Menu

Anyone else have Co-op Cold Feet?

:blush:

It's very pathetic of me, but this is my 4th year homeschooling, and I have never joined a co-op or group.

The first year my kids were 4 and 5. They went to a Mothers Day Out once a week that was fabulous. I had a new baby and the day "off" met all our needs that year.

The second year I knew I was going to move, and decided to wait until we got to our new community.

The third year, I went to the first meetings at a few local groups, but was overwhelmed and didn't sign up at the meetings. Then I started having health issues that would have made it hard to participate anyway.

So now it's year 4. My kids go to Cub Scouts,Church, and have lots of neighborhood friends. We don't know very many homeschoolers, though, and I'm feeling like the support would be helpful.

I guess I have to figure out a way to quit worrying and jump in.

I do think it is great if you have a good co op / support group near you to join up. I belong to both. Our support group offers field trips, contests, play days and a variety of social activities. Plus I have been able to get advice from those who have walked this path ahead of me. This becomes very important when you reach the high school years.

We didn't do co op classes for our first few years of homeschooling, but when we started I realized it gave my kids the chance to be in a 'classroom' situation, with someone other than me that they are accountable to. I feel comfortable teaching all the core subjects at home, but we have enjoyed co op for subjects like Forensic Science, Acting and Music Theory. That is also where my kids do Spanish. My 2nd oldest child is currently filling out his college applications - and I remember when my oldest was doing hers how glad I was to have co op teachers to write the academic references she needed.

Well, if you had read what I wrote on the Aspergers thread on the general board, you'd probably guess that I haven't joined a co-op. :lol:

I'd really love too, but right now it's more than enough for me to handle dealing with parents at dance and soccer, plus all the people I have to deal with at school. Anyways, any of the co-ops or homeschool classes I've found meet before lunch, and I wouldn't be available until after since I have classes in the morning, so it doesn't matter anyway!

Eventually I guess I'll have to make the effort and reach out to other homeschoolers. I keep hoping that if I mention it in passing to enough people, eventually someone will say "Oh, me too!". :D

I don't think it's at all pathetic--not everybody needs a co-op. Your kids are still young, and it sounds like they are very involved in a lot of outside activities/have plenty of friends. If you need to know more homeschoolers for YOU, look into a support group that does the easy, fun stuff like field trips and park days.

Co-ops can be awesome and wonderful, but they can also be a huge time-drain and a great source of unnecessary drama. Approach with caution and handle with care!

It's very pathetic of me, but this is my 4th year homeschooling, and I have never joined a co-op or group.

The first year my kids were 4 and 5. They went to a Mothers Day Out once a week that was fabulous. I had a new baby and the day "off" met all our needs that year.

The second year I knew I was going to move, and decided to wait until we got to our new community.

The third year, I went to the first meetings at a few local groups, but was overwhelmed and didn't sign up at the meetings. Then I started having health issues that would have made it hard to participate anyway.

So now it's year 4. My kids go to Cub Scouts,Church, and have lots of neighborhood friends. We don't know very many homeschoolers, though, and I'm feeling like the support would be helpful.

Yes, I have co-op cold feet. I was going to join one this year but decided against it. I like the freedom of picking up and going whenever I please. A co-op would only tie me down. As far as the support, I get what I need from the forums and a few of my real life homeschool friends that live nearby. I do think that homeschool groups can be a great encouragement for some but they aren't my "thing".

in fact, I have been (in the past) somewhat co-op aversive.

I have looked long and hard and mostly I have searched with, hmmmm, not a necessarily negative attitude, but with the attitude that I would not ever find a group that seemed a good fit. And, to be truthful, I didn't really 'want' to join a group.

That being said, I AM going to join a co-op this year. I finally saw one and have been in contact with the coordinator and THIS is the group that we are going to join. The classes they teach are precisely the classes I would look for in a co-op; the schedule works well with ours; and it will give structure to our week.

I don't think it's at all pathetic--not everybody needs a co-op. Your kids are still young, and it sounds like they are very involved in a lot of outside activities/have plenty of friends. If you need to know more homeschoolers for YOU, look into a support group that does the easy, fun stuff like field trips and park days.

Co-ops can be awesome and wonderful, but they can also be a huge time-drain and a great source of unnecessary drama. Approach with caution and handle with care!

:iagree: I've done a coop in the past and it was a huge time drain. My son enjoyed it for the first half of the year, but got sick of it by the second. I had to teach a class in order to participate and I spent hours preparing each week.

My kids have good friends, lots of activities to participate in and we are in a field trip group, so I don't want to dedicate a whole school day to coop.

I remember when I was first getting ready to homeschool my son for kindergarten, I went and spoke with Jessie Wise after one of her lectures and she encouraged me not to bother with coops. I still wound up trying one out when he was in first grade, but when she told me that, it was a huge relief to me.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Well, I'm going into my 8th year of homeschooling, and this coming year is the first time I've joined one! Just because you homeschool doesn't mean you must join a co-op. Nothing pathetic about your situation. :D

When my kids were 4-6ish, I really wished I had one to join. As they got older, I was glad there was none to join - I needed to figure out my homeschooling path for myself. These boards have been tremendously helpful in that, and I can dip in and out of here as I please, without worrying about if it's going to hold up without me.

The only reasons I am joining one this year are:

- It is being run by two ladies I really like, with similar family values

- It is only being scheduled til December, so that people can opt out for the next semester with no feelings hurt

- It is meant to be "hands on" (experiments, skilled crafts, creative movement, etc.) fun rather than academic - no major prep, no homework

- There are only two half-hour sessions every two weeks, with time after for the kids to play and Moms to talk

- It is small

This is exactly what I need right now. Just a bit of non-pressure fun and socializing on a regular basis, but not so often that I feel pressured at home. And if for some reason I don't want to continue in January, I can stop, guilt-free, with my friendships preserved. I don't *need* a co-op in general, but this one fits us for the next little while.

This will be my first year trying ONE coop class and I'm not enthused. Seems like just more work. I'm doing it stricly for social reasons. It won't help us with schooling either, so it's just another day off. I wanted to see how dd would fare in a classroom-ish atmosphere and to get her off a public school kick. Otherwise, it's really not for me until I at least get into a grade level where I need help. Right now it's just an added trip (sigh).

I like the freedom of picking up and going whenever I please. A co-op would only tie me down. As far as the support, I get what I need from the forums ... I do think that homeschool groups can be a great encouragement for some but they aren't my "thing".

:iagree:

:iagree: I've done a coop in the past and it was a huge time drain.

Yes, time AND energy. After a while I began to feel assaulted by the other parents. Some wanted me to teach more classes, some wanted to shove their curriculum choices down my throat. Some had children who were verbally and physically inappropriate --- and would do nothing about it. And then there were the demanding e mails that came at all hours.

I had to teach a class in order to participate and I spent hours preparing each week.

Everyone had to volunteer somewhere. I spent hours preparing my classes for kids who mostly were there to socialize and had great difficulty paying attention. The behavior was WORSE than that I had seen teaching in public school. When parents were addressed about the problem they actually told me to my face that co-op was just for socialization. Then why give the classes titles and expect a teacher to prepare lessons?:001_huh:

There were a few other teachers who attempted to make their classes worthwhile, but for the most part the mothers didn't want to waste time prepping for classes. SO, the educational value was very questionable. Given all the misbehavior, even the socializing wasn't of great value.

My kids have good friends, lots of activities to participate in and we are in a field trip group, so I don't want to dedicate a whole school day to coop.

Because I was teaching or helping, more than just a day ended up being lost to co-ops.

I remember when I was first getting ready to homeschool my son for kindergarten, I went and spoke with Jessie Wise after one of her lectures and she encouraged me not to bother with coops. I still wound up trying one out when he was in first grade, but when she told me that, it was a huge relief to me.

Silly that I feel the need for some sort of validation given our experience, but this was good to hear/read. Thanks!

All this is not to say that there might not be some good co-ops out there. I would say if you are contemplating a co-op proceed with caution and be sure you know what you are getting into.

I love our homeschool group.

We do lots of field trips, park days, host various "classes" (for fun) at each other's houses from time to time, have occasional mom's night out events, go on various tours, and so on. It's fun!

We don't have co-op classes in the sense of "We meet every Tuesday and this one teaches math for three hours and that one does science and kids must do homework" kind of thing, I wouldn't want to bother with that. But some of the moms (or dads!) will offer occasional one time classes for fun that might be: a creative writing workshop, an archery demonstration, a puppeteering class, a "gold rush" class that talked about different gems and minerals and the had it set up so the kids could pan for gold, and so on.

It helps the kids meet other homeschooled kids, it gives me the chance to get together with other homeschool moms, and it gives us people to hang around with while doing tours and field trips- which really is more fun in most cases than just going alone with your own kids.

Co-ops aren't necessary to do a good job homeschooling. In fact there's nothing that says that co-ops equals good educating. There are good and there are bad co-ops. Same with support groups (which might be very different from a co-op offering classes).

And there can be good co-ops and support groups that just don't meet you where you are at the moment. There is nothing wrong with not joining. Or with joining but only participating to the extent that it benefits your family.*

*I don't mean joining a group that requires a certain participation level and then not doing it. But if a group offers a bunch of different things that you can sign up for, it doesn't mean that you have to sign up for all of them. If one part of the group is hard over on group holiday parties and that is just a time drain for you, you aren't obligated to attend.

I think that it is incredibly helpful to have a few homeschooling comrades who can help you over the rough spots. Those can be real life friends, people from support groups or email/internet friends. It does help counter the feeling that you are swimming upstream.

Why would that be pathetic of you? Thousands of homeschoolers never do a co-op.

Are there no *support groups* where you live? I'd happily join a support group, but a co-op would be way down on the list of things I'd do, especially if my dc were already involved with scouts and church and had lots of friends.