Menu

How long does your 2nd grader spend on SKILL subjects-LA and math?

HappyGrace

Wondering if I am in the ballpark or not. I'm thinking it will be about 2 hours (reading aloud to me, copywork, writing across curriculum (one short item per day-3 sentences or so), CLE LA-grammar only, PR1 for spelling, Daily Editing Practice, and then our math, plus about 10 min/day computer for spelling or math games). It works out to about an hour on LA and an hour on math. The LA especially for some reason feels light to me but that may be because older dd was doing at least 4th grade work in 2nd grade, and this is for my younger boy. So just want to see what the general ballpark is for 2nd graders. Thanks!

Edited by HappyGrace

That is about what I'm anticipating this year - maybe just a bit more if I include our literature studies in that number. I don't want it to be much more than that because the attention span just isn't there. When I say literature studies I mean reading we do together and any guides etc. She reads on her own in separate time. We use the following:

Math - Miquon and Shiller

PR 2

WT 1

VP Literature

Heather

Wow--we must be slackers here. I tell my 2nd grader he can be done in an hour. He does FLL, WWE, AAS, ETC, and HWT for LA, and Singapore for math. He also reads out loud to me every day. It's probably a good thing he's not in school, he'd never have the stamina for all-day school. An hour with me is like pulling teeth!

We just finished our 5th week of 2nd grade, and 2 hours is a good amount of time for us. I don't think he would be productive for much longer.

We do SWR (30-40min), WWE (10min), FLL (2min-SWR and WWE cross over into FL so we cut this one short...I just really care about memorizing parts of speech and usage.), McGuffey Primer (He's a late reader - 15min). Math is about an hour as well...usually about 3 pages of work and a RS game if we have time.

I break his work up into 9-10am....and then 11-12. He doesn't consider history, literature or science as "school" yet, so we cover those (read alouds, oral narration, and coloring or activity) at other times.

He is doing a page a day of Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek! book 1 (5min), and that is usually done within his 2 hours. Also, he is reading to me at night (easy reader books from the library).

Wow and I thought I kill my 2nd grader with only 1 hour 30 min the most !

CLE Math -25 min (everything , incl. flash cards)

Singapore Math , workbook only , one page - 7-10 min

CLE LA (everything) - 25 min

WWE - 10 min

Cursive HW , one sentence copywork - 5 min

not sure if this should be counted , he does these for pleasure :)

bigiqkids.com - 5 min

addition racing game in the computer 5-10min

ETA : He does not read aloud to me anymore but he does summarize what he read and sometimes does a book report .

Language Arts- All of this rarely takes more than an hour. M-Th are heavier than F. I do not require any LA Sa or Su.

MCT Grammar Island (5x/ week)

SL LA2adv literature (5x/week)

SL LA2adv spelling words, copywork, activity sheet (4x/week)

MCP Word Study D (1p. 4x/week)

Handwriting Help for Kids: Create Cursive (2 or 3x/week)

poetry aloud for enjoyment (2x/week)

Math- Often takes more than an hour, but he enjoys it. We usually do a heavier load of math M-Th, only do Kumon F-Sa, and no structured math on Su.

Kumon- daily drill M-Sa

Saxon (usually 4x/week)

Key to Decimals (usually 2x/week)

extra math- currently Penrose (usually 2x/week)

So, I would say that M-Th we spend 2 to 3 hours on LA and math. Fridays we spend less than an hour on LA and less than an hour on math- maybe 1-1.5 hours total. Saturday we spend 30min or so doing Kumon.

HTH-

Mandy

My 2nd grader spends about 3 hours on LA/math each day (4 days per week, year-round schedule). That includes quick breaks here and there to jump on the trampoline or get a snack. So, it's probably only about 2 1/2 hours of actual work.

Here's what he's doing for math/LA:

CLE Math 2

R&S Phonics 2

R&S English 2

R&S Spelling 2

R&S Reading 2

HOD Emerging Readers schedule

We do English mostly orally, and the HOD schedule is just reading aloud and discussing. But everything else involves writing, and I do make him do all of it (it's also considered his handwriting practice!)

My 2nd grader spends about 3 hours on LA/math each day (4 days per week, year-round schedule). That includes quick breaks here and there to jump on the trampoline or get a snack. So, it's probably only about 2 1/2 hours of actual work.

Here's what he's doing for math/LA:

CLE Math 2

R&S Phonics 2

R&S English 2

R&S Spelling 2

R&S Reading 2

HOD Emerging Readers schedule

We do English mostly orally, and the HOD schedule is just reading aloud and discussing. But everything else involves writing, and I do make him do all of it (it's also considered his handwriting practice!)

We take breaks to jump on the trampoline too. We got the trampoline for my older girls who are competitive gymnasts but it's been the best thing ever for my wiggly youngest one. 10 minutes out there and she's back ready to work hard. Love it.

Heather

My current 2nd grader spends about 1.5 hours. We don't watch the clock, but it's an easy estimate.

15m-AAS

15m-FLL

15m-WWE

30m- Calvert Math

10-15m- copywork/handwriting (if it isn't a copywork WWE day)

My 2nd grader from last year spent closer to 2 hours and completed more work in that time. But they're two very different types of learners. If I pushed the younger to do more work or spend more time, she'd completely crack.

My 7 yo:

math: 15-30 min, depending on the lesson, plus usually another 15 minutues playing computer games to drill facts

reading: 30 min

spelling: 10 min

WWE: 10-15 min

Explode the Code: 10 min

other LA or logic: 15 min

all rough estimates, but that comes out to just under 2 hours if you look at the top end of the ranges (and 30 min. of that is independent reading time; he reads much more during the day and at bedtime, but that's his assigned school reading). Oh, he also usually spends 15-20 minutes on Hooked on Phonics Master Reader