Menu

Android tablet (ipad knockoff)?

I want an ebook reader. I don't want a Kindle or a nook. I think they are too expensive for just an ebook reader and most of the books I want to read are pdf books. I started looking for cheap ebook readers and discovered the Android 7" tablet-aPad. They cost about $100. That is less than a Kindle or Nook.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I don't want an iPad. It is too big. I have an iTouch that I LOVE, but it is just too small for me to read a book on. I really need something that shows a full page of text.

I thought they weren't even out yet? And I definitely haven't heard about that price point.

My tech-geek is still at work, but he's an Android fanatic, so I assume he's heard something.

FWIW, we have a "loaner" iPad, and I'm simply not impressed with the whole tablet concept in the least. It does run all of the e-Reader programs, but is too heavy to use it as such, imo.

They have a bunch on ebay. They are shipped from China. My dh and I have purchased several electronics off ebay that were shipped from China with success. So I'm not worried about that aspect. The aPads are also sold at Kmart. I don't know what name band. I looked them up on kmart.com and they were out of stock. I just want a cheap ebook reader that can surf the web via wifi and maybe watch a movie or two. The only thing I am afraid of is it dying in 6 months and then being out of luck. The cheapest dedicated ebook reader looks awefull compaired to the aPad.

The problem with that one is that it is running Android 1.6 and can't be upgraded due to its hardware limitations. Motorola is rumored to be releasing an Android 3.0 10" tablet in time for the holidays. You'll be able to get Wi-Fi only or a Wi-Fi + Verizon 3g (a la iPad) data plan.

The problem with that one is that it is running Android 1.6 and can't be upgraded due to its hardware limitations. Motorola is rumored to be releasing an Android 3.0 10" tablet in time for the holidays. You'll be able to get Wi-Fi only or a Wi-Fi + Verizon 3g (a la iPad) data plan.

10" is just too big. That is why I won't buy an iPad. I want something bigger than my touch, but can still fit in my purse. They do have an aPad in eBay that runs android 2.1 and 2.2. do you think that would be better?

I started looking for cheap ebook readers and discovered the Android 7" tablet-aPad.
This particular unit is not getting good reviews, and doesn't have access rights to the DROID store. I'm waiting to see what's upcoming.

The price of Kindles went down recently, and they're not much above $100 now.

Oops. Never mind. I missed what you said in the OP about wanting to read PDF books.

Doesn't the Kindle have a PDF reader? I just ordered one, but they're back-ordered so I haven't received it yet. I know you can't read the other eBook formats on it, but PDF's should be fine.

Doesn't the Kindle have a PDF reader? I just ordered one, but they're back-ordered so I haven't received it yet. I know you can't read the other eBook formats on it, but PDF's should be fine.

It does have a pdf reader--and it's cheaper now.

I may have to finally break down and get one (especially now that not using it would make me a wee bit feel less guilty than if I'd bought it @ $400 and barely touched it).

It does have a pdf reader--and it's cheaper now.

I may have to finally break down and get one (especially now that not using it would make me a wee bit feel less guilty than if I'd bought it @ $400 and barely touched it).

That's good to know. I don't know what I read that made me think you couldn't read PDFs on them.

• 2 weeks later...
That's good to know. I don't know what I read that made me think you couldn't read PDFs on them.
The capability to read PDFs was not added to Kindle until after the Nook was released. This is one of my complaints about Kindle (and iPad). They insist on making them as restrictive as they can get away with.

Amazon and Apple want you beholden to them. You may only install what they provide and approve. Which is why I got an Android phone. When Android tablets are available with bells and whistles, not just iPad Chinese knock-offs that lack Wi-Fi and Android market access, I will probably buy one. Or three. :D

I want an ebook reader. I don't want a Kindle or a nook. I think they are too expensive for just an ebook reader and most of the books I want to read are pdf books. I started looking for cheap ebook readers and discovered the Android 7" tablet-aPad. They cost about $100. That is less than a Kindle or Nook.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I don't want an iPad. It is too big. I have an iTouch that I LOVE, but it is just too small for me to read a book on. I really need something that shows a full page of text.

I hear you, I researched mine forever. The prices are really coming down fast which is great. I am currently looking at the Aluratek on the Border's website for my youngest dd. It's only drawback it an lcd screen so less battery life than I like. It is under $100 now I think.

There are a ton of Android tablets coming out, here are some.

I haunt this blog, it has info and reviews. Their forums are excellent too as are the ones at www.mobileread.com

I know you said you don't want a Nook. I love mine and they are now down to $150. I love my Nook except for it's abysmal organizational system but I am confident they will fix it in the next firmware update.

I reviewed my Nook and my dd's Astak.

Borders announced a new tablet reader today.

7" with an Android OS. Looks interesting!

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaders?cmpid=SA_20100825

Thanks! Those look interesting! I had looked at their Kobo in the store a few weeks ago. I liked the way the rubberized, patterned back felt in my hand. It was quite strange, though, as there was an image on the screen, but I could not get the unit to function. It's really hard to tell with e-ink eReaders whether or not the image is from the display or some type of sticker...
I hear you, I researched mine forever. The prices are really coming down fast which is great. I am currently looking at the Aluratek on the Border's website for my youngest dd. It's only drawback it an lcd screen so less battery life than I like. It is under $100 now I think.

There are a ton of Android tablets coming out, here are some.

I haunt this blog, it has info and reviews. Their forums are excellent too as are the ones at www.mobileread.com

I know you said you don't want a Nook. I love mine and they are now down to $150. I love my Nook except for it's abysmal organizational system but I am confident they will fix it in the next firmware update.

I reviewed my Nook and my dd's Astak.

Great post! Thanks for all the links and information.

The capability to read PDFs was not added to Kindle until after the Nook was released. This is one of my complaints about Kindle (and iPad). They insist on making them as restrictive as they can get away with.

You can read PDFs on an iPad, I do it all the time.

Bill

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you cannot.

My complaint has to do with the restrictiveness of Apple and Amazon. For instance, you cannot load Flash on your iPad without jailbreaking it.

:iagree: SJ needs to get off his high horse and join the rest of the world. Flash hasn't disappeared yet, and I doubt it's going to go anywhere. If Apple didn't nanny their products so badly, I'd be a huge fan. The iPhone is a very good smartphone, undoubtedly one of the best ever made, but Apple's insistence that customers have limited access to install only what Apple approves reeks of nanny-state oversight. I haven't even played with an iPad because of it. I'll wait for the open-source option.