Menu

As if turning 10 wasn't enough...

Nakia

Two down, two to go in my house. . . . ;)

You have about 12 months (give or take) after the first appearance of brea*t buds. It was about 15 mos. after my now 11yo started growing hers that she started her cycle.

Can I give a recommendation? Look into this series: Beautifully Made. It is without reservation the BEST series I've ever seen on dealing in a positive, godly manner with the changes happening in our girls. It's not puritanical or unrealistic - it's celebratory and gives our girls information, honest information, about the wonder of their bodies and how to embrace their womanhood.

Thanks so much for this recommendation ...with 2 preteen dtrs, I'm going to get my hands on this!!!

Blessings,

kathi

Dd15 got started her period at age 13y4mo. I will forever remember the "when" because ds and dh were away at Philmont and my mother was in the hospital for ovarian cancer surgery AND it was my 42rd birthday.

Dd10y9mo still looks like a little girl. She's very small and below-average weight for her height. No bra shopping here! I'm hoping she waits until she's older, too. It was SO easy with ddTheElder as she already knew about everything and was emotionally able to handle it.

This is so hard for me. I am sad and scared for my girls to grow up, even though I know that's how it is supposed to be.

I feel the same way. My sweet dd is 10 also and she just started with "buds" this year - no other signs yet. She is tiny - 4'10" and not quite 70 lbs. She is my little girl who still plays with dolls (although she has been making them and making clothes for them) yet she has a job helping a neighbor who does day care - she plays with the little kids for a couple hours a week. She has always been my little old soul, but I love that she is still my little girl. I am so not ready for her to move forward.

Here is my baby, modeling her 4-h project.

I feel the same way. My sweet dd is 10 also and she just started with "buds" this year - no other signs yet. She is tiny - 4'10" and not quite 70 lbs. She is my little girl who still plays with dolls (although she has been making them and making clothes for them) yet she has a job helping a neighbor who does day care - she plays with the little kids for a couple hours a week. She has always been my little old soul, but I love that she is still my little girl. I am so not ready for her to move forward.

Here is my baby, modeling her 4-h project.

Beautiful girl and so talented!! My Anna is an old soul too.

I have been told that the period usually shows up about 6 months after underarm hair develops. I don't know how true it is.

I'm glad that hasn't been true for us! That was dd first sign of puberty, She's been shaving her underarms since age 8 and started using deoderant at age 7. I couldn't believe it. But she is just now starting to develop breasts at age 10. We went shopping a couple of weeks ago. She is so excited about growing up and had so much fun shopping for some training bras. She even talked me into getting one that was a little padded and more support - so she'd have it ready when she needed it!! She has not started her period yet - but she is ready.

I was shocked into reality, when my dd best friend (a year older) walked past me with obvious little buds. Thankfully, my 8yo dd still shows no physical signs whatsoever. I even asked my mom if I was correct in my belief or still in some sort of denial (she confirmed my no-signs diagnosis of my dd).

I didn't start my period until I was in the 8th grade... 13 1/2 years old. My mom was 13 1/2 years old as well. I am PRAYING dd gets to wait that long! I didn't have a bra until I was in the 6th grade, either. Didn't really know what a period was until after I started. My 8yo, is a little bit wiser (we only have one bathroom... some things are just hard to hide in our small space).

Now my sweet girl has decided to grow breasts. We were coming home from a walk last night, and I looked back and these strange things were poking through her shirt. She has been wearing camisoles for about a year under certain thin shirts, but this is a whole new level of growing up. I guess we are going shopping for a training bra this weekend. She doesn't have any underarm or pubic hair, but the hair on her legs is thick and coarse. And she has had several little pimples on her face this summer. I also noticed her hair looking a bit greasy a couple of times so she is having to wash it more often. She has been wearing deodorant for a year or so. She is getting so tall and has been getting a cute little figure over the last 8-10 months or so.

This is so hard for me. I am sad and scared for my girls to grow up, even though I know that's how it is supposed to be.

So be honest, moms of girls, how long do I have before she gets her period? She knows all about puberty and periods and sex. I gave her the Care and Keeping book from American Girl today and told her to read through it whenever she wants to and ask me anything she wants to ask. We are very open with everything.

Just look at her! She is growing up! She used to be cute, but now she is beautiful!!

[ATTACH]3262[/ATTACH]

Such a pretty girl!

You take such great photos. I wish you lived near me and taught photography! I've taken a class, but the teacher was more of a nature photographer type (actually told us he does not like to do people pictures).

My 10 yo is is also very petite (about 55 lbs). I'm hoping we have a while yet.

[ATTACH]3267[/ATTACH]

My 7 year old is really petite. She only weighs about 43 lbs. In fact, my 4 year old is almost as tall as her and only weighs about 5 lbs. less.

Such a pretty girl!

You take such great photos. I wish you lived near me and taught photography! I've taken a class, but the teacher was more of a nature photographer type (actually told us he does not like to do people pictures).

Thank you!! You are so kind! I don't know about teaching photography, though. I am still learning so much myself!

A little update: We went shopping today. Got bras, facial wash, and her own set of hairbrushes. She feels like a grown up now. She grinned during the whole thing, which surprised me since she is such a tomboy. I decided I was going to enjoy it and treasure it, and I did. Thank you for being so sweet!