Menu

S/O Hamburger Helper- Please give your easiest hamburger helper homemade type dishes

My kids always thought they were missing out on HH, so I bought it for them when I had a good coupon. They never asked again. :D

This recipe for Hearty Italian Sandwiches is really good, and fast if you have the meat cooked up and in the freezer. I substitute yellow peppers for the green, reduce the amount of onion, and serve with dill pickle slices and the suggested cheese. It's a crockpot recipe but can be made more quickly in the oven.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/hearty-italian-sandwiches/Detail.aspx

Boil water for 1lb of elbow macaroni (or any type of pasta, I have even used penne in a pinch). Cook pasta according to pkg.

Meanwhile...

Brown 2 to 2 1/2 lbs meat (more or less doesn't need to be exact) in a large skillet. Add in 2 stalks diced celery and 1 chopped onion. Cook with meat for 5 minutes. Add a large jar of prepared tomato sauce (we use Ragu) or your own homemade sauce. Heat through. Add drained pasta into large skillet. If you don't have a large skillet, combine in separate large bowl. Makes lots and tastes great as leftovers.

My college son makes this at school..so it is easy.

Boil water for 1lb of elbow macaroni (or any type of pasta, I have even used penne in a pinch). Cook pasta according to pkg.

Meanwhile...

Brown 2 to 2 1/2 lbs meat (more or less doesn't need to be exact) in a large skillet. Add in 2 stalks diced celery and 1 chopped onion. Cook with meat for 5 minutes. Add a large jar of prepared tomato sauce (we use Ragu) or your own homemade sauce. Heat through. Add drained pasta into large skillet. If you don't have a large skillet, combine in separate large bowl. Makes lots and tastes great as leftovers.

My college son makes this at school..so it is easy.

Do you mean a can of tomato sauce or the jar of spaghetti sauce type stuff?

I appreciate your help;)

Cook either wide egg noodles or bow-tie pasta according to package directions. About a pound of which ever your prefer.

In a large skillet brown a pound or two of ground beef with a small onion, half a chopped bell pepper and a couple stalks of celery. Drain if necessary and pour into a large mixing bowl. Drain noodles/pasta and mix with ground beef mixture. Stir in 2 cans of tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste and 1-2 teaspoons dried basil. Pour into prepared casserole dish, cover with 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and bake at 350*F for 25-30 minutes. Serve with salad and bread sticks.

My "hamburger helper" recipe:

1 lb. ground beef

1 pkg. onion soup mix (or make your own with beef boullion & dehydrated chopped onions)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 C. water

2 C. small pasta (shells or elbow is what I normally have on hand)

2 cans petite diced tomatoes with juice

Brown the beef, drain the fat. Add the garlic and onion soup mix & stir until mixed and garlic gets a chance to cook a bit. Add the water, pasta, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil - then reduce heat and simmer until the liquids are gone. You can add a cup of shredded cheese if you like. Sometimes I use rotel tomatoes. Sometimes I add a can of drained corn. When I'm feeling adventurous I add them both ;)

Plantation Supper (an old family standby)

1/2 lg. package of wide noodles

16 oz corn (frozen, but thawed/drained or canned/drained)

8 oz. cream cheese

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 c. milk

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper (or to taste)

1 small onion, diced

1 lb hamburger

cook hamburger and onions, drain

add milk, cream cheese, soup, salt & pepper, mix...add corn, bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and simmer.

Cook noodles per directions, drain and add to the hamburger mixture... simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve.

It's really good the next day too -- and you can make your own COM soup and replace.

Sort of like a poor-man's stroganoff ;)

I tried to replicate the HH Cheesey Hashbrown.

• 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef
  • 1/2 a medium sized yellow onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder*
  • 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
  • Just under a pound of frozen hashbrowns*
  • 3/4 pound Velveeta (I would have rather used cheddar with a little milk added, but dh actually LIKES Velveeta!

Brown the beef, onions, garlic powder, and Worcestershire in a skillet. Drain off any grease. Add the frozen potatoes and stir until they are done. Add the cheese, melt it and serve.

*You could use fresh potatoes instead of frozen and garlic cloves instead of garlic powder. I had the frozen hashbrowns left from making hasbrown casserole (another thing for the hubby, not me). My family reacts like a bunch of vampires if they see garlic cloves in my kitchen.