Menu

Where to get used kitchen cabinets for cheap/free??

Anybody have any brilliant ideas? I've checked Freecycle (put out a wanted ad), Craigslist (put up a wanted ad here too), Habitat for Humanity's ReStore, eBay, and put word out on Facebook.

We're wanting approximately 10ft of upper cabinets, and 2-3 lower ones in order to create a workstation in our school/play room. I need to spend VERY little. I'm going to paint them white, so they don't even have to be in great shape. Anyway....ideas?!?

Thank you!

Have you tried posting "wanted" flyers in your local supermarkets? I really can't think of anything else that you haven't already tried.

If all else fails, you could try Ikea. Their prices are reasonable (although probably still more than you want to spend if you're hoping for something close to free, but their cabinets are a great value and might end up costing a lot less than you think.) You could also call them and ask to speak with someone in their clearance area to see if they have any floor samples for sale. The Ikea stores with kitchen displays are always moving things around, and they sell the display setups at a discount. (I don't know how much of a discount, though, but it would be worth calling them if you have an Ikea store in your area.)

Also look at places like Lowes and Home Depot to see if they're selling any displays or have any returned items on clearance. Again, you could call and ask, so you don't make a trip for nothing.

I hope you're able to find something!

Cat

Does your ReStore allow you to leave a wish list? You may also want to ask them when they typically pick up donations of large items. Ours does this on Tuesday and if you want anything great like cabinets, you need to almost be there as they are unloading. 24 hours later that good stuff is always gone.

We also have salvage places like Railroad Salvage near us. They carry building supplies cheaply. Some is in perfect new condition, some needsminor repairs.

Check with local cabinet stores to see if they have any display models that they are going to be parting with soon. Usually they have only a few feet of each kind, so you won't be able to be picky about style, but the prices are dirt cheap; especially if you are willing to overlook a few dents/scratches.

Check new subdivisions in your area that are almost sold out. When builders make a model home complex they will usually have at least one model that has a sales office in the garage. All those cabinets have to be torn out for the model conversion. They may let you have them if you are willing to come tear them out yourselves. They will probably be happy to get rid of them (the less stuff (weight) they have to put in the dumpster, the better).

Are you or your dh handy? They are really not that hard to make, especially if you don't care about fancy routing on the doors. You can rent the tools. You can also use wood trim/moulding to decorate the cabinet doors - be creative. :)

Other than DIY, I think you've listed every place I'd have looked.

Good luck!

Dont know how cheap your looking for but Lowe's has unfinished wood cabinets rather cheap. We used these to replace our kitchen cabinets (only had $$ for absolute cheapest) and I painted them my own colors and they look great. We've had these cheaper cabinets for approximately 4 years now and they are holding up quite well.

• 1 year later...
Guest AnthonyPorter

I think the using an old cabinets is today an old idea. There are many stores where you can get a IKEA cabinets. You can visit to that stores and can get them.