Menu

Would you reschedule this birthday party?

I sent out invitations to a pool party for my ds's bday. I invited 7 boys from 6 different families. 3 boys can make it; one from one family and two from another. I feel badly for my ds. He does not have many friends due to the fact that several close friends have moved away. On of the boys who can attend is really just an acquaintance. He was supposed to be in a science camp this week that he was really looking forward to and it was cancelled at the very last minute due to low enrollment. I'm thinking maybe I should reschedule so that there's a chance more boys will be able to attend. The party is supposed to be in 4 days. Would you attempt to reschedule for the following weekend or just leave it as is?

I would re-schedule...we keep parties small for this very reason: so that we can re arrange if need be.

ETA: Looking back, we had asked up front (before invites even went out) what day would work and worked around everyone's schedules to get all invitees there. So, I guess I'd go with the other comments after all -- it wouldn't be fair to those who DID say they could come to re-schedule because they might not be able make it.

Edited by BikeBookBread

Probably not, if the 3 boys are already committed to be there four days from now. I'd just make it as fun for the few boys as possible. There's no guarantee that rescheduling will allow more of the boys to come, but it might be pretty annoying for the parents who already said they'd bring their kids, and disappointing to the kids who expect to show up a few days from now, to have things canceled on them pretty last minute.

Probably not, if the 3 boys are already committed to be there four days from now. I'd just make it as fun for the few boys as possible. There's no guarantee that rescheduling will allow more of the boys to come, but it might be pretty annoying for the parents who already said they'd bring their kids, and disappointing to the kids who expect to show up a few days from now, to have things canceled on them pretty last minute.

I forgot to say why. This is why.

:iagree: We wouldn't reschedule, but would work to make it as fun as possible.

:iagree: If the boys who CAN come to the first date, can't come after you cancel and change the date, that would be rather disappointing to those boys. And the parents, who have set aside the time for their child to be at your child's party. Small can be fun if you make it fun.

I wouldn't reschedule. There is nothing wrong with a small party.

Trust me, my ds10 had a party one year where no one showed up other than family. It was heartbreaking for me. Thankfully, he had 2 of his cousins there, but they are several years younger. He was turning 5 or 6 at the time, I think. Anyway, he kept asking when his party was going to start, because he couldn't understand that only the family was there. Heartbreaking. Oh, it was so hard not to cry. I only managed because I was trying so hard to make it seem fun to him.

So, having 3 children committed to coming is not a problem, to me. I actually think it makes it easier for them to play, without things getting out of hand. Having an even number (counting your son, also) is nice, so if kids pair up, no one is left out. I would also worry that it would seem rude to the families that had committed to being there. I would leave it where it was, and work to make it as much fun as possible.

plan A might be to leave it as it is, and add in something extra that you could only do with a smaller number, like bowling or kite flying or ??? (you can get that many into one car with their parents permission), and then come back and swim.

plan B (to be used if no one shows even though 3 said they would - we had a friend whose 10 year old lived through that recently).... something your ds would love that you could all do together (my friend turned it into a beach day).

someone else mentioned it, but here where we live, people say "yes" and mean "maybe", so we've started asking folks when they can make it and then planning around them. it makes it harder for the "yes" to slide to something else.

sometimes we've made the invitation also the party favor, and driven around and given them out. that way, once someone has accepted something they are more likely not to let the "yes" slide, either. nor are their kids. eg. one year we had a kite flying party and the invitation was attached to the tail of a small kite for each child which we took to them 2 weeks before the party. 100% attendance. another time we had a pj party (not a sleepover, just pajamas and waffles for dinner). the invitation was wrapped up in a small fleece throw which we delivered to each child and which they were to bring to the party. again, 100%...

now we have a group of friends we can count on, we don't need to do that, but sometimes we still do, as it raises the anticipation and makes the party day simpler.

but i would not reschedule, as that potentially sends a message to the people who said yes that they are really "B" list friends and the party depends on the "A" list being able to come.

good luck,

ann

You would probably never find a date that is perfect for everyone. And hate to say it, but sometimes families can't make it because they don't want to...so by saying "okay, I'm changing it based on when you can come, WHEN can you come?"...puts them in a awkward situation.

I would look at like four boys can be alot of fun....it will alot easier for you to rev up the fun with a small party...and the $$$ you would have use to spread out for 7 boys, can now just doubled up for extras for these boys.

Four is fun!!