tolkien. The Hobbit is very readable by a 9yo who has read HP and PJ, though the Lord of the Rings books are a bit more challenging. (And there are a few spots where I, personally, find them interminable, despite my love for the series overall.)

And the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander....

And, of course, if he hasn't read The Chronicles of Narnia, those are not to be missed! :)

I agree with all of the above. Also, has he read the 39 Clues books yet? My DD is devouring those right now.

We love:

Lloyd Alexander

Arthur Ransome -Swallows and Amazons

Susan Cooper

Chronicles of Narnia

I think not mentioned yet:

Redwall (at least 12 in the series)

100 Cupboards (3 in series)

G.H. Henty

LOTR when he's ready. It's a jump up in literary level from all these previously mentioned.