Menu

Some more Math Mammoth questions

ByGrace3

I am thinking about ordering Math Mammoth. I plan to order the workbooks as opposed to the downloads. Do I need the answer keys? or am I ok to just get 1-A, 1-B, and the cumulative review/tests?

--Also, what would be the benefits to the download other than cost? I am thinking it would be a hassle to have to print it all so the printed pages would be better.

--Anyone doing first grade with their Ker? I am currently using Saxon 1 with my 5 yo and she is handling it fine, I would think she would be fine with MM1A right?

--Lastly :) what do most switch to after 6th grade? what is life after MM like?:lol: I would love to hear what people have switched to and how it went for them.

I am on the fence . . . push me over or push me back! :lol:

THANKS!

I like the download version. With six children, it allows me to make a workbook for everyone. I also have one that needs to repeat things to get it, and with download I can make as many copies as I need.

Whatever version you get, I would get the answer key. I can figure out the problems while checking, but the answer key saves time.

Blessings,

Melinda

Edited by Melinda S in TX

I haven't gotten to start MM yet. I ordered the CD and haven't gotten it yet. :sad:

But, anyway.....I just wanted to mention, just in case you didn't know, that the workbooks are black and white. With the download or the CD you can print in black and white or with color (I don't know if all the pages are color). It might be disappointing if you didn't know that and got the workbooks and thought "What??? No color?!" :ohmy:

I haven't gotten to start MM yet. I ordered the CD and haven't gotten it yet. :sad:

But, anyway.....I just wanted to mention, just in case you didn't know, that the workbooks are black and white. With the download or the CD you can print in black and white or with color (I don't know if all the pages are color). It might be disappointing if you didn't know that and got the workbooks and thought "What??? No color?!" :ohmy:

very glad you told me that! I really like the color in the samples and would have definitely been disappointed! Ok, leaning more towards the download, just need to calculate how much I think it will cost me to print it :confused:

Another Q, MM users, do you think a 5 yo who is doing Saxon 1 would be fine doing MM1? I read her suggestions for K, but my dc already knows that so we are doing first grade as suggested by friends. Just wondering if MM 1 might be more difficult than saxon 1?

Thanks!

very glad you told me that! I really like the color in the samples and would have definitely been disappointed! Ok, leaning more towards the download, just need to calculate how much I think it will cost me to print it :confused:

If you print on "fast draft" mode, it uses much less ink.

Another Q, MM users, do you think a 5 yo who is doing Saxon 1 would be fine doing MM1? I read her suggestions for K, but my dc already knows that so we are doing first grade as suggested by friends. Just wondering if MM 1 might be more difficult than saxon 1?

Thanks!

Some parents have found that the spaces for writing in MM worksheets may be small for a Ker, depending on their fine motor skills. If this is the case, you can do separate "screen shots" of the top and bottom of the page and print them out separately in landscape format. That way the space for writing is much larger, and there are fewer problems per page (MM tends to have a lot of problems on each page).

I've never used Saxon, so I'm afraid I can't help with that part of your question.

Jackie

I'm using it with a K'er and a 2nd grader.

I'm doing 1A currently with my K'er and she's doing great with it. Much better than she was with Singapore.

My 2nd grader did Saxon for K and 1 in PS, so I'm skimming through 1B with him at the moment to make sure he has all the concepts down before we move on with MM (pretty sure he does, but Saxon is such a different program). He does complain that the place to write answers is too small, so I often give him another sheet of paper to write answers on.

I bought the download since I'm using it for both kids. Plus I can keep it and use it for my 2 yo when she's ready for it. I just print out the worksheets we'll need for a week at a time and stick them in their math work boxes.

ETA: There are placement tests on the Math Mammoth website. If she's doing Saxon 1, I think she should be just fine with MM 1, but you can look the placement test over and see what you think.

Edited by LemonPie

Can you really download MM and then print it out in black and white? I tried printing some samples with only black ink and the color didn't come out, which made important parts unreadable. Is there another way?

I bumping this up, hoping someone can answer this more definitely than I can. When I was considering getting MM I did a search here to read all about it (there are a TON of posts). Several people had mentioned that they print it with just the black ink. So hopefully one of them can reply and let us know if there's any special way to print it that way.

Can you really download MM and then print it out in black and white? I tried printing some samples with only black ink and the color didn't come out, which made important parts unreadable. Is there another way?

I think it might vary with the printer-

but if I print in color and the color runs out, then anything designated as color does not print out

however, if, when starting the print job I choose to "print in black only" or something like that, then everything prints in black/ grayscale.

I bumping this up, hoping someone can answer this more definitely than I can. When I was considering getting MM I did a search here to read all about it (there are a TON of posts). Several people had mentioned that they print it with just the black ink. So hopefully one of them can reply and let us know if there's any special way to print it that way.

I guess it would depend on your printer. Here's how it works for my HP. On the print screen that comes up, I click on properties, click on the "Color" tab and then select "print in gray scale" and then (right next to it) it defaults to "high quality." I click on that and select "black ink only" instead.

Hope that makes sense.

I guess it would depend on your printer. Here's how it works for my HP. On the print screen that comes up, I click on properties, click on the "Color" tab and then select "print in gray scale" and then (right next to it) it defaults to "high quality." I click on that and select "black ink only" instead.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you so much!

I figured it out with a HP printer and a Mac by selecting 'ColorSync' and then 'Gray Tone'.

I bought the download and brought it office depot and had the books made (for three children) and the books came out to be about $25 a piece. I had them done in both b/w and color.

I did think of that. I like "books" :lol: At first I just thought that would be silly since the workbooks are cheaper . . . but not if they are just b/w :glare:

I did think of that. I like "books" :lol: At first I just thought that would be silly since the workbooks are cheaper . . . but not if they are just b/w :glare:

I know what you mean about liking books. That's me for sure. But, here's another idea.....print the pages off your computer (you'll be able to have color then)....then, instead of having a "workbook page" bound in a workbook, you'll have a "worksheet". Put a worksheet or two on a colorful clipboard. It's amazing how kids think this is so cool. ;)

I know what you mean about liking books. That's me for sure. But, here's another idea.....print the pages off your computer (you'll be able to have color then)....then, instead of having a "workbook page" bound in a workbook, you'll have a "worksheet". Put a worksheet or two on a colorful clipboard. It's amazing how kids think this is so cool. ;)

I love how portable it is. Not my deciding factor in choosing, but it sure didn't hurt!

Tomorrow the kids and I will be traipsing around a college campus (hanging out while big brother takes 2 classes). One less book in my 6 and 10 year old's backpacks is a good thing. Elder ds (who uses Teaching Textbooks) will be encouraged to do his math lesson before we go.

I love how portable it is. Not my deciding factor in choosing, but it sure didn't hurt!

Tomorrow the kids and I will be traipsing around a college campus (hanging out while big brother takes 2 classes). One less book in my 6 and 10 year old's backpacks is a good thing. Elder ds (who uses Teaching Textbooks) will be encouraged to do his math lesson before we go.

I agree. I printed (b&w laser printer) the whole year, then 3 hole punched the pages and put them in a binder. When I'm getting ready for the week, I just pull out pages we will need and put them in the Math folder. This week I put the math folder in my tote bag and yesterday DD did her Math at DS's dance class and she did it today at the orthodontist's office.

I also like to be able to just reprint a page. Sometimes DD gets frustrated with her handwriting and wants to start over.

But what about after 6th grade? I have the same question as the OP. I am doing the MM downloads as a trial now, and really like them. But I think I'm going to use Singapore, only because they continue to 12th. Can you switch from 6th to Singapore?

After 6th grade, I plan on using Teaching Textbooks from prealgebra up to (or through) precalc.

Many Singapore users do not use the high school levels. They have various reasons, but you might want to look into that.

I am thinking about ordering Math Mammoth. I plan to order the workbooks as opposed to the downloads. Do I need the answer keys? or am I ok to just get 1-A, 1-B, and the cumulative review/tests? I would think you could do without the answer keys.

--Also, what would be the benefits to the download other than cost? I am thinking it would be a hassle to have to print it all so the printed pages would be better.

--Anyone doing first grade with their Ker? I am currently using Saxon 1 with my 5 yo and she is handling it fine, I would think she would be fine with MM1A right? My answer to your previous question runs into this one. I have the download and I'm doing MM1 with a K'er. The writing spaces are quite small. I read on this board to use the "snapshot" tool in Adobe viewer to highlight portions of the lesson and print them bigger on the page. I also do this for my ds6 who has fine motor issues. This has made a huge difference! Also, the pages tend to be quite full... this helps to put less on a page which is less overwhelming for my littler ones.

--Lastly :) what do most switch to after 6th grade? what is life after MM like?:lol: I would love to hear what people have switched to and how it went for them. I know Maria has a portion of her website that addresses materials to use after MM. We aren't there yet so can't give personal feedback, but most of the materials are names I've seen on here highly regarded. Here is the link.

I am on the fence . . . push me over or push me back! :lol:

THANKS!

:001_smile: