Menu

What "should" 8th grade science look like?

rookie

My dd/13 is doing all of the following:

Apologia General Science (with labs through 36 week coop)

Chemistry (with labs in a 12 week coop)

Various Topics/5 weeks each: Environment, Geology, Marine Bio, etc. (with labs in a 30 week coop).

She is trying to do enough science work to have "completed" both 7th and 8th grade science.

Is this enough? If not, what else would you have her do to consider her finished with 8th grade science 36 weeks from now?

Generally, earth science is covered in middle school. A student may not get any other real earth science in high school if they do the typical high school sciences like biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy & physiology, advanced biology, etc.

It sounds like the co-op may touch on earth science since they are doing geology, but that is typically only a slice of the course. You didn't list all of their topics so they may be covering other earth science topics as well. She is covering a lot of different things but many of those topics are typically covered again in the high school sciences. That is a lot of science for one year. I think I would prefer her to have a better understanding of fewer topics than such a broad net that concepts end up falling through. You know your student though and know whether she can handle it to your satisfaction.

It is up to you what science sequence she takes, of course and if she covers the "typical" sciences at all, but you asked about "should". I do think a student "should" cover earth science at some point and it typically falls in the middle school years.

Disclaimer: In the spirit of full disclosure, I felt like I should mention that I am a former public high school biology teacher, so my standards for science tend to be a little more rigorous than most homeschoolers I have met.

That's alot of science, and alot of co-ops!

Wondering why she is trying to get 7th and 8th science in one year? I mean it's not as if either year goes on her transcripts.

Just curious, cuz I can't imagine having my DS12 doing all that science work PLUS his other stuff.....plus that means at least three times a week you are at co-op, out of the house, and whatever other activities your family does. Wow, busy schedule!

That's alot of science, and alot of co-ops!

Wondering why she is trying to get 7th and 8th science in one year? I mean it's not as if either year goes on her transcripts.

Just curious, cuz I can't imagine having my DS12 doing all that science work PLUS his other stuff.....plus that means at least three times a week you are at co-op, out of the house, and whatever other activities your family does. Wow, busy schedule!

She wants to. She asked to sign up for all of it. She is doing the work and learning it.

Quantity-wise, she's doing enough.

Quality-wise, I'd personally add basic Physics if you're interested in doing integrated sciences in high school as opposed to one-year chunks of Biology, Chemistry or Physics as it's usually done in the US. If not, then you're good to go.

Ester Maria,

Thank you.

I have been meaning to ask you about your integrated approach to science - what does it look like per year? How do you do it? What do you use?

Thank you for pointing out physics - what would you use for this stage?

Typical public school junior high science is Earth/Space science and Life Science. Students who are into science or college prep will often be ahead a year at this point and do Physical Science in 8th, though.

I agree that you could add more earth science.

We did space all last year. What would you do for earth?

Generally, earth science is covered in middle school. A student may not get any other real earth science in high school if they do the typical high school sciences like biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy & physiology, advanced biology, etc.

It sounds like the co-op may touch on earth science since they are doing geology, but that is typically only a slice of the course. You didn't list all of their topics so they may be covering other earth science topics as well. She is covering a lot of different things but many of those topics are typically covered again in the high school sciences. That is a lot of science for one year. I think I would prefer her to have a better understanding of fewer topics than such a broad net that concepts end up falling through. You know your student though and know whether she can handle it to your satisfaction.

It is up to you what science sequence she takes, of course and if she covers the "typical" sciences at all, but you asked about "should". I do think a student "should" cover earth science at some point and it typically falls in the middle school years.

Disclaimer: In the spirit of full disclosure, I felt like I should mention that I am a former public high school biology teacher, so my standards for science tend to be a little more rigorous than most homeschoolers I have met.

What topics would you make sure to cover for earth?

Has she met my DD by chance?

My DD is just finishing up her middle school science, last chapter this week. ;) She did the glencoe middle school series and the PLATO middle school classes with various labs. For ideas of scope and sequence you can look at the table of contents for life, earth, and physical science at their site http://www.glencoe.com/sites/michigan/teacher/science/index.html If she's covered all those topics listed then she has covered middle school science in my area.

I know at the public middle school they cover general science, earth and space, biology, and physical science

I think you may be light on space and physical science.

Can somebody please explain to me what physical science is?

I know what physics :)

Oh, and I also read a mention of "pre-physics" somewhere - what on Earth is that?

Thanks

We did space all last year. What would you do for earth?

I am doing the "God's Design for Heaven & Earth" series with my elementary kids this year. For a complete Earth Science class I would expect it to cover all the topics in all three books below. Of course, I would expect an 8th grader to go a little more in-depth than what we are doing at the elementary level. Also, I know I have linked a Christian text but even if you are using secular materials, I would expect the same topics to be covered (aside from those that are obviously CC, of course). Be sure to click on "next" at the bottom of the page to see the whole TOC.

Our Planet Earth Table of Contents

Our Universe Table of Contents

Our Weather & Water Table of Contents

HTH!

Oh, and I also read a mention of "pre-physics" somewhere - what on Earth is that?

Thanks

I would say that physical science is very similar to earth science with a bit more emphasis on the chemistry & physics aspects behind much of the concepts. Here's a link to the Apologia Physical Science text:

Exploring Creation with Physical Science Table of Contents

Ester Maria,

Thank you.

I have been meaning to ask you about your integrated approach to science - what does it look like per year? How do you do it? What do you use?

Thank you for pointing out physics - what would you use for this stage?

You have a whole topic about my science approach on the high school board - but I use Italian materials (mostly), so I can't help you with any specifics. Other members DID point to specific materials in that thread, though, so maybe some of it might work for you?

Basically, I plan cca. 80 hours yearly per each science (Bio/Chem/Physics), which ends up about 7 hours weekly in total, and then do it simultaneously, as distinct subjects, 2-3 hours weekly.

Edited by Ester Maria

Thanks

The typical physical science course is an introduction to chemistry and physics. Some course titles are even being changed to reflect that. Apologia's physical science is a bit different, I suppose, because they don't have a specific junior high life or earth science course.