Menu

If you do courses early how do you meet grad. requirements for college bound?

How's that for a long title!? :lol:

I am seeing that some are doing courses early, like Chemistry or Algebra II before high school.

One of my dds is on track to do Apologia Biology in 7th which she wants to follow with Apologia Marine Biology. Will we have trouble meeting the requirements of 3 science credits for graduation?

I get that she can just take more advanced classes in high school, but how does this work for those that take classes early? Could someone lay it out, for me?

Well, with math, for instance--

Say you take algebra in 7th, then Geom in 8th (this would be very advanced, of course)--if you only took up to Algebra 2 in high school, you could make a note on the transcript that states the prerequisites had been taken earlier. If I went that route, I'd include a list of curricula used, so they could tell that the Jr. High stuff was really high school level. And I'd only give credit for math and maybe science (if it were above Physical Science) that was taken in 8th grade (or a foreign language in 8th).

Most folks who are taking stuff early do not stop in high school, but take the advanced courses--and those have well-known prereq's, so it's assumed they took the prereq early.

Does that make sense? Sometimes a note added to the transcript makes everything more clear.

Most folks who are taking stuff early do not stop in high school, but take the advanced courses--and those have well-known prereq's, so it's assumed they took the prereq early.

:iagree:

Most colleges ds looked at wanted four years of math. If they see calculus, they don't care about algebra. So the transcript would say, for example, Alg II - 9th, Trig - 10th, Calc - 11th, differential equations - 12. You could also throw in something like Number Theory, instead of continuing on past calculus.

Your dd could take AP bio, chem, AP chem, physics, AP physics, astronomy, geology, organic chem, etc. There is no problem finding three "lab sciences" for her transcript.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Well, with math, for instance--

Say you take algebra in 7th, then Geom in 8th (this would be very advanced, of course)--if you only took up to Algebra 2 in high school, you could make a note on the transcript that states the prerequisites had been taken earlier. If I went that route, I'd include a list of curricula used, so they could tell that the Jr. High stuff was really high school level. And I'd only give credit for math and maybe science (if it were above Physical Science) that was taken in 8th grade (or a foreign language in 8th).

Does that make sense? Sometimes a note added to the transcript makes everything more clear.

We just keep going. Getting classes done early means they get to go further, not stop earlier.

HSLDA has an article and forms about how to include high school credits completed in 8th. From what I understand based on IRL local folks, some colleges/universities are prickly about accepting high school work in Jr. High. Talking with reps at the last conference I attended, I know they have a problem with advancing science faster than advancing math. For instance, having a 9th grader doing chemistry and pr-algebra at the same time would put the math/science sequence "off". I'm told there is also some problems using jr high material and counting it for high work. For instance, BJU life science, it is a challenging course and perhaps even high school level work, but it is listed as 7th grade by the publisher. One of our co-op families did not do a traditional science sequence and her dc had no trouble with university admission. They did Earth Science, Chemistry, Environmental Science, and Life Science.

Personally, we did Physical Science in 8th, doing Biology in 9th, plan on Chemistry in 10th, something else (maybe Apologia marine or advanced chem) in 11th, and Physics in 12th. That will give her 5 high school science credits. Back in the dark ages :), my college prep school allowed for this sequence so I could graduate high school with 5 math and 5 science credits.

Any high school classes will be on dd's transcript regardless of when they were taken. Some people list courses by year taken, and others list them by subject heading. We'll be doing the latter. In this way, when classes are taken isn't an issue, and all high school texts completed with receive high school credit. :)

Getting a head start on the sciences is a great idea. It will allow for more advanced sciences to be done in high school.

Any high school classes will be on dd's transcript regardless of when they were taken. Some people list courses by year taken' date=' and others list them by subject heading. We'll be doing the latter. In this way, when classes are taken isn't an issue, and all high school texts completed with receive high school credit. :)

Getting a head start on the sciences is a great idea. It will allow for more advanced sciences to be done in high school.[/quote']

I think doing a subject heading transcript was acceptable in the past. But the colleges we looked at recently ask for the transcripts to list the courses taken in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. They are very specific even stating that they are only interested in the course work the student did in the 4 years prior to graduation. So make sure you can do a transcript both ways...unless you know in advance where your student will be going to school and that a subject heading transcript will be acceptable.

How's that for a long title!? :lol:

I am seeing that some are doing courses early, like Chemistry or Algebra II before high school.

One of my dds is on track to do Apologia Biology in 7th which she wants to follow with Apologia Marine Biology. Will we have trouble meeting the requirements of 3 science credits for graduation?

I get that she can just take more advanced classes in high school, but how does this work for those that take classes early? Could someone lay it out, for me?

It depends on what the goal is... Most high schoolers keep going on to more advanced and specialized courses.

For my Ds... graduating early and attending college as a full time college student sooner is the goal. He wants to graduate end of 10th grade. But it is what he wants. I expect that he won't finish in time to graduate end of 10th grade... but he difinitely will graduate mid or end of 11th grade.

For math it could look like this: (4-5 credits)

8th grade: Algebra I

9th grade: Algebra 2 and Geometry

10th grade precalculus

11th grade calculus (unless he graduates end of 10th grade)

For science it could look like this: (5+ credits)

9th grade: 1/2 credit in Aerospace, 1/2 credit in Geology, 1/2 credit Intro to Chemistry.

10th grade: Advanced Chemistry, Life Science, 1/2 credit Astronomy, 1/2 credit Intro to Physics.

Next summer or 11th grade: Environmental Science

11th grade: Advanced Physics, and more Astronomy and Geology.

He will be doing CLEP, AP, or SAT subject tests for Precalculus, Natural Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science A, Physics B, World History, U.S. History, Macro or Microeconomics, English, American Government.

It really depends on him... if he works hard enough.

Edited by AnitaMcC

Since I knew that y first two were accelerated in ath but did not necessarily want to do ore than calc, I ade sure that Algebra was finished in the su er and counted for ninth. I did this since I wasn't sure these kids would do that well in ath to go past pre-Calc in ho eschool. One didn't. Second will get a se ester of Calc. Third will get at least a year of it.

I did the sa e with third's science. A science she started in iddle school is being finished very soon and will count in ninth grade credits.

I've seen 3 types of families who do this. The first is the family that isn't overly academic in its requirements and is in a "just get it done" mode. They typically have the younger students work with their high school level siblings and claim that the younger students did the high school level work early. Several years ago I helped a mother develop transcript for her son. She claimed that in 6th grade he did a high school level text with his older sister (9th) using BJU history. She felt he met the high school graduation requirement for this particular history course. I had this student in several of my high school co-op classes. He could not write an essay, had reading comprehension issues, and various other challenges. He may have read the text and participated in discussion, but, IMO, he did not complete a high school level course because he was developmentally not ready for such a course. She did state that she needed to get the high school stuff done so that he could work during the high school years and not be bound by so much school work. This young man has gone to CC and just transferred to a 4 year university. He has picked himself up, made goals, and is looking to complete them. He had extra hurdles, but he's going to be fine.

The second type of family is highly academic in their educational goals. Their students are usually gifted and developmentally ready for higher level thinking and processing. These students actually *do* the work of a high schooler. They move on to higher levels through high school. They don't stop taking science, they just take different ones. The ones I know move on to dual enrollment for the sciences.

The third is the family who isn't sure how it all works. They will get advice like, "hey, get the high school level work done early. There's no reason to use a junior high level text when the same stuff is just repeated in high school. By doing this you can take it easy during high school." These are usually the ones who realize there might be a problem with this approach when they begin to prepare the transcript and interview for colleges. Sometimes there is a problem, sometimes there isn't - it all depends on the college. Most of those I know who have used this approach move into the Community College scene intending to transfer after 2 years. This usually fixes any problems them may have with their transcripts.

Most of the people I know who have done high school level work early *and* intend for their students to move on to a 4 year university hoping for scholarships, etc., typically just have the student move on to more advanced work in high school. There is nothing wrong with doing high school level science early *if the student is actually working as a typical high schooler*, but the colleges want to see that that level of academic advancement continues through high school. Some of the schools we are looking at currently are asking for the courses my senior intends to take in the spring semester. They indicate that they want to see that the student isn't taking an easy semester but is looking for a challenge.

The problem, IMO, with trying to do high school work early is the motivation. It seems that the students/and or parents just want the courses completed and checked off rather than that the student is capable and will still fulfill the high school standards (4 maths, 3 sciences, etc.). This is the reality in my neck of the woods.

Edited by CynthiaOK

... But the colleges we looked at recently ask for the transcripts to list the courses taken in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. They are very specific even stating that they are only interested in the course work the student did in the 4 years prior to graduation. So make sure you can do a transcript both ways...unless you know in advance where your student will be going to school and that a subject heading transcript will be acceptable.

This was our experience also; it's important to know this when planning ahead.

Regards,

Kareni

Since I knew that y first two were accelerated in ath but did not necessarily want to do ore than calc, I ade sure that Algebra was finished in the su er and counted for ninth. I did this since I wasn't sure these kids would do that well in ath to go past pre-Calc in ho eschool. One didn't. Second will get a se ester of Calc. Third will get at least a year of it.

I did the sa e with third's science. A science she started in iddle school is being finished very soon and will count in ninth grade credits.

Took me a while to see your M is missing! lol

I think doing a subject heading transcript was acceptable in the past. But the colleges we looked at recently ask for the transcripts to list the courses taken in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. They are very specific even stating that they are only interested in the course work the student did in the 4 years prior to graduation. So make sure you can do a transcript both ways...unless you know in advance where your student will be going to school and that a subject heading transcript will be acceptable. __________________

Ds's transcript this past year was by subject, not year.

(I still agree that they want the last four years of school to demonstrate academic progression, but the format doesn't really matter.)

Ds's transcript this past year was by subject, not year.

(I still agree that they want the last four years of school to demonstrate academic progression, but the format doesn't really matter.)

So you put the last 4 years in a "subject" format? I would think that would be acceptable as well. The moms I've spoken with who use the subject format are typically using it in order to place high school level subjects completed before high school on the transcript. But if that isn't the motivation, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

DS is accelerated in math and science, and I like alternating "regular" years (Geometry, Biology) with "interesting" years (Discrete Math, Marine Biology). Not that "interesting" is any easier, but that it leaves some of the regular stuff for later and we won't end up with an "all interesting" transcript. LOL!

I agree with something CynthiaOK said above, too, that if you're claiming high school credit early, you should maintain that level of challenge through the rest of high school. Of course that also means that you won't really need the earlier credits -- you'll have good courses in the last four years when she graduates, and the earlier stuff can be included or not as the college prefers.

The other thing I'd say about early courses and transcripts (with the caveat that we're not at the college part yet, but only that this has been a significant detail in convincing other third parties of his working level), is maintaining a portfolio of outside assessments of one kind or another. For math, that has been test scores, competitions, and outside classes. For science it has been science fairs and research competitions. Sooner or later it's going to be outside mentorships. (I suspect that's going to hit before we're done with marine biology.) In the humanities you could do the various mythology and language competitive exams, and maybe submit writings for appropriate publications. I'm sure there are others in that direction that I've never looked into...

Basically my standards for what constitutes high school level for a younger kid are much higher than what I would have for a regular high school aged kid. The more extreme your claim of acceleration, the more extreme your evidence is going to need to be.