Menu

The new Time Travelers cd, Industrial Revolution - the Great Depression, is out!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I LOVE these TT cds!!! This one looks great too!

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping she'll start on the Ancients and work her way up! :001_smile:

I love them too! I love how they incorporate so much cultural stuff instead of just the usual political/war stuff. I'm personally hoping they finish out American history through modern times (quickly!) and then go back to do one about early Native American life. Then, yes, I would love to see them tackle world history.

Is this a stand-alone program? How do you use them? We use TOG but the Civil War CD looks like a great supplement, especially for the activities.

You could use them as a stand-alone program (adding supplemental reading for the greatest benefit) or as a supplement. I use them as a supplement because some of the stuff is beyond my kids' ability level to execute on their own. I'm saving that stuff for our next time through.

Woo hoo!!!! I LOVE their stuff!! And, more importantly, so do my kids. I got an email on this today....and hurried to their site to check it out. It looks AWESOME!! Can't wait to use it.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Now THIS is one I did not know about......thanks for posting this. :hurray:

Well, glad to do a favor, given all the MCT posts that have me lured in. :lol:

Now I have to wonder whether your grand total for Time Travelers cds and other Homeschool in the Woods products comes anywhere close to what I'm going to be spending on MCT for the foreseeable future. :D

Well, glad to do a favor, given all the MCT posts that have me lured in.

:lol: Yeah - we do it with smoke and mirrors!:lol:

Now I have to wonder whether your grand total for Time Travelers cds and other Homeschool in the Woods products comes anywhere close to what I'm going to be spending on MCT for the foreseeable future. :D

:rolleyes: Well, we can compare grand totals, you know!

I like the looks of the continuity of the TT product - I am burned out and I am looking for everything lined up in a row the way this seems to be. What other products would you suggest ordering along with the CDs? If you would fire me off a short bare bones list, I would be SO appreciative.....I'll make sure you get on the list for the Hummer........;).

I like the looks of the continuity of the TT product - I am burned out and I am looking for everything lined up in a row the way this seems to be. What other products would you suggest ordering along with the CDs? If you would fire me off a short bare bones list, I would be SO appreciative.....I'll make sure you get on the list for the Hummer........;).

Whoaaa Marianne! Start with one CD. See how long it takes you and then go back for more. I love TT CDs, but have found through the years that it works best to limit us to one a year. They are wonderful and the end products are just beautiful even if your child is all thumbs when it comes to art. However, we find that the lapbooks alone with a few chosen notebook pages take us over 5 weeks. If you did it all, it would be more.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Oh, burnout. Been there (not with homeschooling yet since mine are young, but with the Army and life). :grouphug:

I love all of the Time Travelers cds (again, as supplements or full programs). They do come with the maps and timeline figures you need to complete them though. So, unless you just want to build the ultimate timeline figure and map collection, you can stop reading now. :)

They have the prettiest timeline figures ever (along with instructions for how to use and color them best). I have their world/U.S. collection on cd.

Ditto for their maps.

P.S. I do not work for them. :D

Oh, and you can leave me off the Hummer list. I see enough of the real thing in the Army. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Whoaaa Marianne! Start with one CD.

:iagree:...despite my list.

You don't know for sure that you'll even like them. Printing all the pages is intensive and it might not end up being your cup of tea. I am incorporating bits of each into our American history studies and we'll hit them again big time for the second round. That's why I have them all. :)

I recently called Amy Pak to pay a fee to use a cd in a co-op setting, and took the opportunity to ask if she'd be doing ancients. She said no. Bummer! She said they each take about a year and she doesn't have the time to invest further. We just started Explorers and I am so excited! And we are doing composers with a co-op and I just printed it all. looks so, so good.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I recently called Amy Pak to pay a fee to use a cd in a co-op setting, and took the opportunity to ask if she'd be doing ancients. She said no. Bummer! She said they each take about a year and she doesn't have the time to invest further. We just started Explorers and I am so excited! And we are doing composers with a co-op and I just printed it all. looks so, so good.

Thanks for the info! I am not surprised that it takes her a year, as well done as they are. I don't think I have ever seen such a polished, ready to go program.

I imagine she's at least going to finish off the American history series though. Please, please, please tell me she said that! :lol: WWII and mid-century stuff would be so much fun with TT (not just heavy-heavy war stuff). I am having the worst problem trying to find great resources for the most recent periods in history.

I think I am going to try these for our 2011-12 school year. I am looking at using the TT CD's in conjunction with a lot of the resources from Guest Hollow and the Winter Promise and Sonlight book lists to fill it out for my older dd. I would like to do a fun tour through American History for my kids and I think this may be the way to go. We also have a lot of great field trip places within a day's drive or so which I think would just make it complete.

Whoaaa Marianne! Start with one CD. See how long it takes you and then go back for more. I love TT CDs, but have found through the years that it works best to limit us to one a year. They are wonderful and the end products are just beautiful even if your child is all thumbs when it comes to art. However, we find that the lapbooks alone with a few chosen notebook pages take us over 5 weeks. If you did it all, it would be more.

Oh, burnout. Been there (not with homeschooling yet since mine are young, but with the Army and life). :grouphug:

I love all of the Time Travelers cds (again, as supplements or full programs). They do come with the maps and timeline figures you need to complete them though. So, unless you just want to build the ultimate timeline figure and map collection, you can stop reading now. :)

They have the prettiest timeline figures ever (along with instructions for how to use and color them best). I have their world/U.S. collection on cd.

Ditto for their maps.

P.S. I do not work for them. :D

Oh, and you can leave me off the Hummer list. I see enough of the real thing in the Army. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the advice - sheesh, and I here I was thinking that I was going shopping. ;)

Makes sense, start with one. My daughters will love this -- coloring and stuff.

As far as those real Hummers, my ds would LOVE a real one.

Thank you to both of you -- you have provided excellent advice and have not tempered my enthusiasm.:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I reeeeeaaaaallly wanted to order the Civil War CD & resisted. This new one might send me over the edge.

So tell me why not to buy it. I doubt we'd do the copywork. We're total lapbooking failures. (Mostly because I always present them as an activity to be completed w/out any research aids & in a mere hour.)

Could it still be good for us? We LOVE unit studies but are less arts & craftsy than that suggests. Draw some lines on a craft stick we can handle. Deep discussions we can do. Sustained attention to one project over a week or more? Nope. Mama might have ADD. :001_huh:

I reeeeeaaaaallly wanted to order the Civil War CD & resisted. This new one might send me over the edge.

So tell me why not to buy it. I doubt we'd do the copywork. We're total lapbooking failures. (Mostly because I always present them as an activity to be completed w/out any research aids & in a mere hour.)

Could it still be good for us? We LOVE unit studies but are less arts & craftsy than that suggests. Draw some lines on a craft stick we can handle. Deep discussions we can do. Sustained attention to one project over a week or more? Nope. Mama might have ADD. :001_huh:

And THAT is why I wanted you to come over here and take a look.

Similarly, (and thank you for articulating this - I am :tongue_smilie: today) we would not do copy work and we would not do lapbooks. We love unit studies as well but I am not into arts and crafts (neither is DS) -- well, I am, but not for school -- think this: :tongue_smilie:. 'Deep discussions' - yes, and then we want to get onto the next topic for deep discussion.

The girls would love the timeline, and if I presented it as not expecting a timeline of ds, THEN he would want to do one (so at least I know how to get that accomplished).

That is all.

Whoaaa Marianne! Start with one CD. See how long it takes you and then go back for more.

We did the Colonial and the Revolutionary War cds last year and I am so glad we sssslllllooowwwweeeddd down and took our time with them adding in a bunch of reading. We really had a great year. We learned a lot and enjoyed the projects. This year we are just going to do the Early 19th Century adding in, of course, a ton of books and digging deeper into the subjects the cd presents. Looking forward to a great year!

We did the Colonial and the Revolutionary War cds last year and I am so glad we sssslllllooowwwweeeddd down and took our time with them adding in a bunch of reading. We really had a great year. We learned a lot and enjoyed the projects. This year we are just going to do the Early 19th Century adding in, of course, a ton of books and digging deeper into the subjects the cd presents. Looking forward to a great year!

Thank you :001_smile: -- I am starting to get an idea forming as to how this will work for us.

We did the Colonial and the Revolutionary War cds last year and I am so glad we sssslllllooowwwweeeddd down and took our time with them adding in a bunch of reading. We really had a great year.

We have done Colonial, Revolutionary War, Civil War and Early 19th Century this way taking about 1/2 a year for each one. We did lots of the reading, the timelines, the vocabulary cards (which my kids still play with), and many of the projects. Few of the projects took more than an hour.

We are not lapbookers so before the study began I printed the lessons and projects and made a notebook for each child. We now have lots of big fat full notebooks that are artifacts of our studies.

My kids loved the recipes in each study (we did one every week or 10 days as part of lunch or dinner), the mapping and the timeline. We followed lots of bunny trails, found lots of field trips to correspond to the studies and read tons of books. These CDs have been our favorite history resources (although we really like Story of the World too!:001_smile:)

They are easily adaptable to any pace. The pace as laid out I found too fast in all of her studies. We like to stroll through history and discuss it more than the schedule allowed. So we did.

Bump.

I talked to dh last night, & he told me to go ahead & order the CD. He thinks previous tries at lapbooking don't count since they were just freebies on stuff we hadn't studied & therefore had a hard time filling out. Esp in the 2hr time frames I allotted.

But he also thinks it will stink (for us) & that by agreeing to order this one, he's actually saving $ because then I won't want the rest. :glare: Or any more lapbooks. (Not that I buy them. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what that part's supposed to mean, because I *don't* buy them.) :glare:

So, really. Somebody tell me. Will we (I) like this CD, or am I going to have to eat my words if I order it? :001_huh:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Bump.

I talked to dh last night, & he told me to go ahead & order the CD. He thinks previous tries at lapbooking don't count since they were just freebies on stuff we hadn't studied & therefore had a hard time filling out. Esp in the 2hr time frames I allotted.

But he also thinks it will stink (for us) & that by agreeing to order this one, he's actually saving $ because then I won't want the rest. :glare: Or any more lapbooks. (Not that I buy them. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what that part's supposed to mean, because I *don't* buy them.) :glare:

So, really. Somebody tell me. Will we (I) like this CD, or am I going to have to eat my words if I order it? :001_huh:

OK, I am probably not the person to be answering this question because I admittedly do not use the whole program yet. I am using the discs as supplements, taking the bits and pieces that are age-appropriate for us now and incorporating them as we go through our own history program. If you take a close look at the different pictures and samples for each cd, you can actually see the lapbooks and the rest of the projects. So, if you're a lapbook hater (and I kind of am, as they are the mother of all paper crafts and I am not a huge fan of paper crafts in the first place...although these are the cutest lapbooks and paper crafts I have personally ever seen but anyway...), there is more for you to do.

I can really see dd and younger ds loving lapbooks--LOVING them. We're not doing them now though because they are not old enough to do the majority of the work and I am not going to do them. What's the point of that, I have to wonder? :lol: When we revisit TT for our second round of American history, dc will be middlers with the ability to do every bit of it on their own as I smile approvingly while sipping iced tea and reading a novel. :tongue_smilie: So, looking at the age of your kids, could you view it as a bit now, a bit later kind of thing and be OK with it? Regardless, these discs have huge resale, as someone already pointed out.

Also, there are some really cute things that are meant to be incorporated into lapbooks that you could make for their own sake and just not put in lapbook form. The apothecary springs to mind (although I can't recall if that particular craft was meant for a lapbook). That thing is so darn cute, I can't stand it. The projects are adorable and whether an individual item is intended as part of a lapbook are not, you can view each thing as an hour project or an afternoon project. You don't have to turn each thing into an all-consuming week or month long project. We're dipping our toes in and, even with that, I think it was worth the price. Again, though, it was a long-term investment for us because I think dc are going to hit it hard in the next go-around.

OK, rambling done...off to swim lessons!

Bump.

You will be totally impressed with the quality and will never look at another lapbooking project with anything other than a jaundiced eye. There is something for every child in them. Nonartists have beautiful end projects. It's a load of work to prep for them. They line up well with Hakim's books. We started skipping some of the Hakim reading and just read the lessons. You can choose to do it all and take 6 months like a pp said or pick and choose what you want to do: timeline, lapbook, copywork, games (fun, folder games, vocabulary, cooking (this, we always do;)), and arts and crafts. They are a great tool and you should try at least one if you can stand all the printing, copying, cutting, coloring, and gluing. I get tired when I think of them, but we'll do New Age Explorers this year during the Renaissance and then do the American Revolution next year. Does this help? Probably not.:D

I've owned four of them but would not purchase the Civil War one if I had a middle schooler. They get to do the PBS Ken Burns series with the primary source work.

ETA: Lest you think I am a nay sayer...I'll happily push most of Amy Pak's products.:D

Edited by swimmermom3

OK, I am probably not the person to be answering this question because I admittedly do not use the whole program yet. I am using the discs as supplements, taking the bits and pieces that are age-appropriate for us now and incorporating them as we go through our own history program. If you take a close look at the different pictures and samples for each cd, you can actually see the lapbooks and the rest of the projects. So, if you're a lapbook hater (and I kind of am, as they are the mother of all paper crafts and I am not a huge fan of paper crafts in the first place...although these are the cutest lapbooks and paper crafts I have personally ever seen but anyway...), there is more for you to do.

I can really see dd and younger ds loving lapbooks--LOVING them. We're not doing them now though because they are not old enough to do the majority of the work and I am not going to do them. What's the point of that, I have to wonder? :lol: When we revisit TT for our second round of American history, dc will be middlers with the ability to do every bit of it on their own as I smile approvingly while sipping iced tea and reading a novel. :tongue_smilie: So, looking at the age of your kids, could you view it as a bit now, a bit later kind of thing and be OK with it? Regardless, these discs have huge resale, as someone already pointed out.

Also, there are some really cute things that are meant to be incorporated into lapbooks that you could make for their own sake and just not put in lapbook form. The apothecary springs to mind (although I can't recall if that particular craft was meant for a lapbook). That thing is so darn cute, I can't stand it. The projects are adorable and whether an individual item is intended as part of a lapbook are not, you can view each thing as an hour project or an afternoon project. You don't have to turn each thing into an all-consuming week or month long project. We're dipping our toes in and, even with that, I think it was worth the price. Again, though, it was a long-term investment for us because I think dc are going to hit it hard in the next go-around.

OK, rambling done...off to swim lessons!

That's exactly how I imagined using it--some now, some later when they're bigger. Some w/ these dc, some w/ the littles.

You will be totally impressed with the quality and will never look at another lapbooking project with anything other than a jaundiced eye. There is something for every child in them. Nonartists have beautiful end projects. It's a load of work to prep for them. They line up well with Hakim's books. We started skipping some of the Hakim reading and just read the lessons. You can choose to do it all and take 6 months like a pp said or pick and choose what you want to do: timeline, lapbook, copywork, games (fun, folder games, vocabulary, cooking (this, we always do;)), and arts and crafts. They are a great tool and you should try at least one if you can stand all the printing, copying, cutting, coloring, and gluing. I get tired when I think of them, but we'll do New Age Explorers this year during the Renaissance and then do the American Revolution next year. Does this help? Probably not.:D

I've owned four of them but would not purchase the Civil War one if I had a middle schooler. They get to do the PBS Ken Burns series with the primary source work.

ETA: Lest you think I am a nay sayer...I'll happily push most of Amy Pak's products.:D

This is the best you can do at naysaying? It sounded like an endorsement to me. :lol:

Now I need to know (for future ref) about the Ken Burns thingy. Because it took every. bit. of. willpower I had not to order the CW one this past spring. Now you're telling me there's something even better? :svengo: :lol:

This is the best you can do at naysaying? It sounded like an endorsement to me. :lol:

Now I need to know (for future ref) about the Ken Burns thingy. Because it took every. bit. of. willpower I had not to order the CW one this past spring. Now you're telling me there's something even better? :svengo: :lol:

:glare: I had so far managed NOT to look at the KB stuff............clearly resistance is futile.:svengo:

Oh, and I bought the first Time Trav CD.:leaving:

Hmmm.... I was planning to do five Time Travelers cds this year, spending 7 weeks on each cd, as the main history curriculum for my 4th grader. Am I biting off more than we can chew?

Hmmm.... I was planning to do five Time Travelers cds this year, spending 7 weeks on each cd, as the main history curriculum for my 4th grader. Am I biting off more than we can chew?

Amy Pak, the author, has each cd scheduled to do 5 days a week for 5 weeks. If you want an overview of American History, you could do it that way. She gives texts to read and projects to complete. IMO, if you were to do it that way, *I* think you would be pressed for time to get the projects done even with Friday set up to be a day to finish the projects.

We like to dive in deeper to the topics we find interesting by reading lots of books, watching videos, ect. It probably takes us a lot longer than most. Oh, and we only do history 2 days a week and use Friday to work on projects if we want.

In a nutshell...if you are looking for an overview, then I say, "Go for it!" If not, there's no harm in slowing it down. :001_smile:

HTH!

Amy Pak, the author, has each cd scheduled to do 5 days a week for 5 weeks. If you want an overview of American History, you could do it that way. She gives texts to read and projects to complete. IMO, if you were to do it that way, *I* think you would be pressed for time to get the projects done even with Friday set up to be a day to finish the projects.

We like to dive in deeper to the topics we find interesting by reading lots of books, watching videos, ect. It probably takes us a lot longer than most. Oh, and we only do history 2 days a week and use Friday to work on projects if we want.

In a nutshell...if you are looking for an overview, then I say, "Go for it!" If not, there's no harm in slowing it down. :001_smile:

HTH!

I want something we can do in one year, while my older son is also studying American History, using Sonlight Core 100. The following year we are going back to Ancients.

:glare: I had so far managed NOT to look at the KB stuff............clearly resistance is futile.:svengo:

I just checked, & if it's just the films, they're on instant play on Netflix. :001_smile: So you can save your $ for TT. :lol:

Ken Burns Civil War Series - and you don't have to buy a thing if you have a decent library where you can get the videos or DVDs, which is what we did. Someone on the Sonlight forum suggested it and I replaced the Civil War book in Hakim's series with the movies. My oldest son was in eighth grade and loved the whole project. We did the classroom project for primary resources regarding letters. Your student gets to see real letters from real people on both sides of the issue. There is a beautiful letter from a soldier by the name of Sullivan Ballou (sp?) to his wife that will have you sobbing in your coffee. The whole thing is a nice break if you decide to do the TT CDs which by the way, are loosely based on Hakim's books so you don't have to double dip if you are using them and TT for American history.

I want something we can do in one year, while my older son is also studying American History, using Sonlight Core 100. The following year we are going back to Ancients.

Greta, I added TT and the Ken Burns series to Core 100 for my then 8th grader. We did parts of the New Age Explorers and the whole Revolutionary War Cd. It really gave SL 100 a boost.

My then 8th grader took 6 weeks to do the Revolutionary War lapbook, timeline and some of the notebook pages. We built the Jamestown Replica (free at the time, on Colonial CD, I believe) and did all of the cooking, took pictures and added to a bare spot on our lapbook. We worked on it 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

If you are doing 5 CDs, did you get the packet from WinterPromise where everything is prepped for you? I am trying to think of a delicate way to say, "Yes, I think it's a lot to ask of you and your students." Doing 5 of them in one year may take away from the experience overall? My son started his third one and then said he just couldn't take it anymore. Yet he loved everything he had done up to that point.

Greta, I added TT and the Ken Burns series to Core 100 for my then 8th grader. We did parts of the New Age Explorers and the whole Revolutionary War Cd. It really gave SL 100 a boost.

Good to know. Thanks! Maybe I'll have my 8th grader do some TT with his younger brother.

Ken Burns Civil War Series - and you don't have to buy a thing if you have a decent library where you can get the videos or DVDs, which is what we did. Someone on the Sonlight forum suggested it and I replaced the Civil War book in Hakim's series with the movies. My oldest son was in eighth grade and loved the whole project. We did the classroom project for primary resources regarding letters. Your student gets to see real letters from real people on both sides of the issue. There is a beautiful letter from a soldier by the name of Sullivan Ballou (sp?) to his wife that will have you sobbing in your coffee. The whole thing is a nice break if you decide to do the TT CDs which by the way, are loosely based on Hakim's books so you don't have to double dip if you are using them and TT for American history.

Is this project on the DVDs themselves or is it something separate? We already did the Civil War, but I'd like to make a note of it for 8th grade. I loved the book we ended up using as our spine--Two Miserable Presidents--but everything else we did was so hodge-podge. Not bad exactly, but heavy reading w/ little hands-on.

I offered to make my kids CW uniforms, but they weren't interested. :001_huh: So I dodged that project! :lol: I mean...I want them to want to, but...I want my mom to come make them. Hehehe. She would, too...:auto:

My then 8th grader took 6 weeks to do the Revolutionary War lapbook, timeline and some of the notebook pages. We built the Jamestown Replica (free at the time, on Colonial CD, I believe) and did all of the cooking, took pictures and added to a bare spot on our lapbook. We worked on it 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

If you are doing 5 CDs, did you get the packet from WinterPromise where everything is prepped for you? I am trying to think of a delicate way to say, "Yes, I think it's a lot to ask of you and your students." Doing 5 of them in one year may take away from the experience overall? My son started his third one and then said he just couldn't take it anymore. Yet he loved everything he had done up to that point.

I do have the packet from WinterPromise. :D I wouldn't do everything in the TT cds. We would pick and choose. Even at that, it does sound like 5 cds is too many. We won't be doing history 5 days a week. Thanks so much for the input.

Is this project on the DVDs themselves or is it something separate? We already did the Civil War, but I'd like to make a note of it for 8th grade. I loved the book we ended up using as our spine--Two Miserable Presidents--but everything else we did was so hodge-podge. Not bad exactly, but heavy reading w/ little hands-on.

I offered to make my kids CW uniforms, but they weren't interested. :001_huh: So I dodged that project! :lol: I mean...I want them to want to, but...I want my mom to come make them. Hehehe. She would, too...:auto:

You are SO funny! I looked online and our library has all the KB DVDs. I am going to look for the spine you mentioned.

My kids wouldn't want CW uniforms either - unless they were CW heroes from Star Wars or something.leia.giflsabre.gifobiwan.gif

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I loved the book we ended up using as our spine--Two Miserable Presidents

Oh, Sheinkin's books are great, aren't they? You know, he has two more in the series. Maybe you could work Which Way to the Wild West into your Native American study. :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You are SO funny! I looked online and our library has all the KB DVDs. I am going to look for the spine you mentioned.

My kids wouldn't want CW uniforms either - unless they were CW heroes from Star Wars or something.leia.giflsabre.gifobiwan.gif

The series is also available on instant play on Netflix if you are set up for that. Love, love, love this new technology!