Menu

How early in high school can dd take AP exams for credit/placement in college?

Anything from freshman year to senior year counts. Of course, one won't have grades/scores from senior year classes until after being admitted, but many colleges look at what one is taking. A few will also rescind admittance if senior grades aren't up to par (has happened at our high school with kids that goofed off senior year).

I know of two 8th graders who successfully passed AP exams. One took Human Geography, and the other took Latin. Both were bright and motivated, plus they had motivated, savvy moms as teachers. There are many 9th graders who take APs as well.

I am not promoting an "earlier is better" philosophy. My oldest did three APs in 12th grade, and my 2nd oldest did seven APs spread over 11th and 12th. I also have five other children who will probably do varying amounts of AP exams - or none at all. It depends on the student, his/her abilities, time, motivation, resources, and future plans.

I think for a bright, motivated student, possibly a plan such as this might work:

0-1 APs in 9th grade. Choose one of the ones thought to be easier such as Human Geography or Micro or Macro Economics, keeping in mind that he/she may not receive credit for it because future plans won't be set. Think of it as a practice run.

1-2 AP in 10th grade.

1-3 APs in 11th grade

Up to 5 APs in 12th grade.

Of course, there are students who take many APs - you'll find them on College Confidential talking about wanting to become a National or even a State AP Scholar (see AP awards here: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/scholarawards.html). These students are at the far left of the bell curve!

HTH and doesn't stress you out.

Blessings,

GardenMom

My 9th-grader is taking two AP classes this year, but I wasn't thinking in terms of credit/placement; they are just the next logical step in those areas (calculus & computer science). By college he will have had plenty of post-AP courses in those subjects, so credit/placement is probably moot.

Other subjects such as history and English are a different story. Plenty of 9th-graders (and some younger than 9th) take some APs -- see here, for example. The College Board website also has tables of data, which someone (Kathy in Richmond?) linked to a while ago.

I'm sure you know some colleges, particularly elite ones such as Caltech or Stanford, give credit for only a few -- or no -- APs, but may certainly offer placement. Another question that was raised somewhere was whether a foreign-language AP exam would "count" if taken at a young age (I think the consensus was that it depends on the college!). To me it makes sense to do APs if the student is ready for a challenge, as part of their individual course of study. As for the original question :001_smile:, as a PP said, 9th grade is fine if the student is ready!

~Laura

ETA: I don't have any APs planned for next year (10th grade). It just worked out that two APs in 9th grade were what he needed in those areas right now. So I'm not necessarily planning on more every year! I imagine he'll do AP US History in 11th ... maybe ... we'll see how it evolves :001_smile:

Edited by Laura in CA

According to the collegeboard,

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/exgrd_rep.html

Archived AP Scores

Four years after your test date, your AP scores are removed from our active computer files and archived. AP Services must receive a signed and written request, and there is a charge of $25 each time they are sent to a college. Please complete the Archived AP Scores Request Form (.pdf/48KB) and mail or fax it to the address or number indicated.

But I think one should probably ask the prospective college directly to find out whether they take scores that are older than 4 yrs.

Wow - it's good to know that scores older than four years are archived. I took a look at the form Joan linked to, and it asks for the student's AP number. That reminds me - if you have a student take APs, remind them to keep their AP booklet. They receive a booklet with the first exam taken that year, and are to take it to all the other ones. Their AP number is on that booklet. If there is a glitch in score recording (a WTM board member just had this problem this past AP season), you will have proof that your student took the exam.

Your student will receive a different AP booklet every year he/she takes an AP, and a different AP number. Save them all, along with their score reports. I am having my dc save them until they feel their education is finished.

GardenMom

• 1 month later...
Of course, there are students who take many APs - you'll find them on College Confidential talking about wanting to become a National or even a State AP Scholar (see AP awards here: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/scholarawards.html). These students are at the far left of the bell curve!

Thank you so much for this link (I click on links more easily than going and looking it up for myself at some later date).

I just found out that my ds needs to have an international university listed on the AP form to be able to qualify for the AP International scholar.

Thanks,

Joan

Hi Joan :001_smile:

I should have used the term "outside the US" but was being called away while writing the post.

For the AP purposes, it is one listed in these links.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/intad.html

These are just the ones that accept AP exams as part of the qualification requirements for applications.

Joan