Menu

Stressed out kiddo/ schedule, I push too hard

Mesa

I haven't read all the replies -- sorry about that, but I wanted to say that we are loving CLE for Math & will be trying CLE LA this year too, which includes grammar, handwriting, and spelling together. You could keep the writing program you like because CLE writing isn't really included in the LA (without using their separate book On Teaching Writing).

Ok, now I have read all the replies. :-) I just wanted to add that CLE (Christian Light Education) is a worktext program, so your ds would rarely have to rewrite/copy to solve math problems. By Ellie's definition, I think it would be incremental (?) -- new concepts are introduced a little at a time each day, building on the previous days, and then the rest of the lesson is review of previous concepts so there is no time to forget. It's been great for my ds!

The handwriting included in CLE LA is a short verse or the spelling word list, and students use their own paper (vs. space in the worktext). So, he could use his HWT paper, if it helps. Just having one book to open for grammar, handwriting, and spelling saves time and seems so much easier than closing and opening separate ones -- KWIM?

As someone who went to a Christian ACE school for 3rd-6th grades, I never expected to use anything resembling workbooks for my own kids. However, I've been very surprised by the strengths of these CLE programs!

My 11 yo has had piano and guitar for a couple of years now and will continue. Music is his thing, though. Maybe he could go and half speed in one or both so he can continue?

I have an Aspie and have to be very careful not to overload her. It's difficult because she wants a challenge, but can't be too challenged (especially in workload) because that causes meltdowns.

BJU science dvd, Apoloigia science (he likes this, and does it on his own)

Like the others have said, I'd do one or the other. Since he likes Apologia, I'd have him keep doing that and drop the other unless he just desperately wants both. My Aspie is a science-nut, but I think doing complete science programs at the same time would have driven her nuts.

BJU English dvd(mostly for grammar, but we use all of it)

Phonics Road to Reading lvl 1

IEW

Personally, out of all of this, I would either do just the complete BJU English program or do seperate programs for writing and spelling. Since he has handwriting issues (my dd does too, but not as bad), you might want to try a spelling program that is done on the computer. Then reversals won't be an issue (I did this for my dyslexic dd for a long while). I used Sequential Spelling for her wordlists, but had her do the spelling tests on http://www.spellingcity.com . I cut the lists down to just 10-15 words/day. I drew a line in the book where we stopped and we just continued down the list from there. When a word wasn't in the spelling city database, I just dropped it. IEW has been a fantastic program for my Aspie. It would probably be easiest for your ds to do it on the computer. I would try to disconnect all of his subjects from the physical act of handwriting as far as possible. You should also look at Ginger software. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is in the process of setting up another group buy for it. This is a spellchecker and grammar checker designed for dyslexics. This will be ideal for him to use while he is writing on the computer. Spellcheck has helped my dd more than a lot of spelling programs.

BJU Reading dvd

Sonlight history and reading (he loves to read)

Since you already own it and have indicated that he's doing it by choice rather than anything else, I would simply drop the BJU Reading dvd from your schedule and tell him he is welcome to do it on his own, but it's no longer part of school. It's strictly free-choice.

MUS Epsilon and Saxon math 6/5 (we tried BJU math, but it was far too easy for him.)

That's a lot. I think the writing in Saxon would be very hard for him. Have you thought about maybe using Teaching Textbooks? I haven't used the program myself, but I have seen good reviews of it. Another option at this level would be aleks, but I don't like the instruction in that program. For a completely different option that still combines programs, how about using MUS Epsilon as his main program and then having him work in aleks for 15-20 minutes/day. That would take care of review, but keep MUS as his main program (since you've indicated that the instruction in MUS is exactly what he needs).

HWT (he has atrocious penmanship, we cannot drop this subject)

At this point I think you're beating a dead horse. My dd can write legibly if she's careful to write slowly. That's as good as it's ever going to get. Make sure that you work on typing every day. That's the important skill for your ds.

Typing (havent gotten to it, in months)

This is one that you have to make sure to get to. Eventually you can drop it as a subject because he'll know how to type and doing most of his work on the computer will keep him in practice. My dd didn't do well with any of the computer typing programs because they had both speed and accuracy requirements to advance to the next level. I had to buy an old-fashioned typing book for her to work through. I'll link what I used below:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Joan-Duffy/dp/0838813453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281803689&sr=8-1

Spanish (havent gotten to this in weeks)

I would drop this entirely. Don't bother with another language at this point when you are already overloaded. It can always be added back in 8th or 9th grade.

Piano

Guitar

My youngest is taking private guitar lessons with an instructor and working on piano with me. She mostly does the piano on her own and comes to me when she's ready to move on in her book. I've told her that she can drop piano entirely any time she wants (she LOVES guitar), but she doesn't want to do that.

Spiral doesn't go over the same concepts over and over. Spiral teaches some, goes to the next concept, then to the next, then comes back to the first, then to the next, then to the next. Spiral. Saxon teaches a little about about a new concept then has more teaching on previous concepts; the next lesson has a little more about the new concept, then does previous concepts; the next lesson focuses on the new concept with just some of previous topics; the next lesson introduces a little bitty bit of a new concept, mostly the last concept, some of previous concepts. See?

Pick one. He will be fine either way. Both is too much. Really. If you (or he) were not feeling overwhelmed, we wouldn't be having this conversation, right? So pick one. It will be fine.

Phonics Road is very teacher directed, isn't it? Possibly, if you think he needs something specific for spelling, you could choose something else for spelling, like BJUP, or Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. Or, if you want it to be your full language program, just do it now and drop IEW and BJUP's grammar/comp and reading.

Well, you said he's feeling stressed out. That means that even though he "enjoys" what he's doing, something has to change.

When you ask for advice because what you're doing is not working, yet you argue in favor of keeping everything the same, well, I have to ask what the point was in your asking in the first place.

:confused:

You know what, forget it. I've changed up things and thanked everyone who has offered sincere, friendly advice. I tried to explain to you the Science and the Reading are not scheduled. He is doing those on his own. In fact I dont even have my sonlight IG out, my son just grabs the books as he sees fit. I agreed with you something with math and LA has to change. Dont come here saying I ask for advice and then ignore it, thats untrue and very hurtful.

Have you even read this entire thread? I JUST commented last night before going to bed, on everything I was changing.

Maybe you mean well... but all I'm getting from your post has been hurt feelings.

Edited by Mesa

Ok, now I have read all the replies. :-) I just wanted to add that CLE (Christian Light Education) is a worktext program, so your ds would rarely have to rewrite/copy to solve math problems. By Ellie's definition, I think it would be incremental (?) -- new concepts are introduced a little at a time each day, building on the previous days, and then the rest of the lesson is review of previous concepts so there is no time to forget. It's been great for my ds!

The handwriting included in CLE LA is a short verse or the spelling word list, and students use their own paper (vs. space in the worktext). So, he could use his HWT paper, if it helps. Just having one book to open for grammar, handwriting, and spelling saves time and seems so much easier than closing and opening separate ones -- KWIM?

As someone who went to a Christian ACE school for 3rd-6th grades, I never expected to use anything resembling workbooks for my own kids. However, I've been very surprised by the strengths of these CLE programs!

My 11 yo has had piano and guitar for a couple of years now and will continue. Music is his thing, though. Maybe he could go and half speed in one or both so he can continue?

Thank you. Yes, going half paced is a great idea. I am not musical at all, so I've let my son take the lead here.

I have an Aspie and have to be very careful not to overload her. It's difficult because she wants a challenge, but can't be too challenged (especially in workload) because that causes meltdowns.

Like the others have said, I'd do one or the other. Since he likes Apologia, I'd have him keep doing that and drop the other unless he just desperately wants both. My Aspie is a science-nut, but I think doing complete science programs at the same time would have driven her nuts.

Phonics Road to Reading lvl 1

IEW

Personally, out of all of this, I would either do just the complete BJU English program or do seperate programs for writing and spelling. Since he has handwriting issues (my dd does too, but not as bad), you might want to try a spelling program that is done on the computer. Then reversals won't be an issue (I did this for my dyslexic dd for a long while). I used Sequential Spelling for her wordlists, but had her do the spelling tests on http://www.spellingcity.com . I cut the lists down to just 10-15 words/day. I drew a line in the book where we stopped and we just continued down the list from there. When a word wasn't in the spelling city database, I just dropped it. IEW has been a fantastic program for my Aspie. It would probably be easiest for your ds to do it on the computer. I would try to disconnect all of his subjects from the physical act of handwriting as far as possible. You should also look at Ginger software. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is in the process of setting up another group buy for it. This is a spellchecker and grammar checker designed for dyslexics. This will be ideal for him to use while he is writing on the computer. Spellcheck has helped my dd more than a lot of spelling programs.

BJU Reading dvd

Since you already own it and have indicated that he's doing it by choice rather than anything else, I would simply drop the BJU Reading dvd from your schedule and tell him he is welcome to do it on his own, but it's no longer part of school. It's strictly free-choice.

MUS Epsilon and Saxon math 6/5 (we tried BJU math, but it was far too easy for him.)

That's a lot. I think the writing in Saxon would be very hard for him. Have you thought about maybe using Teaching Textbooks? I haven't used the program myself, but I have seen good reviews of it. Another option at this level would be aleks, but I don't like the instruction in that program. For a completely different option that still combines programs, how about using MUS Epsilon as his main program and then having him work in aleks for 15-20 minutes/day. That would take care of review, but keep MUS as his main program (since you've indicated that the instruction in MUS is exactly what he needs).

At this point I think you're beating a dead horse. My dd can write legibly if she's careful to write slowly. That's as good as it's ever going to get. Make sure that you work on typing every day. That's the important skill for your ds.

This is one that you have to make sure to get to. Eventually you can drop it as a subject because he'll know how to type and doing most of his work on the computer will keep him in practice. My dd didn't do well with any of the computer typing programs because they had both speed and accuracy requirements to advance to the next level. I had to buy an old-fashioned typing book for her to work through. I'll link what I used below:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Joan-Duffy/dp/0838813453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281803689&sr=8-1

I would drop this entirely. Don't bother with another language at this point when you are already overloaded. It can always be added back in 8th or 9th grade.

Piano

Guitar

My youngest is taking private guitar lessons with an instructor and working on piano with me. She mostly does the piano on her own and comes to me when she's ready to move on in her book. I've told her that she can drop piano entirely any time she wants (she LOVES guitar), but she doesn't want to do that.

I agree, thank you for your post. The reading and science were not on his schedule, but my son does do them daily.. which adds to our busy day. (I even catch ds reading at midnight!) I'm just going to have to put my foot down and tell him to choose one. I just feel guilty telling him to not do something he likes.

Math is/was a problem. I've chosen MUS and I'll throw in a review worksheet here and there. My ds still has trouble with borrowing. We are going to do all problems on the whiteboard, which will be a HUGE burden off my ds.

LA another problem area. I really wanted to try PR, but with starting at level 1 I just couldnt see using it as a stand alone program right now. For those of you familiar ith it, you'll understand what I'm saying. Level 1 is for beginning readers. I'm dropping it for now.

IEW hasnt been started yet, I was just stressing over HOW to add it in lol. I'll shelve that too for a bit.

BJU I'll stick with it because my son loves the silly videos... and, because I've paid for an entire dvd program and I've dropped all but 2-3 subjects.

Handwriting and typing both may have been overkill too, but I assumed all kids did both. I'm now dropping handwriting, and will start typing again.

Thank you all for your kind words.

My ds still has trouble with borrowing. We are going to do all problems on the whiteboard, which will be a HUGE burden off my ds.

You could also bring in some manipulatives with this. Something like the place value discs Singapore uses with the place value chart. Have him do the moving of the discs while you write the problem on the whiteboard. Khan Academy (:thumbup1:) has some nice youtube vids to demonstrate the use of these now. Here's one:

and printable discs here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/printables/printablesmath.html

Does he have a small whiteboard of his own?

You could also bring in some manipulatives with this. Something like the place value discs Singapore uses with the place value chart. Have him do the moving of the discs while you write the problem on the whiteboard. Khan Academy (:thumbup1:) has some nice youtube vids to demonstrate the use of these now. Here's one:

and printable discs here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/printables/printablesmath.html

Does he have a small whiteboard of his own?

Thank you for those links. His problem comes with problems like 300-34. Instead of making one of the zeros into a 9 (since you have to borrow twice) he just keeps it a 10. Borrowing has always been problematic for him, so I'd like to keep it fresh in his mind so he doesnt lose ground here.

I'm off to check out those links.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Jackie, I think you are doing a great job. You are humbly evaluating, listening to all advice, and adapting really quickly. You also have a really good sense of what your son enjoys and what he needs.

I'm glad you posted for help, and I hope things start going more smoothly!

(Some of my children are giving themselves their own education through library books and the computer. If I were braver, I'd "unschool" and just let them go, because they really do very well at choosing a variety of skills and subjects. Since I can't quite bring myself to relinquish that control, I try to leave plenty of time in the day after my required lessons. Every day. Its a good balance for us.)

Jackie, I think you are doing a great job. You are humbly evaluating, listening to all advice, and adapting really quickly. You also have a really good sense of what your son enjoys and what he needs.

I'm glad you posted for help, and I hope things start going more smoothly!

(Some of my children are giving themselves their own education through library books and the computer. If I were braver, I'd "unschool" and just let them go, because they really do very well at choosing a variety of skills and subjects. Since I can't quite bring myself to relinquish that control, I try to leave plenty of time in the day after my required lessons. Every day. Its a good balance for us.)

Thank you so much, thats just what I needed to hear.

You know what? Unschooling sure sounds nice, especially for Science and History. I've never assigned worksheets, or tests for science and history. I've never felt the need, he learns plenty through reading and enjoying these subjects. Sometimes we have to tell my ds to go to bed at night because it will be past midnight and he's wide awake reading a good book. I could probably have a bookshelf for science, like the one for History, and then just "turn him loose!" This will have to be AFTER we do our assigned lessons for the day, otherwise we'll be in the same boat we were in before!

Edited by Mesa

He does even or odds in Saxon depending on the lesson number. It is a lot of work. MUS only takes him about about 10-20 min to complete.

I dont plan on sticking with saxon, I'd like to switch to Video Text once my ds is able to. (and only Video Text)

I'm leaning towards just doing MUS. I could add in a worksheet for review every once in a while, to help him review the tougher concepts.

You said somewhere in this thread that he didn't retain the MUS lessons. If it is only taking 10-20 minutes to complete, is he also doing a review worksheet every day? I found that the review sheets were very helpful. Also there is a book from Evan Moor called Daily Math Practice. It's just 5 problems of review each day. It might be less overwhelming than Saxon and it's also a workbook format so it won't involve copying problems.

You said somewhere in this thread that he didn't retain the MUS lessons. If it is only taking 10-20 minutes to complete, is he also doing a review worksheet every day? I found that the review sheets were very helpful. Also there is a book from Evan Moor called Daily Math Practice. It's just 5 problems of review each day. It might be less overwhelming than Saxon and it's also a workbook format so it won't involve copying problems.

He does not retain with MUS, he seems to forget past problems before they review them in MUS. However he does learn well with MUS, and the extra little helps with learning multiplication, have "sold" me on MUS. I dont want to ditch this curriculum all together.

I havent looked into Daily Math Practice, I'll check it out at our local teachers supply store. Thank you for that suggestion, it might be just what we are needing. I would review the problems in Saxon and make sure my ds got a little of each problem to do, in hopes it would be a nice review, without the overkill.... but it was still too much. I also let him write in his textbook, so he wouldnt have to write everything by hand. There just wasnt enough room for him though.

He does not retain with MUS, he seems to forget past problems before they review them in MUS. However he does learn well with MUS, and the extra little helps with learning multiplication, have "sold" me on MUS. I dont want to ditch this curriculum all together.

I havent looked into Daily Math Practice, I'll check it out at our local teachers supply store.

There are extensive samples at the Evan Moor website if you want to check it out right away.

I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible. I have a 10yr old son who is a bright yet reluctant learner when it comes to anything besides reading, and science related studies. He needs repetition, especially with grammar and math. He is a very poor writer... probably "behind grade level."

I've become a "pusher' with him and I see the anxiety he has when it comes to doing his school work. I wonder if I'm expecting too much. I'd like for his school day to be short and sweet. Our days have been anything but.

Please help me with his schedule and curricula.

This is what I have him doing.

BJU Reading dvd

Phonics Road to Reading lvl 1 (I'd like to see if this works for him and then use it as a stand alone program. I'd like to do Latin Road eventually. I'm hesitant to drop BJU English until I know he can learn from this method alone.)

IEW (havent started it yet, I loved it last year. I'm thinking about dropping the writing portion in BJU and just use IEW.)

Piano

Guitar

With a child like this, I would probably take a look at how i could make all of his areas of study point back to science in some way. rather than spanish, latin (for science, you know?), history--famous scientists, how scientific discoveries shape culture and history, etc. have him make scientific drawings which have to be labeled in very neat penmanship, copywork and writing from topics and books that interest him, and presto, before you know it, he's only doing "one subject" and getting everything on the list done.

With a child like this, I would probably take a look at how i could make all of his areas of study point back to science in some way. rather than spanish, latin (for science, you know?), history--famous scientists, how scientific discoveries shape culture and history, etc. have him make scientific drawings which have to be labeled in very neat penmanship, copywork and writing from topics and books that interest him, and presto, before you know it, he's only doing "one subject" and getting everything on the list done.

LOL, I like your style. Are there any ready made products I could look into? Especially with LA, I'm just not confident in my own understanding of language to feel comfortable with taking on something like that.

I didn't make it through the whole thread, so I may be repeating what others have said but here is my .02 cents anyway! LOL

I too have a bright 10yo reluctant learner. She struggles in spelling and was completely math phobic. Like...broke into tears *looking* at a math page that looks hard, not actually even trying to complete it.

I decided to take her back to the basics, build a strong foundation in materials that work with her and we'll build on that in middle school. A strong foundation for high school is more important to me in the long run than "grade level work" poorly done or frustrating her right now.

We are also using PR level 1 at a very accelerated pace. We'll be done in a couple of weeks(hopefully) We have been doing about a 2-3 weeks of work / week, so we'll finish it quickly. I also had considered adding "The Bridge" so she would be getting more grammar, but then decided if she can't spell what she wants to write, then mechanics don't really matter yet!! I have been watching the video's to level 2 and I can't wait to get started. It is going to be an awesome intro to the mechanics of writing. For the record, she has even said that she is "getting" the way words work and are spelled and she doesn't ask me every 5 min. how to spell something anymore. PR has become such a blessing to us and I will use it with all my other children from the get go to eliminate the need to back track with my other kiddo's!! I encourage you to stick with it so your son can get that strong foundation in LA...then he'll be able to write whatever he wants when he's in high school and those skills he needs are really needed.

We are also using MUS *by itself*. I tried to add another program because I thought she needed more "understanding" and it backfired big time. She is getting a very solid understanding of math with MUS, enjoys doing it and is making excellent progress, so we will stay with it.

I just wanted to encourage you that working on the basics to build a strong foundation *now* will mean that your son will be where he needs to be later and will have a much better attitude about learning as well!

I have nothing constructive to add (any suggestions I might have had have been more than covered), but I just wanted to say good for you for not only recognizing there is a problem, but also for having the courage/will to make wholesale changes in your routine and outlook to help solve it.

:grouphug:

I didn't make it through the whole thread, so I may be repeating what others have said but here is my .02 cents anyway! LOL

I too have a bright 10yo reluctant learner. She struggles in spelling and was completely math phobic. Like...broke into tears *looking* at a math page that looks hard, not actually even trying to complete it.

I decided to take her back to the basics, build a strong foundation in materials that work with her and we'll build on that in middle school. A strong foundation for high school is more important to me in the long run than "grade level work" poorly done or frustrating her right now.

We are also using PR level 1 at a very accelerated pace. We'll be done in a couple of weeks(hopefully) We have been doing about a 2-3 weeks of work / week, so we'll finish it quickly. I also had considered adding "The Bridge" so she would be getting more grammar, but then decided if she can't spell what she wants to write, then mechanics don't really matter yet!! I have been watching the video's to level 2 and I can't wait to get started. It is going to be an awesome intro to the mechanics of writing. For the record, she has even said that she is "getting" the way words work and are spelled and she doesn't ask me every 5 min. how to spell something anymore. PR has become such a blessing to us and I will use it with all my other children from the get go to eliminate the need to back track with my other kiddo's!! I encourage you to stick with it so your son can get that strong foundation in LA...then he'll be able to write whatever he wants when he's in high school and those skills he needs are really needed.

We are also using MUS *by itself*. I tried to add another program because I thought she needed more "understanding" and it backfired big time. She is getting a very solid understanding of math with MUS, enjoys doing it and is making excellent progress, so we will stay with it.

I just wanted to encourage you that working on the basics to build a strong foundation *now* will mean that your son will be where he needs to be later and will have a much better attitude about learning as well!

I know it! I LOVE LOVE LOVE what I've seen so far with PR 1, and getting into PR 2 was really getting me excited. I'm waivering now... stick with BJU or just forget about it and only do PR 1 right now? I know PR 1 is too easy, but it wont be in a few more months once when we get into PR 2, or maybe when we get into PR 3. Thankfully I'll be able to postpone school while I sort through this some more.

Cursive helps with dyslexia because all the letters move from left to right and you don't pick up your pencil when you write them.

I hope it gets better and keep up the good work.

Ashley

:grouphug:

I have to agree with this. My son has been able to become much more fluent in cursive than he ever was in print. He used print for 5 years and has only used cursive for one, so that's saying a lot.

The only disappointment I had is that he does still make reversals. Instead of reversing "b"s and "d"s like he did in print, he now has begun to reverse his "f"s and "j"s in cursive. Still, I feel he has a much better shot at clear written communication with cursive over print. I wish I had started him in cursive to begin with and had not bothered with print. His handwriting is not pretty, but it is legible.

Lisa

LOL, I like your style. Are there any ready made products I could look into? Especially with LA, I'm just not confident in my own understanding of language to feel comfortable with taking on something like that.

A few things come to mind. We are using Beautiful Feet, History of Science. We add it into history where the scientist comes in so that it isn't really a seperate program for us and our library carries many of the supplemental books (with science we tend to use them all). One things I like is that many of the books have a suggestion for some kind of written reflection. There are also suggestions in the TE for drawings and notes in a notebook. We just started this but I am using the fact that we can take the notebook to staples and have it made into a book when it's done as incentive for my DD to draw neatly and to the best of her ability with labels and captions and the rest on the word processor if she chooses.

You might also look at the KOGs that go with RS4K, Connections for Language, or something like that. Most are latin spelling and related vocabulary as it ties to a particular aspect of science. You wouldn't necessarily need the whole curriculum. I believe you can view the samples online. Latin bases for vocabulary carry over into so much of language.

Just keep in mind you are cutting down. ;)

Cutting down... right lol. I'd better not look into anything until we are finish BJU. I know I'll buy something and try adding it in. Hopefully next year we can do an entire curric based on science. Now that would really inspire my "science boy."

My ds started cursive HWT last year, but he still prints in his daily writing.

Hahaha I love that guys voice. "686 cookies"

Thank you for those links.

I've never seen that website, it's a hidden treasure!

Mr. Khan is awesome!

My dd heard that and had to come see what I was watching. ("What's this about cookies??") :lol: