Menu

Help, i don't know what I'm doing!

ange

Hi, I'm new to homeschooling, and now have my 4 dc expecting a wonderful fun-filled day of learning, but I haven't a clue what I'm doing. DC are ages 11 turning 12 in a month, turning 10 this week, 7, and 5. My issues right now are: I have no idea how to lesson plan or how to use a lesson plan; I am not using an "open -the -box and go" curriculum, but have pieced together different things for each child; 4 different kids on 4 different levels - all want help at the same time; I'm still getting physically organized (we have a "school room" in process) so all the curriculum is sorted in boxes in our living room at the moment; I'm still trying to figure out where each kid "is" academically; I don't know how to schedule each subject and each child so that there is enough time, and so that I can give each child the direct instruction they need...I guess that's a start. I'm hoping to find some help here so I don't quit before we even get started! I'm drowning....anyone got a life preserver? Thanks!

I would suggest teaching history and science together, in some type of rotation, be it WTM or a different cycle. Beyond that what are you using? :001_smile: It's really hard to make to many suggestions without that information. I know many families who make schedules for each day by time, I tend to have a loose schedule. As for lesson plans, figuring out how many weeks you will school and dividing up the material to give you a rough idea of what to cover each week.

If you haven't already read WTM then I suggest you check your library and see if they have it, it really will give you a good starting point that you can then adapt for your family.

Breath!!! :) You CAN do this.

I'd first suggest starting EASY. Perhaps only working on one subject a day until you have it down, then adding another when you are ready. It will likely take a while until you find your "groove". Just when I find mine, things change, so I'm not sure if it ever gets to be "exactly like we want it".

I only work with 2 children (so far) so I'm afraid I can't offer advice for 4 but I'm sure some ladies on here will have some great suggestions. I'd like to recommend looking over the simplycharlottemason.com website. They have some great schedules that you can look over and see how you might juggle working with all 4 dc. Look on the menu on the left under Planning and you can view Daily and Weekly Schedules. You don't need to use this curriculum/learning style to glean some ideas.

Hopefully this helps a little,

I agree w/Cynthia. Start gradually and work you and your kids into a schedule and until you get more organized. I'd start w/math and one language art (reading/writing/spelling...) You'll eventually find a rhythm. You won't have to lesson plan w/just two subjects (unless you're using complicated curricula). Just go to the next page in your math program, same w/lang. arts. Try to use more independent curricula for some subjects like Math Mammoth or SWO. Give independent work to your two oldest while you work w/your youngest. Use educational dvds/books on cd to keep some kids academically occupied while you work w/others.

It's taken me 3 years to find a groove. Don't panic. Really.

Laura

I don't know how well I am following WTM...my 2 older dc were in a classical school for 1st-4th and 5th grade. So for them, i just tried to piece together something similar to what they would have been doing following the schedule at the previous CC school. 2 oldest are continuing Latin w/ a tutor. Oldest is taking American History (co-op class), and a literature/ comp co-op class, at home we're trying out CLE Math (kids were struggling w/ Saxon) and horizons K for youngest and I threw in CLE LA for good measure (for the 2 olders), mainly to help them keep their grammar skills up (they have had extensive, intensive grammar at CC school), I also planned to get into poetry w/ my oldest (the Grammar of Poetry), and literary analysis using Teaching the Classics. Dad says he will be doing science w/ all 4 using exploring creation w/ human anatomy & physiology (adapting it for younger 2) and throwing in some nature study. 2 olders are taking an art class 1st semester, and I'll be doing art w/ the 2 youngers. Dad will cover music practice. the 2nd oldest I choose MOH vol 3 renaissance & reformation and various resources to use w/ it, she will be taking IEW co-op class; I need to cover literature w/ her hopefully along w/ the oldest, and I was hoping we could do some little projects out of "keepers of the home". 2 youngers are tough as 7 yo is a non-reader/ADHD/ SID/ possible dyslexic and 5 yo looks to be gifted. I finally decided to try ABeCeDarian with both (but will have to teach them separate) rather then going w/ the phonics road i had already purchased, as 7 yo had a full year of OG Riggs and still cannot put sounds together. I'm still waiting for ABCD to arrive. I already described the math I chose for them. I want to have time for lots of read alouds, and I have IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization to begin with them. They will take 1 co-op class Galloping the Globe. I don't think that covers absolutely everything I have purchased as I tried to hodge podge things together...but hopefully that gives you an idea of the mess I have to sort out. ;P Thank you for any help you can give me!

Little disclaimer up front: This is my first year "really" homeschooling (we did a pretty intensive part-time collaborative school last year, so to me that didn't really count). I am only schooling two, with Littlest hanging out.

I have a sort of modified file system. I don't pull things out the work books until Sunday evening but I do have files set up by the week for the Term so I will remember certain things when we get to that week. I use Homeschool Tracker and made all my lesson plans over the summer, but I don't schedule my assignments until Sunday evening for that week. (You don't have to have a computer program to do this, you could do the same thing with pencil and paper, but since you have more coming up behind, one of the benefits of HST is that the plans are already done when the next student gets to that subject.) I print out the weekly assignment sheet and use that to pull all the assignments for each of my students and put them in their weekly binder.

In the binder:

1. Weekly Assignment Sheet

2. Memorization Assignment for the week (usually just AWANA's verses but occasionally some other poem or such as well, I have the entire text typed up in HST+ so I can print it for them instead of having to pull our their AWANA book each time.)

2. There is a folder in the binder that has 4 pockets.

2A. The first pair of pockets is for their "To Do" assignments; the left pocket is for items that we need to work on together and/or require some level of instruction from me.

2B. The right pocket has assignments that I expect them to be able to complete on their own. This is things like handwriting practice, math practice, any assignments that they started with me but needs to be completed, work from the previous week that did not get finished for some reason.

2C. The next set of pockets is for their completed work, the left is for things they have finished and I need to grade; the right is for things I have graded/corrected that they can now put away in their "big binder" where all completed work is stored.

3. Reading and piano practice logs.

4. Reference materials - since I tear apart most of their books, I put the reference sections that may be helpful as they are doing their work in their binders.

I also have a basket of library books related to our science and history topics for the week, as well as a designated shelf of books we own that are okay for "free-reading".

Now, I detailed all that as this is the system has definitely helped keep me sane as I am working with one student or the other or tending to Littlest. The assignment sheet shows them exactly what needs to be done for the day without me having to constantly tell them what is next, (although the 6 YO still needs help with this, which to me is age appropriate). If I am working with one and the other needs help, they have plenty to do in their "To Do" pocket. They are learning to skip that question and move on or put aside whatever assignment is giving them problems and work on their independent work until it is their turn for my attention. If they really don't have anything they can do without help, they can take their piano log to the keyboard and practice or they can choose a book from the library basket to look at. It gives them plenty to do without just sitting and waiting for me to help them or bugging me for my attention.

I will also second the suggestion to combine wherever possible. We combine for science and history, as well as some misc. stuff, like analogies, civics, sign language.

ETA: THe binder system has the added bonus of being fairly portable as we have several reasons to school away from home each week.

I would suggest not even starting "school" yet.

I think it is more important to make sure you have organizing/cleaning/discipline/meals under control first. How are thier attitudes about cleaning or chores? Get your school room set up so you can easily do school, get the rest of the house set up so the kids can easily get cleaning supplies and know what to do to get things clean. Make a menu and list each week so cooking and shopping are taken care of.

That said, if you really feel like you have to do some school now, then I'd cut back to the 3R's. Only math, reading or phonics, and writing or handwriting. I have weekly planning sheet for each kid (I attached a pdf copy, but really it is a spreadsheet). Every two weeks I print off a new sheet write down what they need to do (under math I might write 4 pages/day) then they fill in the boxes as they complete the work (so he might write p.58, meaning he worked to page 58). When I do that planning every two weeks, I make sure all the books are in thier crate, wkshts are printed off, and supplies are handy.

I start with the youngest and work up. So if I were you I'd work with the 5yo while the other three find something to work on independantly. They know what subjects they can do on thier own (over the years I have marked this different ways right on thier schedules), but if nothing else they can read. After the 5yo has done math, phonics, and handwriting, I'd let him go play while I work with the 7yo. I might have to do a quick check in with the olders between here, again expecting them to work independantly or read while they are waiting for thier turn.

Hopefully I'd still have a little time for the next two before lunch and probably these two I can help at the same time. Because they probably have something independant in most subjects so I can switch back and forth if they are both sitting by me and working. But there are also days I just need one of the big kids to help with the little ones.

Also you can probably combine these two for somethings. For sure history, science, art, music (and probably all 4 kids should be doing these subjects together) but your 10 and 12 yos can be doing grammar (this is so much review every year, just pick one and go with it) and literature (this is even better if you have more people for discussions), maybe spelling, or even writing.

If you post your curriculum, you'll get even more "help" ;)

Lincoln2.pdf

Breath!!! :) You CAN do this.

I'd first suggest starting EASY. Perhaps only working on one subject a day until you have it down, then adding another when you are ready. It will likely take a while until you find your "groove". Just when I find mine, things change, so I'm not sure if it ever gets to be "exactly like we want it".

I will third Cynthia, focus on one topic at a time, and get it up and running, then add the next.

Right now not only are you learning how to teach, how to organize and how to implement, but your kids really don't know what is expected of them either. They are probably feeling just as insecure and lost. When you start it all at once it is just too much for everyone, and little problems seem a lot bigger than they really are because there is so much that doesn't seem to be working. I personally would start with math for the oldest child. Pick up the text decide how much needs to be covered this year, break it into daily portions by page number, chapter or some other natural division in the text and do the first day. Then pick up the next child's math book and do the same. You will have to tweak thing, adjust schedules, or even back up and fill in holes. Right now the point is to just take the first step.

Heather

:bigear:

I will be following this thread closely, as I am new to homeschooling as well. My wife and I decided that it was time to let my 11 year old twins (7th grade) start moving at a quicker pace. Like you, I feel lost, but a wonderful thing happened - my children started to take charge of some of the responsibility and are really helping us out. I know that it depends on the age of the child, but I woud recommend that you really let them get involved. If everything keeps going well I might be able to sleep again in the next few months.

:grouphug:

Well, I am just started to work out scheduling two, so I will let more experienced moms with more kids help you out there, but I have some ideas for your 7 year old:

1. Phonemic awareness:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127043

2. Webster's speller, it is much easier to blend 2 letter syllables than CVC words.

3. Post on the special needs board to find others who have worked through similar things.

I'd first suggest starting EASY. Perhaps only working on one subject a day until you have it down, then adding another when you are ready.

Wise words! I completely agree! In the beginning, you'll probably feel like a ping-pong ball for a while until you get into a groove.

I find that with my four kids, all at completely different levels, master schedules don't work for us. They just stress us all out (especially me!). So we have routines, and pretty much ignore the clock. :)

I have 4 also and 3 doing school this year. The 4th is pre-k, and she gets a lot of reading aloud, some from me and dh but more from grandma, some basic phonics and number stuff, but it's not really structured.

What I have done every year is use planners for each of them so each day the work that they have to do is written down in a way they can understand. I rely more on this as they get older. Others use workboxes, but the planner works for me so I'm not eager to change it.

There are some things each child can do on their own and things they need me for. In the beginning, they need you for everything so that's a good reason for slowly introducing subjects, one each week if necessary. By introducing them gradually they get used to them, establish a routine, and you can see how much your involvement is needed for each subject (or part of a subject) they have to do. Over time, more and more (within limits) can be independent but it will take time for you and them to determine exactly what.

I have a lot of friends with big families and there are two basic ways people seem to approach it. 1. Find as much curriculum as you can that they can do independently and have them do it, and you stay out of it. (I'm leaving my opinion out.) 2. Try to do as much as you can with all the kiddoes as a group. As a previous poster mentioned history and science lend themselves to this.

I would love to work work directly with each dc but it's just not feasible for every subject. So I decide what to do together based on their needs, my own needs, and what they enjoy doing together.

My second part of scheduling is to make a one page shedule that covers everyday in time blocks for all four dc. I set that up mostly for myself so I know when to make myself available to each one individually and when I share myself between two or three of them. So, it's set up to show for each child when they are working with me alone or as a group and when they are on their own to do a specific subject. I put this up on the wall in our schooling area so I can check it.

I hope this is helpful to you in some way. I agree with the other posters to start out slowly. If I were you I would choose the most important subjects out of a list prioritizing them and start their. Math, I would say, is really important and a great place to start. For me, writing is next, but you could also integrate something like spelling without much grief.

Wishing you all the best in your homeschooling endeavor. It can be tough at times, but so worth it!

I am taking in everything you all have been sharing. This helps so much to hear from others who have "been there and done that". I am definitely going to "start slow" now as suggested. I agree Math should be an easy place to start and figure out a plan. I also am thinking the suggestion to not do school until we have some more organization in place. I have been trying to figure out everything all at the same time - school, meals, chores, work (I haven't slept more than a few hours a night for the past month) - it's too much to tackle I think. I came across a great link to a blog that's dedicated to slow cooker recipes, so i am starting to try out those recipes to simplify the meal planning and prep. I started "training" the kids on chores this summer (at least that much I planned ahead) and have them almost able to clean the kitchen and take care of dishes all on their own (the oldest can do this) and I have worked out a laundry system so that each child is at least partially if not completely responsible for their clothes. I did not mention that part of organizing the school room has been some MAJOR decluttering adding to the burden. I struggle w/ clutter so this has been a big hurdle to get thru. I have one child that I have to push and push to get chores done, and the youngest thinks he isn't able to much (we tell him otherwise). My other 2 are good helpers and chore "completers". I think the kids are really looking for me to put the structure in place, but I also think the older 2 are very capable of working independently, both at school work and chores - it's just getting them to see that and realize it. As for curriculum, I'll list everything below and maybe someone has some suggestions. Thank you so much for all this great advice...I'm hanging in there! AngieE

History (DD almost 10) MOH 3 and Famous Men of R&R, A Child's History of the World for 2 youngers

CLE Maths 1, 4, 5

Horizon Math K

Phonics - ABeCeDarian (has yet to arrive)

Phonemic Awareness/ Auditory Skills - Earobics

Handwriting - Cursive First for 7 yo (not 100% on that yet), will try ABCD for 5 yo

Literature - Teaching the Classics

Poetry - Grammar of Poetry, IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Science -Exploring Creation w/ Human Anatomy & Physiology, My Body for 2 youngers, "relaxed" Nature Study

Music Appreciation -Young Scholars Guide to Composers, Color the Classics

Music Instruction & Theory - Music in Me

Art (for 2 youngest) - lessons from mom

Vocab - WordBuild Elements 1 for 2 oldest, Visual Vocabulary for 2 youngers

Haven't decided about spelling for 2 oldest

Grammar (general Language Arts) - CLE LA 5 and 6 for 2 oldest (I chose this mainly because I read it could be done independently and I want them to keep up their diagramming skills)

Bible and discipleship - various things including Studying God's Word A, F and E (yet to arrive)

That's everything, I think, except co-op classes

What I have done every year is use planners for each of them so each day the work that they have to do is written down in a way they can understand. I rely more on this as they get older. Others use workboxes, but the planner works for me so I'm not eager to change it.

Did you create a planner or buy a ready made one? I was working on making some planner sheets so wondering what format you found to work best. Also, do you use planners w/ younger children? Thank you for very good advice and encouraging words!

I have two older children doing school. We are doing 2nd grade and 6th grade this year. My 6th grader is very independent, so I do school with my younger while my older son does his work independently. When my younger son finishes up his work for the day, I work with my older son on the things where he needs my help or input. It has worked well for us.

The curriculum we use in in my siggy...but it is a lot of open and go now. I have done it on my own too by pulling together different curricula over the years. Here is a sample of my older son's schedule from last year - I was piecing things together then. HTH.

post-4243-13535083885645_thumb.jpg

post-4243-13535083885645_thumb.jpg

My second part of scheduling is to make a one page shedule that covers everyday in time blocks for all four dc. I set that up mostly for myself so I know when to make myself available to each one individually and when I share myself between two or three of them. So, it's set up to show for each child when they are working with me alone or as a group and when they are on their own to do a specific subject. I put this up on the wall in our schooling area so I can check it.

Yes, I need this! Do you have an example of what that looks like? Do you keep younger children busy w/ an educational video while working w/ older children? My older children are also distracted by the noise level the 2 younger ones can make (esp. 7 yo throwing a fit of frustration). I am wondering how you balance keeping youngers occupied and quiet for olders...anyone???? :tongue_smilie: THANK YOU!

Did you create a planner or buy a ready made one? I was working on making some planner sheets so wondering what format you found to work best. Also, do you use planners w/ younger children? Thank you for very good advice and encouraging words!

I've used different ones over the years. Sometimes I think of making my own, but I haven't done it yet. At one point, I used free forms I found on either homeschoolclassifieds.com or donnayoung.org and put them in binders, working on one week at a time. Some people I know take theirs to Staples to have them comb bound. I would suggest looking at rainbowresource.com because you can see inside views of the planners. Basically, I like the ones with the days of the week at the top and the subjects going down, but this year I'm trying the opposite and I'll just have to see if I get used to it. This year the planners I bought have softcovers and actually I'm wondering if they'll survive the year or if they'll start to fall apart. Fortunately, they are three-holed punched so I have a back up and could always put them in a binder. I'm someone to whom organization doesn't come naturally. It's a constant struggle for me to stay on top of everything so I'm better off with something ready-made or else loose pages will wind up everywhere.

So far I have used a planner even for a dd in kindergarten. It was mainly for me to check off what I had done and to see what else I had to do, to keep me on track in other words. But, at some point in first grade, when she started to read, she would refer to it herself and pick up work she could do on her own like handwriting, spelling, or even phonics, and check it off when she was done. I remember even putting things in there like Draw, Write, Now. We do have those books, but she would sometimes just like to draw her own picture in a blank book and check it off. It was a worthwhile way to keep her busy. (You could even put in "practice the piano" or "pick up things off the floor.") This dd liked her planner so much, and she loved the cheap, cute little stickers she would put next to the work she had completed. Last year she started making planner sheets for her 3 yo sister and giving her stickers to put on it. She would write things on there like play, storytime, and things like that.

Yes, I need this! Do you have an example of what that looks like? Do you keep younger children busy w/ an educational video while working w/ older children? My older children are also distracted by the noise level the 2 younger ones can make (esp. 7 yo throwing a fit of frustration). I am wondering how you balance keeping youngers occupied and quiet for olders...anyone???? :tongue_smilie: THANK YOU!

I tried to attach it, but it says it's an invalid file type...Maybe I can figure it out later.

I have very distractible dc who can easily get frustrated with the noise level and I'm looking into getting some kind of earphones that block noise. I used starfall in the past to keep my busy one busy and out of the way. I also have a lot of play-do. I keep an under the bed storage box on my kitchen floor filled with moonsand. Sometimes I put them in the bath with toys if they are old enough to be safe that way; it helps that our bathroom is close to where we do school. We also have a fenced in backyard and two dogs that keep the kids busy. But, grandma saves the day. She stops by nearly everyday after she goes to church and visits with friends. Without her visits and time with my youngest, life would be much more chaotic.

It was suggested to me to have a storage bin of toys that you only pull out during school time to keep it special. I did that with a tanagrams set for a dd who was crazy about puzzles. I've also heard of older dc helping keep younger ones busy. In my house, that has limited effectiveness because some dc are slow workers and need their time.

Balancing is hard. Again, I think it's so helpful to prioritize so there's a better chance of getting the most important things done everyday. You will get into a routine and things will come together, but you will always have crazy days if your house is anything like mine. If you prioritize in your planning, you should get to a point when the the most important things will get done without fail.

My biggest problem is putting away laundry. I can get it washed and dried but I wind up with baskets and baskets of clean laundry to put away on the weekend. I should put that on my schedule but I don't know where.:confused:

Some things that have worked for us so far:

• I make daily lists for the boys and write them down on little pieces of paper (typically the backs of junk mail or similar - i split the paper into 1/4s). I was using white boards, but then Thing 2 would end up sitting on his and erasing it. I tend to include special notes I need to remember for them ("i need to talk to you about hockey practice") and a reminder to do chores (and if there are specific chores I need them to accomplish). A friend types a list of 10 or 12 items for her kids but using those whole sheets of paper makes me twitchy when we have so much scrap paper around. I title each one ("Daniel's Monday Work") so that when they set it down somewhere and it gets mixed up with yesterday's list, they know which one is correct.
  • Each child has a bin that's a bit larger than a dishpan that contains all of his materials: binders for history and science, math workbook, handwriting workbook, pencil case, erasers, colored pencils, etc. This allows each child to work at his typical work space or anywhere else. When it's lovely out, they can work on the back patio table and just take the bin with them.
  • i don't plan out my whole month or anything else. I have in the back of my mind vague things I'd like to accomplish (I'd like to get thru a whole year of science and history in a school year, for example). How fast the boys progress depends on how they're retaining. They go thru math at different rates with different skills (times tables went faster than multiplication with regrouping). This is why I do daily lists rather than weekly plans. It also means I don't feel as behind when I need to push something back. For example, I was planning on doing "regular" school all this week since it's our first week back, but dear friends have tomorrow off from public school for the Jewish New year, so instead we're going to the zoo with them and I'm trying to not feel guilty about this only being a 3 day work week :o
  • Those lists (from point 1) include any corrections from the previous day's work. I tend to make their lists for tomorrow after they're in bed rather than checking everything as soon as their done. My kids can get several things done independently (like their math and phonics work) and then I can just check it later rather than having to interrupt things that I'm doing (like the dishes).
  • I made a massive chore list and assigned each chore a point value. I got the idea from Family Fun. Each boy is required to do 5 chores for the betterment of the household. They get points for other things like getting dressed before lunch, brushing teeth, etc, but those don't count as household chores. Doing a load of laundry does count, even if it's your own. My boys (7 and almost 10) can both do laundry from start to finish. The 7 year old isn't great about folding shirts, but he can put everything away. They can clean nearly any surface and do a pretty decent job with the bathroom. They just need "clean the bathroom" broken down into steps (clean the counter, clean the mirror, clean the inside and outside of the toilet, etc).
  • Minimize how much actual COOKING you do in the early days, if not for the long haul, unless cooking is really your thing. I keep thinking I want to make lovely warm breakfasts and then lunches and dinner and then I remember that I don't like spending all day in the kitchen cooking and washing up. So, DH makes breakfast or the boys feed themselves. They can make several different things for lunch and I'll occasionally make soup or something else. Dinner is almost always from scratch with all 4 of us at the table. We've been using more prepared stuff than the hippie in me would like, but there's something nice about just warming up something from Trader Joe's in the oven for lunch that means the clean up is minimal and the boys could do it themselves.

My biggest problem is putting away laundry. I can get it washed and dried but I wind up with baskets and baskets of clean laundry to put away on the weekend. I should put that on my schedule but I don't know where.:confused:

Thanks for all the great ideas for the younger kids. I'm going to have to come up w/ a list of activites for them, and some educational type videos or games for them too -more planning, but I'm sure it will be worth it. You gave me a great list to start with.

I wanted to share too what I have found that has helped me not have baskets of clean laundry everywhere (we are very familiar w/ living out of baskets - ugh, the long searches thru piles for matching socks and wrinkled clothes - so frustrating!) I agree it is sorting, folding, putting away that causes the problem. This summer, I decided to not mix our laundry anymore. It sounds crazy, maybe too simple, but I find it really helps. You may have more loads (and the loads will be smaller), but all I have to do is take the load out of the dryer, hand it to the person it belongs to and tell them to put it away. Since it is not the size of Mt. Rushmore - there is usually not a problem with he or she getting it done (the exception being the children that always drag there feet no matter what it is I ask). I ordered a bunch of these laundry bags that hang on the back of a door from home depot. Each person in the family has 2, one for darks and one for lights. When the bag gets full they take it to the washer, dump it in, and if he/she is old enough, start it. Then I have them load it to the dryer and empty it when done (all the kids can pretty much do that). I have 4 other laundry bags hanging on my the doors of my "laundry breezeway" (I don't have a laundry room). These bags are for sheets, towels, items that don't "belong" to a particular person. When those get full, I wash/ dry/ and have kids put them away. The last problem I had was the "stray sock basket", which was as big as a winnebago...eventually turning into several baskets. I decided to stop collecting those all together too (still getting kids on board w/ this one). I designated a "stray sock" compartment in my sock drawer - only my strays go there. As I find more strays - guess what - i make matches. :001_smile: It's like a sock dating service. :tongue_smilie: Anyway, since this has been working for me, I'm trying to transition the rest of the family to that. I don't know if any of this is helpful but I figured everyone is helping me so I would try to return the favor!

Some things that have worked for us so far:

• I made a massive chore list and assigned each chore a point value. I got the idea from Family Fun. Each boy is required to do 5 chores for the betterment of the household. They get points for other things like getting dressed before lunch, brushing teeth, etc, but those don't count as household chores. Doing a load of laundry does count, even if it's your own.

• Minimize how much actual COOKING you do in the early days, if not for the long haul, unless cooking is really your thing.

Great ideas! I love the idea of chores w/ points, and so many you do for the family and others are extra. Do you give your boys something special in exchange for the "points" they earn? I also agree about the cooking...it takes so much energy to prep, cook, and clean so however it can be made easier. That is why I am wanting to get out the slow cookers. I hope I can have the ease of less actual "cooking" and we can still have decent home cooked dinners.

THing 2 (7) read the article as well, and there was some comment about how when the children filled the jar with marbles (one marble per point), they received $10. He thought this was an excellent reward. We're using quart sized mason jars and those flat sided floral marbles since that's what Joann's had in a large quantity. Marbles (like for games) come in much smaller quantities.

Each boy picked a color and got a bag. Thing 2 has been VERY on top of how many marbles he gets for what chore (three cheers for extrinsic motivation?). Thing 1 is less motivated, but may come around once Thing 2 gets his $10 which should be shortly. It takes roughly a month to fill the jar, depending on how well they do with remembering. I've also been known to throw one in there when they behave in an excellent way (no fighting or complaining while we run errands? here's a marble). Those things aren't on the list - they're just a surprise.

THing 2 (7) read the article as well, and there was some comment about how when the children filled the jar with marbles (one marble per point), they received $10. He thought this was an excellent reward. We're using quart sized mason jars and those flat sided floral marbles since that's what Joann's had in a large quantity. Marbles (like for games) come in much smaller quantities.

Each boy picked a color and got a bag. Thing 2 has been VERY on top of how many marbles he gets for what chore (three cheers for extrinsic motivation?). Thing 1 is less motivated, but may come around once Thing 2 gets his $10 which should be shortly. It takes roughly a month to fill the jar, depending on how well they do with remembering. I've also been known to throw one in there when they behave in an excellent way (no fighting or complaining while we run errands? here's a marble). Those things aren't on the list - they're just a surprise.

LOVE THIS! Would you mind sharing your master chore list and the point values you assigned? My kids would love doing this and they are always begging for an allowance, so this would solve several issues!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmHj2tbllZcbdFpmTkdUanBwdFlubWc5QU8wMWxqOUE&hl=en#gid=0 this is the household stuff and it's broken down by room.

this one: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmHj2tbllZcbdDdsb2Nrdm9IZkpDakE2TEtHdkphdWc&hl=en#gid=0 is the first version. this is where the daily chore/more personal stuff is.

It's not the best thing ever, but it's a decent starting place. You should be able to save it to your own computer and then make changes (it's in Excel).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmHj2tbllZcbdFpmTkdUanBwdFlubWc5QU8wMWxqOUE&hl=en#gid=0 this is the household stuff and it's broken down by room.

this one: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmHj2tbllZcbdDdsb2Nrdm9IZkpDakE2TEtHdkphdWc&hl=en#gid=0 is the first version. this is where the daily chore/more personal stuff is.

It's not the best thing ever, but it's a decent starting place. You should be able to save it to your own computer and then make changes (it's in Excel).

Thank You! This is awesome and gives me a great start. :D

I haven't read all the threads, but a good tool to help you plan from a big picture down to a day is "How to Plan Your Charlotte Mason Education" available from Simply Charlotte Mason. You don't need to be a CM type to find this helpful. She walks you through the process step by step. I'd recommend the book & DVD. Not very expensive overall ($30 or so) but really helpful in HOW to plan.

Hi, I'm new to homeschooling, and now have my 4 dc expecting a wonderful fun-filled day of learning, but I haven't a clue what I'm doing. DC are ages 11 turning 12 in a month, turning 10 this week, 7, and 5. My issues right now are: I have no idea how to lesson plan or how to use a lesson plan; I am not using an "open -the -box and go" curriculum, but have pieced together different things for each child; 4 different kids on 4 different levels - all want help at the same time; I'm still getting physically organized (we have a "school room" in process) so all the curriculum is sorted in boxes in our living room at the moment; I'm still trying to figure out where each kid "is" academically; I don't know how to schedule each subject and each child so that there is enough time, and so that I can give each child the direct instruction they need...I guess that's a start. I'm hoping to find some help here so I don't quit before we even get started! I'm drowning....anyone got a life preserver? Thanks!

Besides a slight difference in ages, this is EXACTLY where I'm at!!!!:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:

Thanks for all the great ideas for the younger kids. I'm going to have to come up w/ a list of activites for them, and some educational type videos or games for them too -more planning, but I'm sure it will be worth it. You gave me a great list to start with.

I wanted to share too what I have found that has helped me not have baskets of clean laundry everywhere (we are very familiar w/ living out of baskets - ugh, the long searches thru piles for matching socks and wrinkled clothes - so frustrating!) I agree it is sorting, folding, putting away that causes the problem. This summer, I decided to not mix our laundry anymore. It sounds crazy, maybe too simple, but I find it really helps. You may have more loads (and the loads will be smaller), but all I have to do is take the load out of the dryer, hand it to the person it belongs to and tell them to put it away. Since it is not the size of Mt. Rushmore - there is usually not a problem with he or she getting it done (the exception being the children that always drag there feet no matter what it is I ask). I ordered a bunch of these laundry bags that hang on the back of a door from home depot. Each person in the family has 2, one for darks and one for lights. When the bag gets full they take it to the washer, dump it in, and if he/she is old enough, start it. Then I have them load it to the dryer and empty it when done (all the kids can pretty much do that). I have 4 other laundry bags hanging on my the doors of my "laundry breezeway" (I don't have a laundry room). These bags are for sheets, towels, items that don't "belong" to a particular person. When those get full, I wash/ dry/ and have kids put them away. The last problem I had was the "stray sock basket", which was as big as a winnebago...eventually turning into several baskets. I decided to stop collecting those all together too (still getting kids on board w/ this one). I designated a "stray sock" compartment in my sock drawer - only my strays go there. As I find more strays - guess what - i make matches. :001_smile: It's like a sock dating service. :tongue_smilie: Anyway, since this has been working for me, I'm trying to transition the rest of the family to that. I don't know if any of this is helpful but I figured everyone is helping me so I would try to return the favor!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really need them!!! I have at least four overflowing baskets in my bedroom waiting to be sorted and folded and put away. This year already seems busy than past years so I think I may have to put your separate laundry plan in action soon.