Menu

A Slight Library Rant for those living in our area.

Return those books WE need for school. Thank you.

LOL - sorry - just frustrating that when you rely on the library system for a lot of the books we need, and someone is running ahead of us, gathering ALL those books and grabbing them, and we're left with nothing. Just a small rant :P

And, while you are at it don't keep them checked for the whole year. I hate it when I need the book now only to find out that you checked it out so you would have it ready in March. Please, if you need it for that long, go buy a copy. The library is for sharing books, not hoarding them.

I hate that...... I mean, really why does one need to take ALL 10 books on a subject for the full 3 weeks they are allowed? Grrr............... I try not to take more than 2-3 a week on a subject, unless there are HUGE amounts of books on the subject, then I'll take more..... I might go every week and trade them out, if I can..... I totally get where you are coming from!

I hate that...... I mean, really why does one need to take ALL 10 books on a subject for the full 3 weeks they are allowed? Grrr............... I try not to take more than 2-3 a week on a subject, unless there are HUGE amounts of books on the subject, then I'll take more..... I might go every week and trade them out, if I can..... I totally get where you are coming from!

Our library says that you can't take more than 4 books from a Dewey Decimal Number. But, that is per card. If you have a family with 4 cards, that means they can effectively check out all 16 books in that Dewey number. Since they can then renew then up to 4 times, that means they can also keep all 16 books for 3 months. I might be able to hold off on a topic for a week or 2, but not 3 months :glare:

Goodness, reminds me of the year that a bunch of us from one area (mostly in one particular library system) all decided to do TOG as a group, including a co-op. My kids were at least a week behind everyone else, because of the library grabs of the other ladies. Granted, some of the well to do ladies decided to buy every book, some had the money but were thrifty and used the library, and then there was our family that was barely able to buy TOG and was fully COUNTING ON the ideal that we could use the library system.

That would be so frustrating!! Can you request (petition? lol) that the library tweak its lending policy a bit?

For example, in our library system, with our educator's library card, we don't rack up fines and can renew *UNTIL* someone puts a hold on the book we have. Once they do, we get it until that last renewal is up and we have to return it.

It may not be that simple, I'm sure...maybe you could put a gentle notice up on the bulletin board with attention to other homeschoolers/teachers and explain what kind of courtesy in borrowing would be helpful to all?

In our system, you cannot renew a book if someone has requested it.

IOW, if I have WTM checked out and you have it on request, I can't renew it.

I can't see a problem with me renewing books in our system. If someone wants the book, request it.

Limit is 9 weeks -- in 3 week increments.

Library issues are part of the reason why we have changed curriculums. This year we are doing BJU textbooks all the way. I spent the last 4 years trying to use living books and book rich curriculums. We never had enough money to buy all the books needed for the units (even used by the time you pay shipping on all of them) and I could never get the next books needed form the library because someone else was also using it for the same curriculum. As much as I like Beautiful Feet, Sonlight, and others, we wil likely never use them again because I spend way more time trying to acquire books than I do teaching from them. Our library was very willing to buy more copies of more popular books in high demand after we explained why we were wanting them (they try to be very homeschool friendly), but that didn't help me much. The longer check out allowances started after a homeschooler asked for it as well. A great bonus for those who can actually get their name on the top of the list and get the books first....

I can't see a problem with me renewing books in our system. If someone wants the book, request it.

This is how it is for us, but with only 6 weeks instead of 9. But that still puts us 3 weeks behind schedule, assuming there aren't others who have holds waiting, as well. It's a smaller system, so there aren't always multiple copies of some basic books. And it's partly my fault for waiting til the last minute, etc. But if there are quite a few of us in approximately the same spot..we'll be running into this all year. I could just leap ahead a time period..and backtrack LOL

Sorry! I have a book that was due this week and there are 5 requests on it. I only need to use it one more week so I don't want to return it and buy it for a few chapters though-especially since I would be done with this one before a new one arrived. (NOt to mention -it's not that great IMHO). Our library has 3 copies and two of us have it out and I can't renew it because it has so many requests. I told the librarian today that they need to order multiple books of those that are in homeschool materials.

I started school in July so that I wouldn't have to be on same schedule as other TOG users or Ambleside users. I suspect many of these holds are those getting it early. I also bought most of my books this year -this was only one that is more than 3 weeks that I didn't buy because I was hoping it would turn up used at my homeschool store.

I've been on the other side too. I had to make due with a not so good biography this year instead of the one I wanted. THere is usually something I need to substitute every week and I am often last ordering something last minute because every book is on hold.

Oh and I'm one of those miserable people who order a lot of books on same subject. I can't always tell from Amazon whether they will work or not, so I order and then look over them when I get them and return everything I don't want ASAP. I look over my books online every week and if there are people holding for a book that we are using, I get it back.

This is what ours does too. I usually buy up books ahead of time that I know I will need for more than a month and then borrow the others.

Return those books WE need for school. Thank you.

LOL - sorry - just frustrating that when you rely on the library system for a lot of the books we need, and someone is running ahead of us, gathering ALL those books and grabbing them, and we're left with nothing. Just a small rant :P

interlibrary loan.