Menu

Well I'm returning Science Excursion, now what...

Heather in VA

It took a month to get here and I just don't really like it. I don't dislike it so much that if it wasn't so expensive I'd probably muddle through it but because it was expensive, I'm going to send it back.

So now what. My daughter is only in 2nd grade but she's a huge science fan. She's read just about every Usborne book and science encyclopedia we have on the shelf and I'd really like to do something of substance with her. I just don't know what - which is how I ended up with SE in the first place. I looked for a while at Real Science Odyssey but the supply list is extreme. I thought about the Apologia books but I can't tell if its more than just studying animals - although they have the Astronomy book. The Anatomy book seems geared for higher level. Are there activities in these books? I've never done that well with the Charlotte Mason journaling stuff.

Other ideas?

Heather

I would just do Science the WTM way. All Science curricula have ruined the fun for us. We have come to the conclusion that we will not use a formal textbook until highschool at which point I will send the kids to community college classes. My dss (11 and 9) also love Science. We generally use the "How it works" series to follow some sort of sequence. This we do some writing, drawing, etc. about. On top of this we read "The Story of Science", work through tons of Science kits, go on nature walk and fieldtrips, watch documentaries and lectures, etc just for fun. FWIW, my ds 11 had to do Science test at the end of 5th grade and scored 100% in almost all categories. On the other hand, Math ( were we do use a curriculum) was not good at all. We are creating a scientist who doesn't use math. :confused:

Susie

Hmmm.....interesting. Can you pinpoint any of the reasons you don't seem to like it? Is this the Beginning, for 1st - 3rd? I have the K (which is not very substantial....but it's ok along with McRuffy) and we have the Intermediate (which is pretty jammed packed with stuff, I think). I was considering the

Beginning level when we start first grade...so I'd be interested in what you don't seem to like about it.....'cause I agree....it is a lot of $$.

Have you looked at Elemental Science? It seems pretty popular here.

Hmmm.....interesting. Can you pinpoint any of the reasons you don't seem to like it? Is this the Beginning, for 1st - 3rd? I have the K (which is not very substantial....but it's ok along with McRuffy) and we have the Intermediate (which is pretty jammed packed with stuff, I think). I was considering the

Beginning level when we start first grade...so I'd be interested in what you don't seem to like about it.....'cause I agree....it is a lot of $$.

Have you looked at Elemental Science? It seems pretty popular here.

Yes this is the Beginner level. I'll explain what I'm seeing and maybe you can tell me if I'm being too picky. This morning I'm waffling on sending it back mostly because I'm not sure what else I'll do.

Some of the lessons are good. But overwhelmingly it seems clear that she isn't able to write at a target age. Too many lessons would require me to just teach it again because the author can't judge properly what a 2nd grader can understand and what they can't. You can't teach a 2nd grader about how the earth's rotation affects the seasons and yet assume they know what a northern hemisphere is. She teaches children about the things that make an animal a fish but uses the word 'characteristics' several times without defining it. And then there are a few activities that seem silly - like labeling different kind of space debris when the pictures are just pencil sketches. I don't think I'll even be able to tell the difference. If it was just that last one I'd be ok with it though. It's mostly that the lessons seem miswritten for the target age. The material is good and appropriate - it's just not presented in an accessible way. I guess I just need to decide if I am willing to rework the lessons myself.

Heather

It isn't awful - really

I would just do Science the WTM way. All Science curricula have ruined the fun for us. We have come to the conclusion that we will not use a formal textbook until highschool at which point I will send the kids to community college classes. My dss (11 and 9) also love Science. We generally use the "How it works" series to follow some sort of sequence. This we do some writing, drawing, etc. about. On top of this we read "The Story of Science", work through tons of Science kits, go on nature walk and fieldtrips, watch documentaries and lectures, etc just for fun.

Susie

:iagree:

Since your child is only in second grade, wouldn't you want to capture that feeling of awe that kids have about science? These suggestions would truly help that along. For that age, why not use the Magic School Bus series as a spine, then pursue rabbit trails by adding in experiments? Easy and cheap, too!

I would just do Science the WTM way. All Science curricula have ruined the fun for us. We have come to the conclusion that we will not use a formal textbook until highschool at which point I will send the kids to community college classes. My dss (11 and 9) also love Science. We generally use the "How it works" series to follow some sort of sequence. This we do some writing, drawing, etc. about. On top of this we read "The Story of Science", work through tons of Science kits, go on nature walk and fieldtrips, watch documentaries and lectures, etc just for fun. FWIW, my ds 11 had to do Science test at the end of 5th grade and scored 100% in almost all categories. On the other hand, Math ( were we do use a curriculum) was not good at all. We are creating a scientist who doesn't use math. :confused:

Susie

Thank you for sharing this. I found it really encouraging.

It took a month to get here and I just don't really like it. I don't dislike it so much that if it wasn't so expensive I'd probably muddle through it but because it was expensive, I'm going to send it back.

So now what. My daughter is only in 2nd grade but she's a huge science fan. She's read just about every Usborne book and science encyclopedia we have on the shelf and I'd really like to do something of substance with her. I just don't know what - which is how I ended up with SE in the first place. I looked for a while at Real Science Odyssey but the supply list is extreme. I thought about the Apologia books but I can't tell if its more than just studying animals - although they have the Astronomy book. The Anatomy book seems geared for higher level. Are there activities in these books? I've never done that well with the Charlotte Mason journaling stuff.

Other ideas?

Heather

If she wants to explore anatomy you can look here. I put together an in depth study on anatomy, cells, and genetics for my boys this year. I am doing it for two different levels. One level is pretty much 1st-3rd grade level and is designed for a child that loves art and experiments. The other level uses an adult level Usborne style book as a spine and goes into lots of information as well as plenty of experiments, DVDs, and activities. Maybe you can find something you can use.

Yes this is the Beginner level. I'll explain what I'm seeing and maybe you can tell me if I'm being too picky. This morning I'm waffling on sending it back mostly because I'm not sure what else I'll do.

Some of the lessons are good. But overwhelmingly it seems clear that she isn't able to write at a target age. Too many lessons would require me to just teach it again because the author can't judge properly what a 2nd grader can understand and what they can't. You can't teach a 2nd grader about how the earth's rotation affects the seasons and yet assume they know what a northern hemisphere is. She teaches children about the things that make an animal a fish but uses the word 'characteristics' several times without defining it. And then there are a few activities that seem silly - like labeling different kind of space debris when the pictures are just pencil sketches. I don't think I'll even be able to tell the difference. If it was just that last one I'd be ok with it though. It's mostly that the lessons seem miswritten for the target age. The material is good and appropriate - it's just not presented in an accessible way. I guess I just need to decide if I am willing to rework the lessons myself.

Heather

It isn't awful - really

Hmmm...I see what you mean. Yes, that's too bad she didn't write in a more kid-friendly way. I'll have to consider if I want to spend the money on the Beginning level or not. I was thinking of doing SE along with ES (Elemental Science).......or McRuffy with ES.

Someone mentioned Nancy Larson Science. I hadn't heard of that one. I checked the site, and while it looks good.....it costs an arm and a leg! SE Beginning is $140 for 1st-3rd.....NLS would cost $675 for 1st-3rd (I thought SE was a lot). I wish I knew if it was far superior so that the cost was justified (hard to think of spending that much when $$ is already so tight). It's really bugging me that I can't view her website properly....everything on the right side of the pages is "hidden" and I have no bar at the bottom to move that page over (is this like this for anyone else?)! I have to copy the entire page and paste it elsewhere to view it. I can't tell how many days a week NLS is used for. Anyone know?

If she wants to explore anatomy you can look here. I put together an in depth study on anatomy, cells, and genetics for my boys this year. I am doing it for two different levels. One level is pretty much 1st-3rd grade level and is designed for a child that loves art and experiments. The other level uses an adult level Usborne style book as a spine and goes into lots of information as well as plenty of experiments, DVDs, and activities. Maybe you can find something you can use.

Wowsers! I am stunned at all the wonderful things you have planned for a human body unit. We will be using The Human Body Deluxe Golden Book as our spine, but all the films and activities will mesh hand-in-hand perfectly.

Thank you! :)

I almost bought Science Excursion this summer, but held off b/c of the price. When I came back a week later, I wasn't so sure what I was excited about.

Then I found Elemental Science, and I bought it. I am really excited about starting it. It's science the WTM way, but all planned out and coordinated for you. I am using the intro level for my K and 1st grade boys. My 4th grade dd chose physics, after she saw the list of projects. She keeps pulling out the IG pages that I've printed to look the program over.

I will have to gather supplies, which is a downside, but each level was only $15, and I'm finally excited about science, so I think I can manage (I think I can, I think I can...;)).

I almost bought Science Excursion this summer, but held off b/c of the price. When I came back a week later, I wasn't so sure what I was excited about.

Then I found Elemental Science, and I bought it. I am really excited about starting it. It's science the WTM way, but all planned out and coordinated for you. I am using the intro level for my K and 1st grade boys. My 4th grade dd chose physics, after she saw the list of projects. She keeps pulling out the IG pages that I've printed to look the program over.

I will have to gather supplies, which is a downside, but each level was only $15, and I'm finally excited about science, so I think I can manage (I think I can, I think I can...;)).

Wait a minute - this is seriously only $15????

Heather

Wait a minute - this is seriously only $15????

Yep. For the e-book version.

http://www.elementalscience.com/order_curriculum.html

You would also have to buy the books that go along with it (some of them --like the biographies could probably come from the library). I think I spent $100 at Amazon for my 2 levels, which included a $35 K'Nex educational kit.

Edited by bonniebeth4

We are using the SE beginner kit for 1st-3rd grade this year. We used K last year and loved it. This year I am frustrated about one aspect of SE and it is exactly what you mentioned....she doesn't write in a way that makes it understandable to such young children.

What I did before school even started was I came up with a book list to tie into each topic that we are covering in SE and I get those from the library. So far I am finding books for every topic and we just read those instead since they have nice color pics but I use the guide to do the experiments. I will say I LOVE having all the supplies handy to do the actual experiments. So I do a mixture.

Since beginner is supposed to be for 1st-3rd grade we are actually doing it over 2 years instead. I have the booklist for this year completely done and working on next years. Some books I am unable to get from the library and some I decided not to use once I looked through them but I have found some real gems. This year's list covers the first 55 lessons.

If you want to have my list I'd be happy to email it to you or post it here. Then you wouldn't have to send it all back and you wouldn't have to spend money on more curriculum. Let me know.

I would recommend the Apologia series or the God's Design for Science Series. The Apologia Zoology goes into some animal anatomy, habitats, predators and prey- in Zoology 1 it gets into flight. They are sprinkled with acitivites throughout. They also have Astronomy and botany that you can mix in so its not just 3 zoology books in a row. I have heard they are coming out with a phyics and chemistry book but I didnt want to wait so I got The Gods Design for the Physical World-- that includes Inventions and Technology, Machines and Motion, and Heat and Energy. They also have a good chemistry book set but I just got Christian Kids Explore Chemistry and so far (I am only the first chapter into it though) I like that. So check out both of those series also. You should find something you like!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Year 1 (lessons 1- 55) Seasons/Weather, Earth's Structure, Geographical Features, Oceans

4 Seasons/Orbit: Seasons of the year (patterns in nature) by Margaret Hall

Sunshine makes the seasons (read and find out) by Franklyn M. Branley

Watching the seasons (welcome books) by Edana Eckart

Seasons: A book of poems (I can read book 3) by Charlotte Zolotow

Season to Season (Heinemann first library) by Anita ganeri

A Year at Maple Hill Farm by Alice Provensen

Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert

Clouds: Flash, Crash, Rumble, Roll by Franklyn M. Branley

Clouds (pebble books) by Gail Saunders-smith

Clouds (heinemann First library) by Elizabeth Miles

What do you see in a cloud? (rookie read about science) By allan fowler

The Cloud Book by Tomie de Paola

The Water Cycle: A Drop of Water by Gordon Morrison

The Snowflake: A Water Cycle Story by Neil Waldman

A Drop of Water by Walter Wick

Down Comes the Rain (Read and Find out) by James Graham Hale

The drop Goes Plop: A First look at the Water Cycle by Sam Godwin

Water (True Books) by Christin Ditchfield

The Magic School Bus at the waterworks by Joanna cole

Where do puddles go by Fay Robinson

The Earth’s Layers: What is the world made of (read and find out) by Kathleen weidner zoehfeld

How to dig a hole to the other side of the world by Faith McNulty

The magic school bus: inside the earth by Joanna Cole

Volcanoes/Geysers: Volcanoes (read and find out) by Franklyn M. Branley

Volcanoes (true books

Volcanoes (national geographic readers) by Anne Schreiber

Voyage to the Volcano by Judith Stamper

Dk readers: Eruption- The story of Volcanoes by anita ganeri

Vacation under the volcano by Mary Pope Osborne (Magic tree house)

Volcanoes (What about…health and science) by Keith Lye

Volcanoes! Mountains of Fire (step into reading) by Eric Arnold

Hill of Fire (I can read book 3) by Thomas P. Lewis

Geysers: When Earth Roars by Roy A. Gallant

Yellowstone National Park by Janet Piehl

Ice Age 2: Geyser Blast! (I can read level 2) by Ellie O’Ryan

Rocks/Fossils: Mary Anning: Fossil Hunter by Sally m. walker

Rocks, fossils and arrowheads by laura evert

The best book of fossils, rocks & minerals by Chris pellant

Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals by Frederick H. Pough

Let’s go rock collecting (read and find out) by Holly Keller

Dry Bones and Other Fossils by Gary and Mary Parker

The Doubleday First Guide to Rocks by Dorothy Shuttlesworth

It could still be a rock by allan fowler

The Earth’s Shape: DK The Earth Atlas by Susanna Van Rose

Oceans/Continents: Ocean Tides by Al Richter

The Earth is mostly Ocean (rookie read aloud science) by Allan Fowler

The Blue Planet: Seas of life (DVD) by Alastair Fothergill

Hidden World by Sharon Dalgleish

Ocean Life by Sharon Dalgleish

Amazing Fish by Mary Ling

A day Underwater by Deborah Kovacs

The magic school bus on the ocean floor by Joanna Cole

Ocean by Ron Hirschi

Seas and Oceans by Imelda Updegraff

What’s under the sea by Solveig Paulson Russell

The Seven Continents (rookie read about geography by Wil Mara

Where is my continent? By Robin Nelson

Rookie read about geography continents (North America, asia, etc) by Allan

Fowler

Continents and Climates by Imelda Updegraff

Mountains and valleys by Imelda Updegraff

Poles/Equator: North pole, south pole (holiday house reader level 2 by Nancy Smiler Levinson

Life on the equator by Stephanie Lazor

Longitude/Latitude: Latitude and Longitude (rookie read about geography) by Rebecca Aberg

Got Geography!: poems by Lee Bennett Hopkins

Maps & Globes (DVD) by Penn Wynnewood

Landforms: (Landforms series) Islands, volcanoes, caves, mountains, etc) Cassie Mayer

Planet Earth (Usborne beginners level 2) by Leonie Pratt

(Library of Landforms series) by Isaac Nadeau

(First step nonfiction landforms series) by Sheila Anderson

(Geography Zone: Landforms series) by Emma Bernay

Ocean structure, floor and life:

What lives in the ocean? By Oona Gaarder-Juntii

Blastoff! Readers: Oceans Alive books (stingrays, octopuses, sea stars, corals,

Ocean Life (scholastic science readers level 2) by Brenda Guiberson

Life in a Coral Reef (read and find out) by Wendy Pfeffer

Under the Sea by Fiona Patchett

Seashore: level 1 by lucy bowman

I Wonder why the sea is salty by Anita Ganeri

Danger for Ocean life: Coral Reefs: In Danger By Samantha Brooke

Oil Spill! By Melvin Berger

Edited by the4Rs

Year 1 (lessons 1-55 continued) God's Creation, Solar System, Stars and Galaxies, Space Debris, Space Exploration, Scientists

God’s Creation: The real story of creation by Paul L. Maier

The Answers book for kids: 22 questions on creation and the fall by Ken ham

Big book of God’s amazing creation: by Gospel Light Publications

The Berenstain Bears Discover God’s Creation by Stan and Jan Berenstain

(The miracle of creation series) by Susan Horner

Earth’s orbit/rotation: Earth (True books) by Elaine Landau

Earth and the Sun by Bobbie Kalman

Moon phases: Midnight on the moon (magic tree house) by mary pope Osborne (audio & book)

What the moon is like (read and find out) by Franklyn M. Branley

Moonwalk: The first trip to the moon by Judy Donnelly

Phases of the moon (Patterns in nature) by Gillia m. Olsen

Sun, Moon and Stars, Level 2: by Stephanie Turnbull

The Moon by Carmen Bredeson

Gravity: Gravity is a mystery (read and find out) by Franklyn M. Branley

What is Gravity (rookie read about science) by Lisa Trumbauer

Forces make things move (Read and find out) by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley

The Sun: the sun: our nearest star (read and find out) by Franklyn M Branely

Energy from the Sun by Allan Fowler

The Sun (Scholastic news nonfiction readers) by Melanie Chrismer

The Sun and other stars by Richard Harris (sound recording and book)

The Sun is always shining somewhere (rookie read about) by Allan Fowler

A Sunny Day by Robin Nelson

What makes day and night by franklyn branley

Eclipses: experiments with the sun and the moon (true books) by Salvatore Tocci

Sun & moon: A giant love story by lisa desimini

Sun and Moon by Marcus Pfister Herbert

Eclipse: Darkness in daytime by Franklyn branley

Planets: Time for Kids: Planets! By Lisa Jo Rudy

Planets by Jennifer Dussling

Little Big Box of Planets: And Pluto too! By Christin Taylor-Butler

Discover the planets by Cynthia Pratt Nicolson

The planets in our solar system by Franklyn m. Branley

Planets, moons, and stars (take-along guide) by Laura Evert

The Planets by Gail Gibbons

Stars/Constellations: Starry sky (dk readers) by Kate Hayden

The Sky is full of stars (read and find out)

The Big Dipper (read and find out)

Her Seven Brothers by Paul Gobel

How far is a star by Sydney Rosen

Galaxies: Galaxies by Seymour Simon

Galaxies, Galaxies by Gail Gibbons

Asteroids, meteors, comets:

Comets, Meteors, and asteroids by Seymour simon

Space Mysteries, level 3 extreme reader by Katharine Kenah

Space Leftovers by Dana Meachen Rau

Comets and Meteor Showers (true books) Paul Sipiera

Halley, Comet 1986 by Franklyn Branley

Shooting stars by Franklyn Branley

Telescopes: The Hubble Space Telescope (true books) Diane and Paul Sipiera

Looking through a telescope by Linda Bullock

Watching the Stars by Edana Eckart

Satellites/ Space shuttles:

Astronauts (true books) Allison Lassieur

The Space shuttle (true books) Allison Lassieur

The International Space Station (read and find out)

Satellites (Picture library) by Norman S. Barrett

Rockets and Satellites (Read and find out) by Franklyn M. Branley

Living on a space shuttle (rookie read about) by Carmen Bredeson

Getting Ready for Space by Carmen Bredeson

Liftoff! A space adventure by Rosanna Hansen

Space Heroes: Amazing Astronauts by James Buckley

Liftoff! (rookie read about) by Carmen Bredeson

Edited by the4Rs

Year 1 (lessons 1-55 continued) Plants and Animals

Life cycle of a plant: The Life Cycle of a Flower by Molly Aloian

Plant life cycles by Anita Ganeri

Plants Grow! By Mary Dodson Wade

From Acorn to Oak Tree by Jan Kottke

From Seed to Sunflower by Gerald Legg

The Reason for a Flower by Ruth Heller

Herbivores, carnivores, omnivores:

What is a herbivore? By Bobbie Kalman

Dinosaurs that ate plants by Leonie Bennet

Plants and Planteaters by Michael Chinery

What is a carnivore? By Bobbie Kalman

Carnivores in the Food Chain by Alice B. McGinty

What is an omnivore? By Bobbie Kalman

Who eats what? (lets read and find out)

Endangered/Extinct: Endangered animals (scholastic first discovery by Scholastic

Endangered Animals (we both read) by Elise Forier

Endangered animals (hello reader level 3) by Faith McNulty

Almost Gone: The World’s Rarest Animals (read and find out) Steve Jenkins

Will We Miss Them? Endangered Species by Alexandra Wright

Can We Save Them? Endangered species of North America David Dobson

Gone Forever: Alphabet of Extinct Animals by Sandra Markle

The Extinct Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta

Endangered and Threatened Animals Series by Michael Bright

Vertebrates/Invertebrates:

What is a Vertebrate? By Bobbie Kalman

Vertebrates (What is an Animal?) by Ted O’Hare

No Backbone! The world of invertebrates series

Arthropods, Fish, Amphibians:

What is an arthropod? By Bobbie Kalman

Life Cycle of a Salmon by Bobbie Kalman

Life Cycle of a Sea Horse by Bobbie Kalman

Blastoff! Readers: Life Cycles by Colleen Sexton

(sponges, manta rays, cuttlefish, barracudas, coral reefs, tide pools, etc)

Frogs! By Elizabeth Carney

Why am I an amphibian? By Greg Pyers

What is an amphibian? By bobbie kalman

A New Frog: My first look at the life cycle of an amphibian by Pamela Hickman

What is a fish by Lola Schaefer

Frogs and Toads by Bobbie Kalman

A spider might by Tom Walther

Reptiles, Birds, Mammals:

The Life cycle of a snake by John Crossingham

The Alligator (life cycles) by Sabrina Crewe

Life Cycle of a Bird by Bobbie Kalman

The Life Cycle of an Emperor Penguin by Bobbie Kalman

Chicken (Life cycles) by David M. Schwartz

How an egg grows into a chicken by Tanya kant

Cats and other Mammals by Sally Morgan

Snakes by Valerie Bodden

Reptiles: scaly-skinned animals by Laura Purdie Salas

What’s the difference between an alligator and a crocodile by Lisa Bullard

Fun Facts about Salamanders by Carmen Bredeson

What is a mammal by Lola Schaefer

Baby Whales drink milk by Barbara juster esbensen

It could still be a mammal by allan fowler

What is a bird by Lola Schaefer

Amazing Birds by Alexandra Parson

Amazing Mammals by Alexandra Parson

Dinosaurs by Design by Duane Gish

Egg: a photographic story of hatching by Robert burton

Sea mammals by anita ganeri

What Really Happened to the dinosaurs by John Morris and Ken Ham

Edited by the4Rs

Now the reason this is so extensive for 1st-3rd grade is that some books the libraries won't carry so I typed all books I could find in my daughter's level. Plus some of these books are for independent reading for her to further her learning. She is a solid reader so this works well for her.

My daughter is only in 2nd grade but she's a huge science fan. She's read just about every Usborne book and science encyclopedia we have on the shelf and I'd really like to do something of substance with her.

My boys are very science-y and we've had great fun with the Sonlight science program. Have you looked at it? Since you already have some Usborne books, you may not have to buy the entire thing.